2021 BOA DFW (Oct. 9)

I'm curious to see how Coppell will do this season after having a decent amount of staff changes. Kim Shuttlesworth is leading the program now after the head director got promoted to the fine arts coordinator of the district and the associate director left for Tarpon Springs. It'll be interesting to see if she can reproduce similar levels of success that she had at James Bowie now that she's back at a 6A school. Ironically enough, the new associate director came from Bowie as well. 

4 hours ago, Raydurs said:

Redoing predictions now that we have a better understanding of what we could see in finals:

1. Hebron. (There's literally no doubt about it. Hebron. Unless Flower Mound decides to pull a 2019 and just perform their entire show on the field and destroy everyone.)

Also seeing Hebron perform at a football game, I think their show would most likely win this contest.

2. FloMo (Saw a performance, if they get everything they need on the field/everything up to the ballad and clean, they will have a great chance in winning. Really depends on how they would deal with finals as they will definitely be in the top 6 in prelims and hopefully get a great finals slot to potentially win. It's also a really interesting show, a must-watch show.)

3. Marcus

Yeah, they're here just by instinct and just because they're Marcus.

4. Keller

Saw a performance of their part 1, and heard part 2. I'm very curious to see how this does in finals. Again, also by instinct and their music/band is still great this year. Didn't have a marching show last year, but from their Blue Lights event or whatever, they sounded amazing. Subject to be adjusted by HEB Marching Contest

5. Waxahachie

They did the UIL process in 2020, and did phenomenal. I expect them to do better than ever now. Their music sounds interesting but I do not have any performances to go off on how well they will perform this. Really depends on how much they have on the field ready. We also know how well Wax does on state years! Will try to catch them at  the HEB Marching Contest

6. LD Bell

If they can improve and clean asap, they will have a great chance to beat Wax and/or Keller. Their show sounds pretty good so far from their community performance. I just hope their ballad will incredible if they get that down by DFW. Didn't have a marching year and HEBISD high schools are (10th-12th grade) so their numbers are quite something... Hopefully, they perform like rock-stars.

7. Coppell

It's really tough to guess where they would be, somewhere between 4-7, really depends on how clean they are for DFW. They got that Mandies/Vista prop and turned it into a carousel of sorts? I hope they do amazing this season. Went to state and made finals, they will do just fine here. They will probably do better in the UIL process though.

8. Haltom

Interesting show... "Year of the Dragon" except it's not even the year of dragon..? Nothing else to say about them...

9. Wakeland

I honestly have no clue how good they will be. I just know that they're excellent according to everyone. Could beat Haltom? I have no clue. Go ask an expert.

10. Martin

I LOVE THEIR OPENER SO MUCH. IT'S JUST SO GOOD.  However, if they work more on balance as an ensemble, they will be amazing once STL happens. Their volume is spectacular. They look pretty good visually for what it is, and there's a good chance that they could place higher. Depends on how good their prelims will be.

11. Carroll

yeah. carroll wooo! they're here. good luck carroll. this is from assumption and instinct.

12. Timber Creek

They do great on state years and usually do fine at DFW. This will be an interesting season for them, and that they will do great at DFW.

12. Prosper

Maybe they will take this spot or go higher, who knows.

Haven’t really gone searching for performances, but I did catch the Hebron/Martin game, and yeah, Hebron is phenomenal, as always! I wouldn’t cement them as uncontested at this moment really, ‘cause it’s always a tossup between the two and it’ll really depend what happens day of as to who wins here between Hebron and FloMo? and as for Martin(my Alma Mater WOOOO!!) they were only able to play their opener for halftime, there wasn’t enough time for their ballad sadly, but it’s great to see how quickly their show’s progressing, and a finalist spot in DFW would go a long ways to show how they’ll do in STL, I think they’re in finalist contention at both contests for sure, it’ll be likely that they’ll have their full show on the field by both contests as well, so it’ll be cleaning and improving the rest of the way for them!

16 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

Haven’t really gone searching for performances, but I did catch the Hebron/Martin game, and yeah, Hebron is phenomenal, as always! I wouldn’t cement them as uncontested at this moment really, ‘cause it’s always a tossup between the two and it’ll really depend what happens day of as to who wins here between Hebron and FloMo? and as for Martin(my Alma Mater WOOOO!!) they were only able to play their opener for halftime, there wasn’t enough time for their ballad sadly, but it’s great to see how quickly their show’s progressing, and a finalist spot in DFW would go a long ways to show how they’ll do in STL, I think they’re in finalist contention at both contests for sure, it’ll be likely that they’ll have their full show on the field by both contests as well, so it’ll be cleaning and improving the rest of the way for them!

Trying to be as vague as possible about both Hebron and Flower Mound but I think I can say that one program will be better than the other in certain captions... (cough cough music and visuals cough cough). I completely agree with Martin! It's great to see them again competing at DFW (at the Penn too!) and they will definitely be getting a finals spot. I heard what their closer sounds like and I'm so excited to see how far this program will get. Saw their ballad (I think) at a rehearsal, can't wait to see this under the lights at DFW (and what kind of dream they'll bring ;)).

