2021 BOA Conroe (Sept. 25)

2 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

This may be the best woodlands show since 2013 (in my opinion). I’m gonna be so sad if they end up pulling out!

They’re on higher ground than much of the metro and their community has some of the best flood planning in the area too. They should be okay to compete in a week and a half. They might just lose a day or two of rehearsal. 

2 hours ago, Danpod said:

The tropical storm in the Gulf is about to dump plenty of rain on the Houston area the next few days.  Schools are already cancelling classes/rehearsals for the next day or two.  Along with possible quarantine issues existing with some programs, don't be surprised if some bands decide to pull out of the Conroe contest.  It's an unfortunate situation for all involved and I hope the Houston area remains as safe as possible.

At least it's not as strong a storm as Harvey, but it's gonna be a rainy week for sure.

I'm definitely still concerned about COVID spreading in bands. I've noticed several groups this year with multiple holes, and it's making me wonder if it's pandemic-related. Safety should always be the top priority.

11 hours ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Figured I'd share this here- we're sitting at less than a week from this comp. This spreadsheet is how I've been tracking bands over the past few weeks. Tons of bands that are very neck-and-neck, and a good few more that I haven't seen any show footage of. If anyone wants/needs me to change something on the spreadsheet, let me know. Super excited to see how Conroe is gonna pan out! :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RM9LSfyrOQfsAdTyK-1f5xG6Z36sMFSftvvxhJUG-Vo/edit?usp=sharing
Also gonna add that I have way too much time on my hands outside of rehearsal and practicing for region band so if any of y'all want me to make a similar spreadsheet for another competition I'd be down!

Great job! Love it!

On 9/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, Rubisco said:

At least it's not as strong a storm as Harvey, but it's gonna be a rainy week for sure.

I'm definitely still concerned about COVID spreading in bands. I've noticed several groups this year with multiple holes, and it's making me wonder if it's pandemic-related. Safety should always be the top priority.

The spreadsheet nerd in me loves this and will 100% be using this 

13 hours ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Figured I'd share this here- we're sitting at less than a week from this comp. This spreadsheet is how I've been tracking bands over the past few weeks. Tons of bands that are very neck-and-neck, and a good few more that I haven't seen any show footage of. If anyone wants/needs me to change something on the spreadsheet, let me know. Super excited to see how Conroe is gonna pan out! :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RM9LSfyrOQfsAdTyK-1f5xG6Z36sMFSftvvxhJUG-Vo/edit?usp=sharing
Also gonna add that I have way too much time on my hands outside of rehearsal and practicing for region band so if any of y'all want me to make a similar spreadsheet for another competition I'd be down!

Thank you so much for this:)

On 9/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, contrabassclarinet said:

Oooh, can you do one for Mansfield Preview of Champions, coming up this Saturday, September 25th? I would be really interested. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, contrabassclarinet said:

So cool! Thank you for doing this!

Sad to see them go. Hoping that this was just something like the show not being ready for a competition and not that they have a bunch of marchers out with COVID right now. Spreadsheet has been updated with new times reflecting the schedule change.
Also, to @Quadmom68- I'll do my best to put together a spreadsheet for the Mansfield comp!

3 hours ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Sad to see them go. Hoping that this was just something like the show not being ready for a competition and not that they have a bunch of marchers out with COVID right now. Spreadsheet has been updated with new times reflecting the schedule change.
Also, to @Quadmom68- I'll do my best to put together a spreadsheet for the Mansfield comp!

I believe they dropped this contest because of the tropical storm that hit a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Alvin said:

Random question.  Does anyone know if you need cash for parking at this event?  It’s been awhile and I seem to remember that maybe that was the case.  Thanks!

The last time a BOA contest was held at Woodforest the answer was yes. I don't know if they have changed anything for this year. So unless someone has firm info I would prep for cash parking.

17 hours ago, contrabassclarinet said:

Would love to help out with that spreadsheet!

8 hours ago, Alvin said:

Random question.  Does anyone know if you need cash for parking at this event?  It’s been awhile and I seem to remember that maybe that was the case.  Thanks!

It's $10 per car for parking.  Should probably have cash but parking attendants are supposedly taking credit card as well.  Also, there is less parking than normal due to construction on the north side of the stadium.  Therefore, they may run out of parking mid-afternoon but BOA is providing shuttles from Oak Ridge High School down the street to the stadium as necessary.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the potentially obvious but I think COVID will still have a huge impact this year. There were school districts who had nearly a normal show and season last year but there were also other districts that were almost completely shut down last year—no show, no practice, loss of many current and potential students. 18-19 months of no band is hard to overcome in a few months…who practiced, performed, competed last year besides Katy and The Woodlands?

47 minutes ago, Bandmomlover said:

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the potentially obvious but I think COVID will still have a huge impact this year. There were school districts who had nearly a normal show and season last year but there were also other districts that were almost completely shut down last year—no show, no practice, loss of many current and potential students. 18-19 months of no band is hard to overcome in a few months…who practiced, performed, competed last year besides Katy and The Woodlands?

Cy-Fair ISD and Lamar CISD had semblances of normal. 

Not saying much until after the competition cause I don't want to jinx my program, but I do believe that bands that had a competitive year last year are going to place better than they might have if every band had had a season last year. I think that the momentum from the previous season is definitely a big help and that some programs will have to spend a season or two rebuilding after losing a year.

8 hours ago, Bandmomlover said:

it will be interesting to see what the impact will be. some programs that did not have a competitive season last year in some cases will have a freshman and sophomore class that are new to the rigorous marching season especially with this being a UIL State year for all. Many programs appear to be smaller this year. I know our district tracked the number of students lost to music/fine arts across all grade levels compared to 2019 and the number is significant and will have an impact for years to come on the high school programs as their feeders rebuild.  I know that 4 of the 7 Texas bands going to Indy this year competed in UIL state in December, time will tell what the true impact will be.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, Rubisco said:

The fight for finals will be interesting for sure. Houston groups haven't been the most consistent.

How is SFA looking and sounding this year? I think I must have missed them when they performed first in St. Louis finals in 2019, because I didn't remember them, but watching the video, I was very impressed by the visual and was surprised to see they had placed 8th. So of course I had to check the scores. 3rd place in visual performance but 8th in VGE. I wonder if the VGE would have been higher if they had performed closer to the top half group. Anyway, I think they could be a real contender again if the music catches up to that visual.

SFA has another beautiful show, reminiscent of the one in 2019. I’ve heard they have taken a major hit from COVID in numbers, ability to practice, mostly virtual until this year and more than half of the band are freshman and sophomores who have never marched. Hope they are able to bring it together because it will be stunning 

17 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

I could see Klein Oak sneaking in here. They got 29th at BOASA in 2019 ahead of several BOA Katy finalists, and are in general a rapidly  rising program. I expect them to at least be 15th. 

I just watched their show and I agree. They really could get into finals with what I saw. Dare I say darkhorse for top half?