2021 BOA Katy (Oct. 2)

This contest to be held at Legacy Stadium on Saturday, October 2.

8:00 a.m. – Morton Ranch H.S., TX
8:15 a.m. – Clear Springs H.S., TX
8:30 a.m. – Katy H.S., TX
8:45 a.m. – Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
9:00 a.m. – Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
9:15 a.m. – Foster H.S., TX
9:30 a.m. – Bridgeland H.S., TX
9:45 a.m. – Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

10:00 a.m. – BREAK

10:30 a.m. – Westlake H.S., TX
10:45 a.m. – Clear Brook H.S., TX
11:00 a.m. – Paetow H.S., TX
11:15 a.m. – Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
11:30 a.m. – Magnolia H.S., TX
11:45 a.m. – Cypress Park H.S., TX
12:00 p.m. – Terry H.S., TX
12:15 p.m. – Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
12:30 p.m. – Clear Creek H.S., TX
12:45 p.m. – Friendswood H.S., TX

1:00 p.m. – BREAK

1:45 p.m. – Dawson H.S., TX
2:00 p.m. – Oak Ridge H.S., TX
2:15 p.m. – Brazoswood H.S., TX
2:30 p.m. – Cy-Fair H.S., TX
2:45 p.m. – Odem H.S., TX
3:00 p.m. – Cypress Falls H.S., TX
3:15 p.m. – Lake Travis H.S., TX
3:30 p.m. – Seven Lakes H.S., TX
3:45 p.m. – Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX
4:00 p.m. – James E. Taylor H.S., TX
4:15 p.m. – Pearland H.S., TX
4:30 p.m. – Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
College Park dropped out

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Official Prelim Schedule

7:30 - Morton Ranch H.S., TX
7:45 - Clear Springs H.S., TX
8:00 - Katy H.S., TX
8:15 - Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
8:30 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
8:45 - Foster H.S., TX
9:00 - McKinney Boyd H.S., TX
9:15 - Bridgeland H.S., TX
9:30 - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
9:45 - Westlake H.S., TX
BREAK
10:30 - Clear Brook H.S., TX
10:45 - Paetow H.S., TX
11:00 - Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
11:15 - Magnolia H.S., TX
11:30 - Cypress Park H.S., TX
11:45 - Terry H.S., TX
12:00 - Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
12:15 - Clear Creek H.S., TX
12:30 - Friendswood H.S., TX
12:45 - College Park H.S., TX
BREAK
1:45 - Dawson H.S., TX
2:00 - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
2:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX
2:30 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
2:45 - Odem H.S., TX
3:00 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
3:15 - Lake Travis H.S., TX
3:30 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
3:45 - Little Cypress-Mauriceville H.S., TX
4:00 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX
4:15 - Pearland H.S., TX
4:30 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

1: Ronald Reagan

2: Cedar Ridge

3: Pearland 

4: Westlake

5: Seven Lakes 

6: Stephen F. Austin

7: Bridgeland (trust me) 

8: Lake Travis 

9: Cy-Fair

10: Oak Ridge

11: Brazoswood

12: JE Taylor

“7 Bridgeland”

The Visual and Music scores are there, the show is very confusing when it comes to design.

9 hours ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

“7 Bridgeland”

The Visual and Music scores are there, the show is very confusing when it comes to design.

I went to the Woodlands game vs Bridgeland on sep. 10 and got to speak with both parents from the bands which was cool. From what I've got its a show about fashion and love between Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky ( Lake Travis 2018 but Bridgeland is doing it better) It explains it a lot because of the music by Stravinsky and the fashion runway knowing Coco Chanel was a famous womens designer (it explains the coco chanel logo at the beginning). I hope this is what you were confused on or I would have said all this for nothing lol.

3 hours ago, Houston213 said:

I went to the Woodlands game vs Bridgeland on sep. 10 and got to speak with both parents from the bands which was cool. From what I've got its a show about fashion and love between Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky ( Lake Travis 2018 but Bridgeland is doing it better) It explains it a lot because of the music by Stravinsky and the fashion runway knowing Coco Chanel was a famous womens designer (it explains the coco chanel logo at the beginning). I hope this is what you were confused on or I would have said all this for nothing lol.

that's actually so cool

10 hours ago, Houston213 said:

Ok, that makes more sense, I do not know how judges will take it.

1 hour ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

Ok, that makes more sense, I do not know how judges will take it.

