2021 BOA Conroe (Sept. 25)

9 hours ago, Bandmomlover said:

SFA has another beautiful show, reminiscent of the one in 2019. I’ve heard they have taken a major hit from COVID in numbers, ability to practice, mostly virtual until this year and more than half of the band are freshman and sophomores who have never marched. Hope they are able to bring it together because it will be stunning 

I've got my fingers crossed! They were really great in 2019. I am a bit concerned if more than half of the band has never marched, but I feel like that's a position a lot of groups are in this year, so maybe it won't be that much of a setback.

8 hours ago, TWHSParent said:

I just watched their show and I agree. They really could get into finals with what I saw. Dare I say darkhorse for top half?

Klein Oak is definitely producing some very nice sounds in that first football game performance vid. I can see them in finals for sure. I just don't know where, because I haven't really seen enough groups.

Btw, just watched the most recent (mostly crappy field-level) vid of TWHS. Yeah, it's a great show, but those costumes... lol... I just can't. I'm sorry. It's like a double whammy with the guard outfits. They don't read Cabaret at all. But they are weirdly mesmerizing to look at from high up. When that side 1 brass block assembles in the first movement, it was fascinating, the way the costumes kind of play with each other when mixed like that.

Also surprised that they don't have more on the field. Seems cleaner than 2 weeks ago, but not much has been added, unless they're saving more for Saturday. Really need to see it from higher up.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, contrabassclarinet said:

Sad to see them go. Hoping that this was just something like the show not being ready for a competition and not that they have a bunch of marchers out with COVID right now. Spreadsheet has been updated with new times reflecting the schedule change.
Also, to @Quadmom68- I'll do my best to put together a spreadsheet for the Mansfield comp!

That would be awesome! Thanks so much! 

36 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I've got my fingers crossed! They were really great in 2019. I am a bit concerned if more than half of the band has never marched, but I feel like that's a position a lot of groups are in this year, so maybe it won't be that much of a setback.

Klein Oak is definitely producing some very nice sounds in that first football game performance vid. I can see them in finals for sure. I just don't know where, because I haven't really seen enough groups.

Btw, just watched the most recent (mostly crappy field-level) vid of TWHS. Yeah, it's a great show, but those costumes... lol... I just can't. I'm sorry. It's like a double whammy with the guard outfits. They don't read Cabaret at all. But they are weirdly mesmerizing to look at from high up. When that side 1 brass block assembles in the first movement, it was fascinating, the way the costumes kind of play with each other when mixed like that.

Also surprised that they don't have more on the field. Seems cleaner than 2 weeks ago, but not much has been added, unless they're saving more for Saturday. Really need to see it from higher up.

“Really need to see it from higher up.”

yes, and yes. ?

Editing to add:  kidding aside, Cabaret is mostly thought of as a more seedy night club entertainment… but it can also just be entertainment….  As a parent I’m glad it’s themed as bright and cheerful and happy entertainment- with no worries of inappropriate costuming for these teenagers.  

Edited by Bandmomx4
Additional thoughts

48 minutes ago, Bandmomx4 said:

Editing to add:  kidding aside, Cabaret is mostly thought of as a more seedy night club entertainment… but it can also just be entertainment….  As a parent I’m glad it’s themed as bright and cheerful and happy entertainment- with no worries of inappropriate costuming for these teenagers.  

I definitely understand your concerns about putting teenagers in fishnet stockings with short pants. ? That's probably why I would have never chosen this theme in the first place. Can't really commit to it. You're right though: the show is very bright and cheery, which is much appreciated at this time. And technically, yes, despite usually being adult in nature, cabaret isn't necessarily adult entertainment.

14 minutes ago, TWHSParent said:

There is a place called "The Cabaret" in Indy. May be interesting to check out with your oodles of free time while you are there! From the website it seems to be more the general entertainment type rather than the risqué type.

I wish I were going to Indy! There's something magical about seeing shows in person. I just don't have the time anymore. I'm always either in the lab or giving a presentation or working on some side project. I won't be seeing any groups this weekend, either -- not live anyway, because I've agreed to take on somebody else's coding project. I feel like it will be late season again before I watch anything live. Such is life!

After seeing SFA recently, I would like to share some insight. They are alot smaller this year, closer in size to their 2013-2016 groups. Visually, they are probably stronger than I have ever seen them. The show has so much demand and they are executing it beautifully. I think they are a dark horse to win the visual caption. Musically, you can tell it is a very young band. While they are lacking in volume, there are absolutely no bad sounds being made. While they should be in finals, I could see them having WIDELY varying caption scores. Beautiful show!

10 minutes ago, Origin said:

Pearland - Impressive all around. I appreciate the strong commitment to the simultaneous demand of marching and playing. The guard has some great moments like when the white flags came out. A strong potential medalist here and one to look out for in San Antonio. 

Agreed. I really like the direction the program has taken over the last few years. They are continuing to get better and better.

Class AA:

Outstanding Music Performance - Bridge City H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Performance - Bridge City H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect - Bridge City H.S., TX

Class AA - 1st - Bridge City H.S., TX

Class AAA:

Outstanding Music Performance - Wylie East H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Performance - Dripping Springs H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect - Wylie East H.S., TX

1st - Wylie East H.S., TX

2nd - Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

3rd - Tie - Dripping Springs H.S., TX & L.V. Berkner H.S., TX

Class AAAA:

Outstanding Music Performance - The Woodlands H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Performance - The Woodlands H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect - The Woodlands H.S., TX

1st - The Woodlands H.S., TX

2nd - Cypress Woods H.S., TX

3rd - Seven Lakes H.S., TX

Finalists:

James E. Taylor
Cypress Woods
Seven Lakes
Wylie East
The Woodlands
Dawson
Pearland
Cy-Fair
College Park
Stephen F. Austin
Keller Central
Klein Oak

7:30 — College Park H.S., TX
7:45 — Cy-Fair H.S., TX
8:00 — James E. Taylor H.S., TX
8:15 — Pearland H.S., TX
8:30 — Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
8:45 — Dawson H.S., TX
9:00 — Keller Central H.S., TX
9:15 — Klein Oak H.S., TX
9:30 — Wylie East H.S., TX
9:45 — Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:00 — Seven Lakes H.S., TX
10:15 — The Woodlands H.S., TX

Surprised not to see Pearland in the top half, though I do remember the last part of their show being quite messy. They do usually peak late.

5 minutes ago, Origin said:

7:30 — College Park H.S., TX
7:45 — Cy-Fair H.S., TX
8:00 — James E. Taylor H.S., TX
8:15 — Pearland H.S., TX
8:30 — Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
8:45 — Dawson H.S., TX
9:00 — Keller Central H.S., TX
9:15 — Klein Oak H.S., TX
9:30 — Wylie East H.S., TX
9:45 — Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:00 — Seven Lakes H.S., TX
10:15 — The Woodlands H.S., TX

Surprised not to see Pearland in the top half.

OK, so my 2 main predictions came true:

College Park in Finals, and Klein Oak in top half.

I too am surprised by Pearland's placement.