2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

This may not end up Hebron’s weekend imo. Their production seems incomplete still, hopefully we’ll be seeing another layer added on Saturday. FloMo on the other hand, has a capital S Show. Not everything lands for me, but they’ve got huge full ensemble moments that just explode with GE, both musically and visually. When flower mound is marching in a block there isn’t a more aesthetically pleasing sight in all of the Texas band world. Plus that opening statement? That’s going to KILL in Indy. My favorite FloMo show by far since vitrify. 

I know Keller got 5th at HEB this past weekend but it was just a prank y'all... I went to the KISD band expo yesterday and their electronics were working, but they still had mic problems lol ? 

HEB certainly changed up my predictions. I was looking at the HEB and DFW results from 2019 and there was a lot of shifting between contests so I don't know what to expect still.

My current predictions:

1. Flower Mound
  2. Hebron
  3. Marcus
  4. Wakeland
  5. Keller
  6. Coppell
  7. Waxahachie
  8. Timber Creek
  9. Carroll
  10. LD Bell
  11. James Martin
  12. Forney

3 hours ago, Raydurs said:

Think of it this way: it's "Year of the Dragon", except it's not even the year of the dragon [it's the ox this year].

The show is a Chinese themed show, and the props are pretty much a generalized and stereotypical Chinese/oriental design. In fact the props AREN'T EVEN CHINESE; THEY'RE JAPANESE TORIIS WITH A DRAGON THROWN ON TOP OF IT.

The music isn't even close to Asian, from what I've heard so far.

The uniforms are with the Chinese theming too, which literally looks like this [minus the scroll]. And then the guard uniform's look like the Cobra Kai logo, replacing the cobra with a dragon of course.39116897-man-in-traditional-clothing-hol

And you can see why someone can possibly be offended with this show design.

I am well aware that Haltom has a good number of Asian students, most notably Southeast Asians (Laos, Thai, Cambodian, and Vietnamese), but I'm not sure if this is the best way to represent them. You could possibly argue the same thing with their 2019's show.

Yeah, this doesn't sound too great. As an Asian American myself I like that they wanted to try a show with Asian influences but am disappointed that they seemed to not have implemented those influences in the best way possible. Regardless, I'm sure the show will still be great and I hope those students are still enjoying themselves while performing it!

3 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Yeah, this doesn't sound too great. As an Asian American myself I like that they wanted to try a show with Asian influences but am disappointed that they seemed to not have implemented those influences in the best way possible. Regardless, I'm sure the show will still be great and I hope those students are still enjoying themselves while performing it!

good intentions, bad execution.
birdville 2021's show is even worse.

design wise**

Ahhh, I always enjoy this contest, it’ll be great to catch both prelims and finals and get a good read of all the finalists’ shows twice, especially the GN attendees, we’ll see what other groups have improved since their first competitions as well! Familiar venue to anyone in Pennington, very much looking forward to it!

9 minutes ago, cjm715 said:

Prosper is great this year, we’ll see what they got with a full show on the field

Saw a glimpse of what the closer should look like. I'm very excited for them. They're likely make state in Area C, given what we've seen so far and who's making it here. Again, depends on cleanliness and so far, Prosper has been doing a great job at that.

Just now, Raydurs said:

Saw a glimpse of what the closer should look like. I'm very excited for them. They're likely make state in Area C, given what we've seen so far and who's making it here. Again, depends on cleanliness and so far, Prosper has been doing a great job at that.

Yeah area c should be no problem, they’re certainly not gonna get passed the big 3 but will snatch 4th easily.

3 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Ahhh, I always enjoy this contest, it’ll be great to catch both prelims and finals and get a good read of all the finalists’ shows twice, especially the GN attendees, we’ll see what other groups have improved since their first competitions as well! Familiar venue to anyone in Pennington, very much looking forward to it!

Agreed, this contest will us a lot on how these bands will perform in the following weeks leading up to the grand slam at Area, State, San Antonio, and Nationals.

Very excited to see how Marcus and Flower Mound will do, praying that they will represent us very high at Nationals!

1 hour ago, slowbrass said:

This may not end up Hebron’s weekend imo. Their production seems incomplete still, hopefully we’ll be seeing another layer added on Saturday. FloMo on the other hand, has a capital S Show. Not everything lands for me, but they’ve got huge full ensemble moments that just explode with GE, both musically and visually. When flower mound is marching in a block there isn’t a more aesthetically pleasing sight in all of the Texas band world. Plus that opening statement? That’s going to KILL in Indy. My favorite FloMo show by far since vitrify. 

