2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

10 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

That opening hit from Hebron...WOW. What sets them apart for me from other groups is the power of the low brass; I could hear them so distinctly throughout the entire opener. The visual book might not be super difficult but it is executed very well, and the technical abilities of their trumpets and mellophones are unmatched. Their woodwinds have always been phenomenal, especially the saxophones. I cannot say enough just how good the Hebron winds are. They are the best sounding band in the state for me.

Edit: I also forgot to mention how I love that the last set of the show spells out Hebron like they're signing off on the show. Nice little drill design there.

Thank you for verifying the Hebron signature at the end of the show.  I saw them this morning and thought it said that!  

Congrats Flower Mound!!! Extremely well deserved!

I think the gap between Bell and Wakeland is way too big, but that’s pretty common with the top and bottom 6 format. 

Keller in 4th! Huge improvement from HEB. I though Coppell had them beat, but it’s easy to get distracted and equate props with a higher score (although it was super close.)

Hebron really is forever the bridesmaid. That said, Flower Mound was PHENOMENAL tonight, and definitely earned that championship. I think I generally agree with the results, but I do think the gap between the top and bottom half isn't as big as the scores make it seem. Unfortunately that's just something that happens since that rule was introduced.

I remember competing at BOA DFW when I went to Southlake Carroll about 6 years ago and we placed almost dead last in prelims. Proud to see them fight and climb year after year. All Texas bands are absolutely insane and talented, and even those who don’t get the results they want are still among the best in the nation. Texas marching band will always make me proud. 

Wow, the scores in prelims were incredibly tight at 5-7. LD Bell was 0.05 points above Timber Creek, who was 0.15 points above Wakeland. Really goes to show how influential the top half bottom half splits are when you compare those results to the finals results. Then you have Keller a full point above LD Bell, and Coppell over two points above Keller. Very fascinating stuff.

33 minutes ago, An Inspirational Pinecone said:

Is it just me or is the top half bottom half split getting out of hand? I feel like there shouldn't have been that big of a score gap between Bell and Wakeland right?

I agree. In all TX regionals so far, there have been no cases of a bottom 6 band moving into top 6 after finals… Wakeland definitely seemed like a massive improvement in their prelims to finals and I would have had them in top 6 for sure.

4 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Wow, the scores in prelims were incredibly tight at 5-7. LD Bell was 0.05 points above Timber Creek, who was 0.15 points above Wakeland. Really goes to show how influential the top half bottom half splits are when you compare those results to the finals results. Then you have Keller a full point above LD Bell, and Coppell over two points above Keller. Very fascinating stuff.

Prelims even in the top 3 was a lot closer then it was in finals. 

the difference between 6th and 7th in prelims vs finals is VERY VERY interesting.

Just now, avgbandfan5 said:

Timber creek in 7th by a close margin with 6th and placed 4th in music and 2nd in visual ensemble, I think the top and bottom half split screwed them over

And this is a problem. What we are looking at is two seperate competitions in finals. One for 7-12 and one for 1-6. The entire BOA structure is wack.

Scores are a little bit... low... at the top. I was expecting Flower Mound to be closer to Reagan's 88 from last week. Maybe that's kind of the cost of having a quirky show. (The "cost." Let's face it, Flower Mound did fantastic here. 87 is a huge number for October 9th.) Hebron's score is actually lower than what The Woodlands got 2 weeks ago, which is concerning. But maybe this was just a really stingy panel. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hebron break into the top three at San Antonio, but the competition is definitely going to be fierce.

Marcus got a solid score here, but again, not quite as high as I would have expected.

Great to see Coppell in 5th (close to 4th)! That's where I would have had them going into the contest. Big things in the future for this group!