2021 BOA Austin (Sept. 25)

5 minutes ago, rdmmp said:

Not sure how soon they will disappear, but the streams from last night are still on youtube (for now).

So wonderful to see all these kids hard work showcased!  Can't wait to watch each show evolve as the season continues!

I can’t find them if you would be generous and “not” message me them that would be lovely ;)

Vista Ridge, I mean I give this group a huge amount of credit for tackling this beast of a show. They know that a lot of eyes are on them this season, and they really want to deliver. I think part of that is taking risks, which they did via the musical and visual demands placed on the performers, and also with regards to the content, by injecting Katy Perry into the music. Like others, I'm not a big fan of the Katy Perry stuff. I just didn't really understand the layering of a masterpiece like Samuel Barber's First Symphony with... well.... Katy Perry. I definitely respect the attempt though! It will be interesting to see what changes they make as they enter late season, because this is a group that has a habit of major improvements.

1 hour ago, BandFan59 said:

Yes, sadly the streams were cut to just award ceremonies but I'm already seeing dozens of videos taken from the stands floating around the tube. I expect bands will probably get most of them taken down but some may last awhile.

I got Leander but I’m keeping mine unlisted. 

I was bored so I timed the amount of show each band in finals had on the field. Unfortunately I couldn't time Bowie due to Box5's streaming issue that night. This includes any pre-show to the very last note. 

1. CTJ - 12:14

2. Rouse - 7:44

3. Cedar Park - 7:28

4. Weiss - 7:18

5. Vandegrift - 6:56 

6. Westwood - 6:55

7. Leander - 6:35

8. Cedar Ridge - 6:23

9. Vista Ridge - 6:12

10. Westlake - 5:54

11. Round Rock - 5:48 

40 minutes ago, Nny14 said:

I was bored so I timed the amount of show each band in finals had on the field. Unfortunately I couldn't time Bowie due to Box5's streaming issue that night. This includes any pre-show to the very last note. 

1. CTJ - 12:14

2. Rouse - 7:44

3. Cedar Park - 7:28

4. Weiss - 7:18

5. Vandegrift - 6:56 

6. Westwood - 6:55

7. Leander - 6:35

8. Cedar Ridge - 6:23

9. Vista Ridge - 6:12

10. Westlake - 5:54

11. Round Rock - 5:48 

Interesting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 6:52 AM, Bandmanio said:
On 9/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, Rubisco said:

Okay, so the music sounds like it could be early season Bowie, and I like the arrangement, but I was thrown off a bit by the guard. It's a lot smaller and less... uh... world class looking than usual? They were the absolute standard for guards in TX just a few years ago. This might be another case of pandemic rebuilding, unfortunately. Question for anybody who knows: did the Bowie guard compete at all last winter guard season? I don't remember. I know they didn't do the WGI virtual thing.

Lots of guards are taking a hit this season it seems. I think it underscores just how fragile guard programs are in general.

Bowie Winter Guard did not compete last spring. The guard lost all of its upperclassmen, and this year is about a third of its normal size. It’s a complete rebuild. Daniel Riley was brought in from Castle (IN) and SCV to be the director. They’ll get back to the previous standard but it’ll take a little time.