That's definitely the toughest part to predict DFW with. My only problem with Flower Mound is that they might have a visually dirty performance over Hebron. And then music is expected to be handed to Hebron, and trust me I'll lose my marbles if a show that insane doesn't win that caption. Though their show is "incomplete" in your words, they definitely have more than Flower Mound, from what we saw at Wylie, and what I heard about at the FloMo v. Hebron game.

This is definitely a step up from Vitrify, in terms of music, visuals, and GE (which is going to be their biggest advantage).

Just now, Raydurs said:

That's definitely the toughest part to predict DFW with. My only problem with Flower Mound is that they might have a visually dirty performance over Hebron. And then music is expected to be handed to Hebron, and trust me I'll lose my marbles if a show that insane doesn't win that caption. Though their show is "incomplete" in your words, they definitely have more than Flower Mound, from what we saw at Wylie, and what I heard about at the FloMo v. Hebron game.

This is definitely a step up from Vitrify, in terms of music, visuals, and GE (which is going to be their biggest advantage).

was there at flo mo hebron game and can confirm hebron is almost done with their closer and has a lot more on the field than flo mo.

I am planning on attending on Saturday.  No more kids left in the band, but figured since I didn't get my fix last year I would cheer on the kids this year.  Does anyone know if they will allow you to bring bottled water into the stadium given it's supposed to be 94 degrees?  I know normally they wouldn't but with the temps so high, I would think they would want 
to do what they can so us fans don't pass out from the heat, LOL.   

2 hours ago, PSHSMom said:

I am planning on attending on Saturday.  No more kids left in the band, but figured since I didn't get my fix last year I would cheer on the kids this year.  Does anyone know if they will allow you to bring bottled water into the stadium given it's supposed to be 94 degrees?  I know normally they wouldn't but with the temps so high, I would think they would want 

I brought in some water bottles in a drawstring bag last weekend at HEB so I think it should be fine.

2 hours ago, PSHSMom said:

I'm sure they'll allow you to bring only water into the stadium.. not 100% positive on that.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:16 PM, Raydurs said:

Think of it this way: it's "Year of the Dragon", except it's not even the year of the dragon [it's the ox this year].

The show is a Chinese themed show, and the props are pretty much a generalized and stereotypical Chinese/oriental design. In fact the props AREN'T EVEN CHINESE; THEY'RE JAPANESE TORIIS WITH A DRAGON THROWN ON TOP OF IT.

The music isn't even close to Asian, from what I've heard so far.

The uniforms are with the Chinese theming too, which literally looks like this [minus the scroll]. And then the guard uniform's look like the Cobra Kai logo, replacing the cobra with a dragon of course.39116897-man-in-traditional-clothing-hol

And you can see why someone can possibly be offended with this show design.

I am well aware that Haltom has a good number of Asian students, most notably Southeast Asians (Laos, Thai, Cambodian, and Vietnamese), but I'm not sure if this is the best way to represent them. You could possibly argue the same thing with their 2019's show.

I definitely agree with your point. I don't see anything wrong with using both cultures, but you have to do it right and do it respectfully. I know Braswell HS did a fantastic job highlighting Asian cultures (Japanese and Chinese) in their 2018 production entitled "Lotus". They implemented both cultures by using Japanese Torii Gates in combination Chinese influenced Guard Uniforms, Asian Music Composition and A FULL CHINESE LION!!! Apparently some of their members are apart of a professional Lion Dance Team and the Director was super on board with using the talents of the kids! No problem of using Asian ideas, BUT DO IT RIGHT!

Im looking forward to seeing Braswell at this weekend, their show Invictus did great at BOA Midland last weekend. But Hebron, Marcus, and FloMo will be a great time!

DSC09677-min.JPG

On 10/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, slowbrass said:

My favorite FloMo show by far since vitrify. 

Lol. So, uh, since the last real season? I guess that's just how good FloMo is! They're awesome every year!

I do really like their show. Lots of really big, sparkling moments, like that opening hit I keep coming back to. Love the Seussian banner flags! Actually, everything is starting to look a lot more Seussian, which is good. I love how playfully it opens, with the front ensemble popping up like meerkats. Probably the 2nd best guard in Texas at the moment, too. I'm just having some trouble getting used to all the playfulness in the music design. It kind of goes off on some odd tangents. Of course, that's the point, but I'm wondering if it will connect with the audience.

I'm sure Hebron will be fine. They always sound great, and they had one of the strongest shows last year.