2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

Wakeland with a very classic and well-performed show! I think Wine Dark Sea is overplayed in the band world recently but they are definitely doing it justice! Some really cool effects with the drill. Another great band to look out for at 5A State! Great velocity in the drill at the end and I like that the first and last set are very similar. 

3 minutes ago, Origin said:

Wakeland with a very classic and well-performed show! I think Wine Dark Sea is overplayed in the band world recently but they are definitely doing it justice! Some really cool effects with the drill. Another great band to look out for at 5A State! Great velocity in the drill at the end and I like that the first and last set are very similar. 

I agree- I think Wakeland's show will fare really well at State.

I’m not usually the biggest fan of circus shows, but this Coppell show is so good. So much theming with all the props and whatnot. Awesome big guard too. All the new guard costumes and colors in the ballad are beautiful. There’s so much going on at the end it’s a bit overwhelming haha. I wish they used the giant prop in the middle a bit more effectively, but this show is fantastic! 

Coppell has some top tier woodwinds. The runs they did in the closer were executed masterfully! The ballad is turning into one of my favorites of the season, from the guard and two dancers in the center to the big hit with Humoresque near the end. Great show, and one that I think may be good enough for a medal at St. Louis in a couple weeks.

Has to switch to multi cam for Flo Mo, but I’m honestly not mad because this show is SO GOOD!! I was hoping for a more fun Flower Mound show this season, and they are delivering!!! The guard is insanely good. Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Flo Mo struggles with ending their shows, like I wish the final moment was as impactful and creative as the other amazing moments in the show. That performance is gonna be hard to beat though. Maybe my favorite show this season (close with TWHS and Hebron.)

Flower Mound's closer really wraps everything up. The GE in this show is off the charts, there's just so much to look at and take in. Each and every one of the performers on the field from the front ensemble to the choir group at the front are so immersed in the performance that it really draws you in to the world of Seuss! I was a bit hesitant when I first saw this show in the Marcus football game video but now that they have what appears to be the entire show on the field it really does all come together very nicely. This will be a great production at Grand Nationals!

That opening hit from Hebron...WOW. What sets them apart for me from other groups is the power of the low brass; I could hear them so distinctly throughout the entire opener. The visual book might not be super difficult but it is executed very well, and the technical abilities of their trumpets and mellophones are unmatched. Their woodwinds have always been phenomenal, especially the saxophones. I cannot say enough just how good the Hebron winds are. They are the best sounding band in the state for me.

Edit: I also forgot to mention how I love that the last set of the show spells out Hebron like they're signing off on the show. Nice little drill design there.