2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

9 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

HEB results have definitely thrown this competition into a bit of a blender. It's not a BOA contest, but the judging rubric is extremely similar, so Keller placing 5th there is a bit of a worry for them here. I thought they performed well enough to place better, but they did have a very short show. Marcus was fantastic and far and away the best band there. I think they have an outside shot at grabbing the music caption and maybe even moving into the top 2.

Honestly have seen all 3 of the lisd trio live this week and marcus was the best of all 3. I would say flo mo’s show has an insane amount of ge but I think marcus could definitely pull a win from this

Very excited about this one! The final piece of the puzzle. I'm looking forward to seeing Hebron for the first time, and seeing what Flower Mound and Marcus have added and how they've progressed. And of course Keller and LD Bell and all the other amazing groups. I might actually be able to watch the full finals for this!

17 hours ago, Irlmoth said:

Im in grapevine highschool and apart of colorguard! Happy to be here and see all the wonderful bands ❤️ I absolutely adored Wakeland’s performance at HEB but I never got to see Marcus. Excited for next weekend. If any other band kids are here good luck yall <3333

Hey congrats to y’all making finals! Y’all did great

On 9/29/2021 at 10:25 PM, Origin said:

Marcus gave a very very clean performance, but for a grand nats year, I’m honestly pretty underwhelmed with the scale of the show so far. Marcus never has the craziest drill, but it felt easy even for them. Musically, it’s a treat. The guard does a lot of the visual heavy lifting and they do it extremely effectively. I know they’ve never been the biggest band, but they looked surprisingly small? Only 5 tubas?

Flower Mound’s show has an interesting field setup, and is equally unorthodox in some of the music moments. I like FloMo’s more quirky shows, so I’m excited for this one. 

Actually there was a tuba or 2 missing because someone had to replace them because they were failing and they were not ready to perform yet

44 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Good morning! So me and my friend will be attend this contest, and it is our first BOA contest to go to? Any tips and advice. Obviously staying hydrated and eat amazing food, sunscreen and all that. Anything else?

Hey this is my second! Just be sure to be ready when your band director tells you and have plenty of water. Maybe bring a phone charger! If you have time you could even bring money for souvenirs. Just have a good time! See ya there ❤️

There’s a stream from the Wylie band contest where you can see Flower Mound’s show. There is already SO MUCH personality baked into this show. Such commitment to creativity! The guard will be giving TWHS a run for their money (okay maybe not, I’m not a guard expert, but they’re really really good.) The pacing of the show so far was interesting and I’m not sure I’m in love with the field setup, but this is a fantastic show imo. 

15 minutes ago, Origin said:

There’s a stream from the Wylie band contest where you can see Flower Mound’s show. There is already SO MUCH personality baked into this show. Such commitment to creativity! The guard will be giving TWHS a run for their money (okay maybe not, I’m not a guard expert, but they’re really really good.) The pacing of the show so far was interesting and I’m not sure I love the field setup, but this is a fantastic show imo. 

Did you see the falling trombones?

On 9/30/2021 at 11:40 PM, WILKINSON said:

One of the Haltom band members had said that they personally didn’t like the show because it seemed to be cultural appropriating. 

Think of it this way: it's "Year of the Dragon", except it's not even the year of the dragon [it's the ox this year].

The show is a Chinese themed show, and the props are pretty much a generalized and stereotypical Chinese/oriental design. In fact the props AREN'T EVEN CHINESE; THEY'RE JAPANESE TORIIS WITH A DRAGON THROWN ON TOP OF IT.

The music isn't even close to Asian, from what I've heard so far.

The uniforms are with the Chinese theming too, which literally looks like this [minus the scroll]. And then the guard uniform's look like the Cobra Kai logo, replacing the cobra with a dragon of course.39116897-man-in-traditional-clothing-hol

And you can see why someone can possibly be offended with this show design.

I am well aware that Haltom has a good number of Asian students, most notably Southeast Asians (Laos, Thai, Cambodian, and Vietnamese), but I'm not sure if this is the best way to represent them. You could possibly argue the same thing with their 2019's show.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, Irlmoth said:

Im in grapevine highschool and apart of colorguard! Happy to be here and see all the wonderful bands ❤️ I absolutely adored Wakeland’s performance at HEB but I never got to see Marcus. Excited for next weekend. If any other band kids are here good luck yall <3333

So proud of you guys! Was really hoping y'all could make finals, and did more than what I had originally expected! I love hearing y'all's arrangement of "Fly to Paradise" live! Such an incredible show to watch!