18 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

I'm curious to see how Coppell will do this season after having a decent amount of staff changes. Kim Shuttlesworth is leading the program now after the head director got promoted to the fine arts coordinator of the district and the associate director left for Tarpon Springs. It'll be interesting to see if she can reproduce similar levels of success that she had at James Bowie now that she's back at a 6A school. Ironically enough, the new associate director came from Bowie as well. 

Heard the news about Coppell... I'm hoping they still do good this year... they were starting to pick up some good traction in the last few years. I'll have to show up to a rehearsal some day and see how they're doing and compose an opinion. The same thing is happening to Pearland in Houston. Really hurts to see bands starting to get better and all of a sudden their directors leave them.

6 hours ago, Raydurs said:

Trying to be as vague as possible about both Hebron and Flower Mound but I think I can say that one program will be better than the other in certain captions... (cough cough music and visuals cough cough). I completely agree with Martin! It's great to see them again competing at DFW (at the Penn too!) and they will definitely be getting a finals spot. I heard what their closer sounds like and I'm so excited to see how far this program will get. Saw their ballad (I think) at a rehearsal, can't wait to see this under the lights at DFW (and what kind of dream they'll bring ;)).

Could be possible Hebron wins both Captions!(visual’s typically harder for them to win but it’s possible) FloMo’s really good with GE, and with BOA that either tightens up the margins significantly, or just tips it in a band’s favor?I also definitely root for Hebron to pull off a win, speaking personally?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Coppell. Very impressed by what I saw! The beginning is giving me major What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? vibes. Twinkly and mildly unsettling! Pretty good sounds from the ensemble and soloists. They definitely have one of the better looking guards I've seen so far this year. No, they aren't catching everything, but at least they're mostly together. Really makes an impact from high up. I feel like with Kim Shuttlesworth as Coppell's director and Kevin Nix (I think?) as their visual guy, we're going to see them climb up the ranks pretty shortly.

Flower Mound and Marcus, both going to nationals, both with good shots of doing very, very well. I haven't seen or heard anything from them yet. Somehow I don't think Flower Mound's 2019 performance at San Antonio will be indicative of how they do this year. This is a recent 3-time San Antonio champion we're talking about. And Marcus has been looking and sounding a lot more like classic Marcus recently. Is classic Marcus still able to compete for the top? Not sure. But the sound they produce is just amazingly symphonic and warm and comforting.

Hebron will be great as always and will amaze me with their musicianship, but I'll definitely be looking with a bit of a keener eye toward the groups attending Nats.

6 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Flower Mound and Marcus, both going to nationals, both with good shots of doing very, very well. I haven't seen or heard anything from them yet. Somehow I don't think Flower Mound's 2019 performance at San Antonio will be indicative of how they do this year. This is a recent 3-time San Antonio champion we're talking about. And Marcus has been looking and sounding a lot more like classic Marcus recently. Is classic Marcus still able to compete for the top? Not sure. But the sound they produce is just amazingly symphonic and warm and comforting.

Hebron will be great as always and will amaze me with their musicianship, but I'll definitely be looking with a bit of a keener eye toward the groups attending Nats.

Marcus has definitely maintained that classic Marcus vibe this year. It'll do just fine like every other year, especially being a Nats year. Just look at how they did in 2017 and compare it with every other year after that, including 2020. [won 6A Area C, and 4th at state] They will still be able to hold their position. I completely agree with Flower Mound. 3rd place at 2020 state after that 9th place finish at SA 19, this most likely shows that 2019 was a fluke. They've definitely gotten something together.

20 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Haven’t gotten to see flo mo yet but I have heard some things about their program. I have a friend in the marcus band and they asked me to come watch a rehearsal a week ago or so. Wow. I’ll say they’re putting out much more sound than i’ve heard in the past, really excited to see them do their thing this season. 

Hebron’s show just sounds awesome. Plain and simple. Really really excited for that show.

3 hours ago, cjm715 said:

Haven’t gotten to see flo mo yet but I have heard some things about their program. I have a friend in the marcus band and they asked me to come watch a rehearsal a week ago or so. Wow. I’ll say they’re putting out much more sound than i’ve heard in the past, really excited to see them do their thing this season. 

Hebron’s show just sounds awesome. Plain and simple. Really really excited for that show.

Don't think I have ever heard Hebron do anything "Plain and simple" from a musical perspective, usually it is quite difficult.   Was that just a turn of phrase I am interpreting incorrectly or is it a more basic show than in the past?

On 9/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, principalagent said:

I think he meant that it’s awesome, simply put (and I agree! Another music caption contender and the show seems a bit more UIL geared than the GN travelers’ shows, although I’m not sure what that’ll mean with design components finally and officially factoring into the rubric and sheets now).

