2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

Here's my take on what happened (congrats to everyone)

1. FloMo: deserved and everyone saw it coming (congrats on the 3-peat, just don't choke late season). was so surprised to see more of the show and MAN. THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING AT NATS

2. Hebron: music was a given, didn't get to watch it but i'd assume it was great. (as reflected with scores) area c will be a tough one

[on a random note: i was in the lot with ld bell as hebron was on the field. LET ME TELL YOU THEY WERE SO LOUD AND I COULD AUDIBLY HEAR THE ARTICULATION FROM THE LOT. THAT WAS JUST SPECTACULAR]

3. Marcus: that horn player was legendary. and LOUD MARCUS? HUH? AND THEN THE VISUAL CLEANLINESS HOLY

4. Keller: they clearly stepped up since heb. a lot of improvement has definitely paid off.

5. Coppell: interesting show idea. cool mandies/vista prop; though, it's implementation in the show could be better

6. L.D. Bell: they just need to clean more and get their closer on the field. had they did, i would've had them much higher but great job to the kids. [also, finals run was much better than prelims according to the kids. leave it up to the performers to say about it.] there's a lot of room for improvement for this group and hopefully, it will pay off by area

7. Wakeland: boa judging WTF.

8. Carroll: man. rip music scores. but i still love them either way

9. Timber Creek: man. same thing with carroll but the visuals... man.

10. Lone Star: boa judging WTF part 2. also rip music scores (deserved higher imo)

11. Forney: great performance! and also shoutout to micah [the wheelchair trumpet player] and tomoki [the blind flute player]

12. Aledo: boa judging WTF part 3.

Gonna follow up raydurs and do what i did for heb.

1. Flower mound: I could genuinely write an essay on how good the opener is alone. Nationals will definitely be interesting. I have never seen an entire audience give a standing ovation the way they did flo mo last night. People started standing before the show had ended and when it did literally everyone was on their feet. The show design and music is definitely giving me a blue devils 2014 type vibe. When this show is fully cleaned they’re going to be unstoppable. Tho I felt their score should’ve been more towards 88-89 range it was still a darn high score. Easily my favorite show of the year, I’m so glad I got tickets to nationals. Off to buy some flo mo band swag!

2. Hebron: Definitely deserved 2nd and if flo mo had happened to have a bad run they could’ve even taken 1st. That soprano soloist in the ballad is just simply incredible and then the trombone feature/alto bone solo in the closer? Definitely gonna be top 4 at sa imo. If not top 4 top 5 for sure. It was no surprise to me at all when they won music. Can’t wait to see the last little bit of their closer on the field.

3. Marcus: I honestly feel like their heb marching finals run was better. They were definitely cleaner last night but the energy in their opener was lacking a bit to me. The gasp when they tied with flo mo for visual was pretty funny honestly. What can I say? Marcus visuals are clean! And they’re only going to get cleaner! And that applies to everything else that has to do with the show. It’s clean, but only going to get better. I absolutely love the new mello soloists costumes, makes total sense with the prop colors. They keep going the way they’ve been, they’re going to do great later in the season.

4. Keller: Feel like they should’ve placed lower than coppell or even bell. Their show is sooooo hard but it’s dirty. It’s much improved since heb so they been putting that work in, but it’s not quite where it needs to be. Definitely think with waxahachie not making finals that gives us a sign that keller has a chance at winning area this year. I feel like one of the biggest issues i’m having watching keller is i’m not really feeling musicality, all just shred shred shred shred and barely anything moving. That’s not to say their opener isn’t musically because the dynamic control from those first few notes the ensemble plays is really nice. If they get this show nice and cleaned they’re gonna be right back in sa finals and state finals. 

5. Coppell: well what a step up for them! Not the biggest fan of the show theme or the music but the visual effect that comes from the very end of the show? It’s so good. They really have a shot for a medal at stl. Not only a medal at stl but maybe a spot in sa finals? They still play like coppell and it seems to me that they’re moving a lot better now too. Their new director is seriously doing some stuff with them now. Great job coppell and good luck at stl. 

6. Ld bell: my former band director at bell once told us all after the 2019 season that “we are like the roach from wall e, nothing can kill us” and that kind of clicked last night. Bell has seemingly struggled all season and as an alum it was so good to see them still in the top half after the the last year and half. I think they have a shot for state this year if they reaaaaallly clean. I can’t wait to see their closer on the field, ive heard it’s their best movement this year. Great job blue raiders!