As we become closer to the biggest competition in the DFW area so far, my scouting crew and intelligence team have allowed me to change what rankings we could possibly see this Saturday.

1. Hebron/FloMo: same reason as before. their visuals are getting better for typical hebron! music is insane. their part 4 music >>> but the props tho!

2. Marcus/FloMo: they're so clean, musically and visually. but they'll make 2nd on the conditions if the judges lean more on cleanliness rather than ge. so happy to watch them sweep heb marching, congrats marcus! cool props, great musicality, the show design is typical marcus.

3. FloMo/Marcus: same reason as before. g.e. is insane so expect them to win in this caption. you want to listen to this live and from the 50. they are LOUD. This show is so fun. Hoping FloMo will have a great run.

4. Wakeland: Dear Wakeland kids, I'm so sorry for putting y'all so low. That HEB performance was AMAZING AND CLEAN! I'm absolutely so excited for all of you! 2021 5A State will be INTERESTING! It's honestly up in the air and the top contenders right now is Wakeland and Cedar Park.

5. L.D. Bell: Trust me. I'm begging you, give Bell a chance. I've heard rumors about Bell's performance at HEB Marching and what the judges said about it... give 'em a chance, even if it's a "recovery year". Oh yeah, how about that TROMBONE SOLOIST?

6. Coppell: Honestly the toughest placement between Coppell and Bell but this show is interesting. Saw a rehearsal recording and they look honestly alright! Classic Coppell drill design, and musicality. The staff change has not impacted them too much in my opinion, that Coppell energy still feels the same.

7. Keller: Depends if they wanna be good or bad. Also one thing to consider, their entire show is not on the field yet. Their GE is gonna be hard to determine this year. Great performance at HEB Marching!

8. Waxahachie: Still haven't heard anything about how they are at the moment. I've heard the show music and sort of idea but I honestly don't know how they will do... 6A Area B will be quite interesting... [this is also a uil-based show in my opinion, from a show design on the outside perspective]

9. Southlake Carroll: I honestly thought they would score much higher at HEB Marching after Mansfield POC but the judges said otherwise. I hope they can make finals here, especially with how competitive this contest is this year. Definitely a finals lock for STL. Still in love with that ballad.

10. Timber Creek: Big surprise at HEB Marching. Their show is interesting and I hope the best for this program. 

11. Keller Central: BOA Conroe and then HEB Marching. Their prelims run was quite weird with the restart... but that opener was cool! I'm excited to see how they will do this year. Best of luck to Keller Central!

12. Aledo: What even is this show, from what it is overall. These kids are great, they sound incredible and march pretty well! But this show... are you serious? "Walk Like an Egyptian" in the show... are you serious? Who's idea was it to put this in the show! But that Imogen Heap part, cool arrangement but... why are the woodwinds playing that little part instead of the brass..? Come on man!

13. James Martin: hard to place them in terms of the previous DFW contests... Mansfield POC scores were absolutely scuffed. They still got lots of things to work on but DFW is gonna be pretty difficult for them to make finals, unless they've fixed a ton of their major problems I mentioned like a week or so before. I'm praying for a miracle for them to make it.

14. Haltom: yeah haltom. they sound okay and look okay. their show is easy to clean but the show isn't as difficult as 2019 in my opinion. you can read my rant above but i think their music and visual scores will be alright. could possibly place higher.

15. Lone Star

16. BCent

17. PESH

Captions:

Hebron: music 100%

Marcus: visual

FloMo: general effect 100%

4A Champs: Hebron/FloMo????

3A Champs: Wakeland and you can't change my mind.

2A Champs: Forney (I think they're 2A not clue)

1A Champs: KRUM

I don't know where to put everyone else, and I will apologize for that. My "rankings" are probably very inaccurate but this season has been very difficult to predict. Best of luck to everyone competing in my home stadium.

All I wanna say is, with what I've seen so far. I wish I could change my predictions right now.

And dear Prosper, y'all should've signed up for this. Would've been great to see y'all again. I absolutely love the ballad solos and this show overall! :) <-accurate representation of my face after watching prosper

1 minute ago, Raydurs said:

As we become closer to the biggest competition in the DFW area so far, my scouting crew and intelligence team have allowed me to change what rankings we could possibly see this Saturday.

1. Hebron/FloMo: same reason as before. their visuals are getting better for typical hebron! music is insane. their part 4 music >>> but the props tho!