Yeah! This is what I meant, I’m going to their community performance this weekend which I’m looking forward to. From the vid I saw their drill seems to be slightly easier which visual performance has always been their weakness so maybe they’re trying not to do something so extremely challenging so they can clean it easier. Their music is still killer, as always.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:53 PM, cjm715 said:

Yeah! This is what I meant, I’m going to their community performance this weekend which I’m looking forward to. From the vid I saw their drill seems to be slightly easier which visual performance has always been their weakness so maybe they’re trying not to do something so extremely challenging so they can clean it easier. Their music is still killer, as always.

hebron music score go BRRRRRRRRR

Every group here is capable of making some great sounds and give a great performance and it looks to be a really tough, exciting contest! I will say though, even with their early draw, Hebron has a comparatively tame block of bands around them compared to the next two, especially the last one?? it’s gonna be an amazing afternoon block of prelims, and then a crazy good finals in the evening??

Not sure about anyone else, but this contest is really hard to predict, mostly because I haven't seen most of the bands and that historically this competition has been fierce. So here's my two cents so far:

- Almost 99.99% certain Flower Mound, Hebron, and Marcus remain in the top three. With captions, I could see either FloMo or Hebron sweeping, or a mix of the two. 

- Keller and Haltom fighting for 4th and 5th, with Bell slipping down to 6th, maybe 7th. Bell's size has reduced to around 90-100 brass and woodwind on the field (they usually have 120) and there aren't that many experienced marchers so they aren't at their 2019 level, and probably won't be until at least next year. 

- Coppell, Waxahachie, Timber Creek, and Wakeland place anywhere between 7th-10th.

- I literally can't predict the last two finalist spots because there's a good number of bands that could snag them. Maybe we'll see some newcomers?

Hoping to see a few of the bands at the HEB Marching Contest so I can get better predictions, but weather might be an issue. Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, balumni2023 said:

Not sure about anyone else, but this contest is really hard to predict, mostly because I haven't seen most of the bands and that historically this competition has been fierce. So here's my two cents so far:

- Almost 99.99% certain Flower Mound, Hebron, and Marcus remain in the top three. With captions, I could see either FloMo or Hebron sweeping, or a mix of the two. 

- Keller and Haltom fighting for 4th and 5th, with Bell slipping down to 6th, maybe 7th. Bell's size has reduced to around 90-100 brass and woodwind on the field (they usually have 120) and there aren't that many experienced marchers so they aren't at their 2019 level, and probably won't be until at least next year. 

- Coppell, Waxahachie, Timber Creek, and Wakeland place anywhere between 7th-10th.

- I literally can't predict the last two finalist spots because there's a good number of bands that could snag them. Maybe we'll see some newcomers?

Hoping to see a few of the bands at the HEB Marching Contest so I can get better predictions, but weather might be an issue. Fingers crossed. 

From what i’ve heard about haltom they’re not doing so hot this year so I doubt that they would place over the likes of bell or even coppell or wax. Coppell is not to be underestimated, they have james bowie’s old band director now and have stepped up their game quite a bit. Still playing very very well but kinda dirty visually, however they look better compared to years passed so that will probably gain them some leverage. Really excited to see what they do. I’ve seen bell recently and they’re doing much better since that community performance vid dropped. Much cleaner musically and visually and just finished their ballad on the field and working on volume and balance with that. Now I do agree with you that they’re not ‘19 good, that group was bigger and is very different from this group but I personally don’t think that they have fallen off completely. Last two spots will most likely be keller central and southlake carroll. 

No clue what to think so far for this contest, as I've seen virtually zero bands from this contest outside of Hebron through a football broadcast and Coppell from a postgame video that is now several weeks old. Both sounded very good but it's been several weeks since then so who knows what they look like now. Things will definitely be a lot clearer after HEB this weekend (if that contest still happens, weather gods be willing). I do think we'll be seeing Southlake Carroll in finals, as they apparently looked very good at Mansfield this past weekend.

It does seem like the DFW bands tend to be more secretive about their shows early season lol. And if BOA Conroe and Austin have proven anything, it's that there will likely be some surprises.

2012 was the last time a band other than Flower Mound and Hebron won this regional and that was by Marcus. That probably won't change this year either but it sure would be exciting if it did.

Just now, josephbandfan said:

It does seem like the DFW bands tend to be more secretive about their shows early season lol. And if BOA Conroe and Austin have proven anything, it's that there will likely be some surprises.

2012 was the last time a band other than Flower Mound and Hebron won this regional and that was by Marcus. That probably won't change this year either but it sure would be exciting if it did.

Would be pretty sweet if marcus pulled a fast one on flo mo and hebron

1 minute ago, cjm715 said:

Saw hebron at their community performance this passed saturday, their hornline has never sounded better for this time of year and they way they move is looking much improved as well. I just wish their show was designed a little better if you know what i’m saying. Some interesting things could happen concerning them tho?

The big fountain pens are…interesting