7. Wakeland: Prelims seemed iffy for them, finals tho? Man they were awesome. This show will be very very good when state comes around. I really like that there isn’t a lot of props but their drill makes up for it. I also like how they’re not shredding 24/7 in this show and yet still place this well. Easy and clean over difficult and dirty any day. Not saying their show is easy by any means but compared to the music that say timber creek or lone star is playing it’s relatively easier. I think they’ll get top 3 at state again this year, excellent showing from them the last 2 weeks.

8. Southlake Carroll: I like the new ending a lot, but I am a guy that likes soft ending shows. The show definitely needs some tidying up before st. louis, but I think they can handle that. This group got 12th in prelims and then rose up to 8th in finals. Quite the jump if you ask me. Wishing the carroll band good luck on their trip to stl!

9. Timber creek: Much improved since heb and they have their ballad now! Maybe this will be the year they qualify for state? Who knows. Great performance tc.

10. Lone star: Mkay, there’s gonna be some bloodshed at 5A state. I graduated from bell so I had mostly paid attention to the big 6a groups rather than the 5a’s. Was surprised to hear they made finals but when they did their finals run i was more surprised on how much better it was! Excited to see them in the future, def on the rise.

11. Forney: that moment at the end where the drum major picks up the bow and shoots it as the band finishes is such a unique part of their show. Definitely a step up for forney this year, congrats.

12. Aledo: definitely entertaining, if i’m not mistaken this is aledo’s first time in dfw finals in quite some time. Congrats to them, definitely deserved.

1 hour ago, cjm715 said:

1. Flower mound: I could genuinely write an essay on how good the opener is alone. Nationals will definitely be interesting. I have never seen an entire audience give a standing ovation the way they did flo mo last night. People started standing before the show had ended and when it did literally everyone was on their feet. The show design and music is definitely giving me a blue devils 2014 type vibe. When this show is fully cleaned they’re going to be unstoppable. Tho I felt their score should’ve been more towards 88-89 range it was still a darn high score. Easily my favorite show of the year, I’m so glad I got tickets to nationals. Off to buy some flo mo band swag!

2. Hebron: Definitely deserved 2nd and if flo mo had happened to have a bad run they could’ve even taken 1st. That soprano soloist in the ballad is just simply incredible and then the trombone feature/alto bone solo in the closer? Definitely gonna be top 4 at sa imo. If not top 4 top 5 for sure. It was no surprise to me at all when they won music. Can’t wait to see the last little bit of their closer on the field.

3. Marcus: I honestly feel like their heb marching finals run was better. They were definitely cleaner last night but the energy in their opener was lacking a bit to me. The gasp when they tied with flo mo for visual was pretty funny honestly. What can I say? Marcus visuals are clean! And they’re only going to get cleaner! And that applies to everything else that has to do with the show. It’s clean, but only going to get better. I absolutely love the new mello soloists costumes, makes total sense with the prop colors. They keep going the way they’ve been, they’re going to do great later in the season.

4. Keller: Feel like they should’ve placed lower than coppell or even bell. Their show is sooooo hard but it’s dirty. It’s much improved since heb so they been putting that work in, but it’s not quite where it needs to be. Definitely think with waxahachie not making finals that gives us a sign that keller has a chance at winning area this year. I feel like one of the biggest issues i’m having watching keller is i’m not really feeling musicality, all just shred shred shred shred and barely anything moving. That’s not to say their opener isn’t musically because the dynamic control from those first few notes the ensemble plays is really nice. If they get this show nice and cleaned they’re gonna be right back in sa finals and state finals. 

5. Coppell: well what a step up for them! Not the biggest fan of the show theme or the music but the visual effect that comes from the very end of the show? It’s so good. They really have a shot for a medal at stl. Not only a medal at stl but maybe a spot in sa finals? They still play like coppell and it seems to me that they’re moving a lot better now too. Their new director is seriously doing some stuff with them now. Great job coppell and good luck at stl. 

6. Ld bell: my former band director at bell once told us all after the 2019 season that “we are like the roach from wall e, nothing can kill us” and that kind of clicked last night. Bell has seemingly struggled all season and as an alum it was so good to see them still in the top half after the the last year and half. I think they have a shot for state this year if they reaaaaallly clean. I can’t wait to see their closer on the field, ive heard it’s their best movement this year. Great job blue raiders!