I dont think BOA judges judge a bands show design, ( at least I think they don't) they mainly judge visual, music and general effects so even if the judges don't really get the show no points will de deducted because of it.

53 minutes ago, Houston213 said:

I dont think BOA judges judge a bands show design, ( at least I think they don't) they mainly judge visual, music and general effects so even if the judges don't really get the show no points will de deducted because of it.

Short response is yes, design is part of what the judges look at.

Slightly longer response: The music/visual performance ensemble and the music/visual general effect have subcaptions that require the judge to evaluate the effectiveness of the design from the particular requirements of each area.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NEWWAVE96 said:

Top 12 Predictions

1) Ronald Reagan 

2) Seven Lakes

3) Cedar Ridge

4) Pearland

5) Westlake

6) CY Fair

7) James E Taylor

8  Dawson

9) College Park

10) Bridgeland

11)  SFA

12) Clear Brook

Also congrats to Dawson for making BOA finals for the first time on Saturday! I think they are going to do really well this season!!

Yea congrats to them, excited to see Clear Brook here since they swept at Friendswood. Also kudos to College Park for getting back in there!!

This competition is always useful in gauging the general strength of bands between Austin and Houston due to the few Austin bands that always make the trip. Westwood and Westlake made the trip down in 2019 and had a lot of success (an early sign of Austin's strength that year), and I get the feeling Cedar Ridge, Westlake and even Lake Travis will do the same this year. I also get the feeling North Houston's scores were a little bloated this past week, but Cedar Ridge V. Seven Lakes and Pearland V Westlake should give us our first real barometer of how bands across regions are shaping up. Of course I would also love to see Houston defend it's territory as well!

3 hours ago, LHSax said:

This competition is always useful in gauging the general strength of bands between Austin and Houston due to the few Austin bands that always make the trip. Westwood and Westlake made the trip down in 2019 and had a lot of success (an early sign of Austin's strength that year), and I get the feeling Cedar Ridge, Westlake and even Lake Travis will do the same this year. I also get the feeling North Houston's scores were a little bloated this past week, but Cedar Ridge V. Seven Lakes and Pearland V Westlake should give us our first real barometer of how bands across regions are shaping up. Of course I would also love to see Houston defend it's territory as well!

I agree that the Houston- North Scores appear bloated, and that is a huge gap between 1st and second but I expected the gap. Before they split this into 2 separate sites, BOA Conroe generally had TWHS, CTJ, Reagan, and Vandergrift and it was generally a coin toss to predict who would walk away a winner. this is not intended to be a knock on any of the great programs that competed this weekend at Conroe, but I fully expected TWHS to sweep this event.

As I look at the Katy lineup, I fully expect that Reagan will also walk away as a clear winner by a few points and well into the mid 80's. - this is assuming that there is no major drop off with the new director at Reagan. (Asst. for the past decade there)

we will get another good look at CTJ and Reagan on the 9th back at Kelly Reeves for the TMC as they line up against Vandegrift after Vandy bested CTJ on Saturday by .25 with scores of 84.

can't wait for this to come together at the dome.

So, uh, Reagan's winning this one with a 90, right? ? What was it last time? Prior to bulldozing the rest of the field? 89-point-something?

Seven Lakes, Pearland, Cedar Ridge, Westwood, etc. could provide a pretty decent comparison, but I feel like every year there are really sudden, seemingly random shifts in placement and scores when groups go from one early season regional to another. The scoring consensus hasn't really formed yet. Maybe Pearland will jump up a bit, for example. My take on North Houston is that the scores in finals were significantly inflated below 2nd place and slightly inflated at and above it -- based on what I saw on the webcast. The prelims scores look more accurate to me. For example, I'd probably give upper-ish 70 scores for Seven Lakes and Klein Oak, 81-ish for Cypress Woods, and 85-ish for The Woodlands. That's just me trying to fit them in historically with other shows and with what I saw at Austin, which the judges didn't have the means to do.

Video of Reagan out there from the NEISD fall band festival. It’s a great show, and the full show looks to be on the field. I was really excited to hear “Running Up That Hill” at the beginning. The audio is pretty bad because of the wind. I think they might be a bit behind where they were at this point in 2019 (especially in the guard) but that’s to be expected this year, plus their season is longer this year. The show feels like Secret World Part 2, but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it I guess. CTJ performed right after Reagan and I think CTJ has the edge right now, but for this competition, Reagan will dominate.