2. Marcus/FloMo: they're so clean, musically and visually. but they'll make 2nd on the conditions if the judges lean more on cleanliness rather than ge. so happy to watch them sweep heb marching, congrats marcus! cool props, great musicality, the show design is typical marcus.

3. FloMo/Marcus: same reason as before. g.e. is insane so expect them to win in this caption. you want to listen to this live and from the 50. they are LOUD. This show is so fun. Hoping FloMo will have a great run.

4. Wakeland: Dear Wakeland kids, I'm so sorry for putting y'all so low. That HEB performance was AMAZING AND CLEAN! I'm absolutely so excited for all of you! 2021 5A State will be INTERESTING! It's honestly up in the air and the top contenders right now is Wakeland and Cedar Park.

5. L.D. Bell: Trust me. I'm begging you, give Bell a chance. I've heard rumors about Bell's performance at HEB Marching and what the judges said about it... give 'em a chance, even if it's a "recovery year". Oh yeah, how about that TROMBONE SOLOIST?

6. Coppell: Honestly the toughest placement between Coppell and Bell but this show is interesting. Saw a rehearsal recording and they look honestly alright! Classic Coppell drill design, and musicality. The staff change has not impacted them too much in my opinion, that Coppell energy still feels the same.

7. Keller: Depends if they wanna be good or bad. Also one thing to consider, their entire show is not on the field yet. Their GE is gonna be hard to determine this year. Great performance at HEB Marching!

8. Waxahachie: Still haven't heard anything about how they are at the moment. I've heard the show music and sort of idea but I honestly don't know how they will do... 6A Area B will be quite interesting... [this is also a uil-based show in my opinion, from a show design on the outside perspective]

9. Southlake Carroll: I honestly thought they would score much higher at HEB Marching after Mansfield POC but the judges said otherwise. I hope they can make finals here, especially with how competitive this contest is this year. Definitely a finals lock for STL. Still in love with that ballad.

10. Timber Creek: Big surprise at HEB Marching. Their show is interesting and I hope the best for this program. 

11. Keller Central: BOA Conroe and then HEB Marching. Their prelims run was quite weird with the restart... but that opener was cool! I'm excited to see how they will do this year. Best of luck to Keller Central!

12. Aledo: What even is this show, from what it is overall. These kids are great, they sound incredible and march pretty well! But this show... are you serious? "Walk Like an Egyptian" in the show... are you serious? Who's idea was it to put this in the show! But that Imogen Heap part, cool arrangement but... why are the woodwinds playing that little part instead of the brass..? Come on man!

13. James Martin: hard to place them in terms of the previous DFW contests... Mansfield POC scores were absolutely scuffed. They still got lots of things to work on but DFW is gonna be pretty difficult for them to make finals, unless they've fixed a ton of their major problems I mentioned like a week or so before. I'm praying for a miracle for them to make it.

14. Haltom: yeah haltom. they sound okay and look okay. their show is easy to clean but the show isn't as difficult as 2019 in my opinion. you can read my rant above but i think their music and visual scores will be alright. could possibly place higher.

15. Lone Star

16. BCent

17. PESH

I don't know where to put everyone else, and I will apologize for that. My "rankings" are probably very inaccurate but this season has been very difficult to predict. Best of luck to everyone competing in my home stadium.

And dear Prosper, y'all should've signed up for this. Would've been great to see y'all again. I absolutely love the ballad solos and this show overall! :) <-accurate representation of my face after watching prosper

Aw man prosper isnt coming? No matter how dorky (in a very positive way) their theme/costumes are i loved their show at HEB. Hope to see them again another time!

3 minutes ago, Irlmoth said:

Aw man prosper isnt coming? No matter how dorky (in a very positive way) their theme/costumes are i loved their show at HEB. Hope to see them again another time!

Their uniforms are so cool. Ignore what people say about the smiles, their show is so wholesome. BUT THEIR CAPES. THE COOLEST PART. AND THEN THEIR CHEESE PROPS.

Also I got to see and touch the cheese up close before finals. [I probably gave them good luck... just kidding unless]

Just now, Raydurs said:

Their uniforms are so cool. Ignore what people say about the smiles, their show is so wholesome. BUT THEIR CAPES. THE COOLEST PART. AND THEN THEIR PROPS MMMMMMMMM CHEESE PROP.

Also I got to see and touch the cheese up close before finals. [I probably gave them good luck... just kidding unless]

Ugh i loved their capes. Honestly the maroon and yellow looks good together. Wish i couldve touched the cheese tho. Some of those guard members need to teach us saber cause our coach wont teach us until winterguard season