7. Wakeland: Prelims seemed iffy for them, finals tho? Man they were awesome. This show will be very very good when state comes around. I really like that there isn’t a lot of props but their drill makes up for it. I also like how they’re not shredding 24/7 in this show and yet still place this well. Easy and clean over difficult and dirty any day. Not saying their show is easy by any means but compared to the music that say timber creek or lone star is playing it’s relatively easier. I think they’ll get top 3 at state again this year, excellent showing from them the last 2 weeks.

8. Southlake Carroll: I like the new ending a lot, but I am a guy that likes soft ending shows. The show definitely needs some tidying up before st. louis, but I think they can handle that. This group got 12th in prelims and then rose up to 8th in finals. Quite the jump if you ask me. Wishing the carroll band good luck on their trip to stl!

9. Timber creek: Much improved since heb and they have their ballad now! Maybe this will be the year they qualify for state? Who knows. Great performance tc.

10. Lone star: Mkay, there’s gonna be some bloodshed at 5A state. I graduated from bell so I had mostly paid attention to the big 6a groups rather than the 5a’s. Was surprised to hear they made finals but when they did their finals run i was more surprised on how much better it was! Excited to see them in the future, def on the rise.

11. Forney: that moment at the end where the drum major picks up the bow and shoots it as the band finishes is such a unique part of their show. Definitely a step up for forney this year, congrats.

12. Aledo: definitely entertaining, if i’m not mistaken this is aledo’s first time in dfw finals in quite some time. Congrats to them, definitely deserved.

FloMo’s opener is spectacular, hard agree on that. The direction and the way the tone continually changes as it continues kinda like what you’d expect from Dr. Suess, the very beginning reminding me of Hebron 2019 with the warmth of the flute opening and narration, but just more interactive as Hebron’s known to already be pretty much in their first drill set prior to playing. And then the band starts popping up from the backfield with the music taking a hard turn very much reminiscent of BD for sure. Great playing from the pit and then the ever so glorious warm opening hit, very well done from flo-mo, I think they’re gonna force themselves into medal contention at Nats. With how well they go about preparation, many saying how much they’ve already improved, i think it has more legs than our other Team Texas shows, except probably CTJ and that’s saying a lot?

8 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

I just got to see Coppell’s show and I was so surprised and impressed to see how well they’ve developed the visual side of their shows. Also they have contras now? I wonder if they’ll eventually replace sousaphones as the mainstream option for even Texan bands.

They have had contras since 2017

5 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

FloMo’s opener is spectacular, hard agree on that. The direction and the way the tone continually changes as it continues kinda like what you’d expect from Dr. Suess, the very beginning reminding me of Hebron 2019 with the warmth of the flute opening and narration, but just more interactive as Hebron’s known to already be pretty much in their first drill set prior to playing. And then the band starts popping up from the backfield with the music taking a hard turn very much reminiscent of BD for sure. Great playing from the pit and then the ever so glorious warm opening hit, very well done from flo-mo, I think they’re gonna force themselves into medal contention at Nats. With how well they go about preparation, many saying how much they’ve already improved, i think it has more legs than our other Team Texas shows, except probably CTJ and that’s saying a lot?

Oh yeah unless they pull a ‘19 and fall off in the late season (which I will be SO upset if that happens) they’re gonna medal at nats

3 hours ago, cjm715 said:

Thought the judging and placement at this competition was spot on!  Will be interesting to see how this aligns to Area results in the next few weeks.  

22 hours ago, daldhowe said:

Thought the judging and placement at this competition was spot on!  Will be interesting to see how this aligns to Area results in the next few weeks.  

I’m excited to see how area plays out this year. Duncanville placed 9th over at mckinney and Waxahachie didn’t even make finals here at dfw so that’s a little concerning. However i’m sure both bands will still do great!

13 hours ago, slowbrass said:

Just figured this out myself, the ballad is Oblivion by Astor Piazzolla. Boston Crusaders played it in ‘08.

You can find their rep from this link. It has almost everyone's rep listed. 

https://marching.musicforall.org/program-dallasftworth-2021/

edit: although i just realized Hebron only lists composers and FloMo doesn't have anything listed. But you can find other bands haha