2021 BOA Austin (Sept. 25)

Just now, Eelisee said:

I’m sorry every single Round Rock parent had to drive orphans to a hospital.

lol don't get so stressed out about what others are doing, enjoy the fact that we just witnessed one heck of a competition that everyone can be proud of.
if it really upsets you, write a poem to their band director, don't drag the vibe down here. :)

2 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Looks like it was also visual GE that kept CTJ from winning. They were 0.6 points behind Vandegrift in that category while being behind overall by 0.25 points. I did think Vandegrift was cleaner visually right now, but the absurd difficulty of CTJ's drill probably dragged them down a bit as well for cleanliness.

0.3 point difference in GE*

21 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

Really happy to see Rouse place top 3 here! I loved watching their 2019 show! 

However, for those in attendance, what caused Leander to place 7th? I wasn't able to watch prelims or finals today, so I was shocked to see them lower than usual.

It looks like the VGE caption dragged them out of the top half more than anything. VPE didn't help either. I think the judges were right. I think the brass and winds handled the drill and movement well, but there's some weakness visually elsewhere in the band.

Ok here's my take from going today.

Definitely gonna start with my alma mater. Insanely proud of those kids, they are something else this year. Getting 15th is pretty big, and 12th in GE? Insane. Their new director seems to be doing well with them.

And here's my thoughts on finals:

Bowie: Solid show, I just can't get it out of my mind that Bowie's show was the one in the background of the Flo video of Luke Gall calling Genesis 2021's uniforms, "poggers"

Westwood: I loved this show. I did musical pit my junior year and the musical was Beauty and the Beast, so I was playing my timpani part along with the show

Leander: Such a fun concept. It sounded great and I really enjoyed this one

Westlake: Good stuff, really enjoyed the soloists

Round Rock: I was blown away in prelims. Them being the first band I see live since 2019? Good stuff

Weiss: The Golden Goddess moved onto 18th century France. So much good stuff going on, and the fan break!

Rouse: Oh my gosh, 3rd? Amazing! Favorite part has to be the closer. Love seeing Bruckner's 8th actually being played as a closer.

Vandegrift: Does anything more need to be said? Vandy Bandy! I wasn't too into it in prelims, but I got hooked in finals. The people around me saw me go crazy during that show for the music, just wow

CTJ: Same thing. Absolutely phenomenal. Those pianos oh my gosh! No way that's a freshman playing piano. So much fun watching this one. CTJ brought decibels.

Cedar Park: One of my favorites of the night. I really like the writing of this show. Never thought Medea and Somebody I Used to Know would sound so great together. And the crazy flowing drill the woodwinds do, just wow

Cedar Ridge: Medea! Always got some of the best percussion in the area, if not the state. But WOW they played loud, great sound. I was blown away

Vista Ridge: Such a good rendition of Barber 1. Crazy stuff going on visually it's so cool. I'm definitely not used to a fire drum break without them all spinning.

This show was a much needed event. Wow! What a show! There were a lot of surprises and a lot of parents leaving with broken hearts. 

I am torn on Vandy and CTJ. I love Vandy's shows every year and this one is no different. I usually am not a big CTJ fan but I love, love, love this show. Those keyboard players can rip it. I was in attendance with a nationally ranked PhD competition pianist (I made him go to his first ever marching band contest tonight) and he was floored by what those players were laying down. Vandy and CTJ are going to have a great fight all year and we get to enjoy that benefit. CTJ's dynamics were incredible tonight. 

Rouse: every year they come out so clean and visually stunning. I'm excited to see how this show progresses. 

Cedar Park: They landed in the spot I predicted they would. The show is very well put together and challenging. They looked great in prelims and finals. The best front ensemble in show tonight.

Vista Ridge: This is the first show by them that I really like. I like where it's going, I like where I think it can go. They have made massive progress on this show from the first time I saw it this season. They need some cleaning and early season contests really help with that. I don't get the voice overs in this show. Maybe it will all make sense as they complete the show. 

Cedar Ridge: That's a fun show! I really liked this one. Great sounds, great battery.

Leander: I'm still not feeling this show when stacked in a contest. They have really made strides bringing it alive. Their ability to refine through a season is fantastic. 

Westlake: Nice show. I really enjoyed it. Kudos to the directors for challenging the students not only in marching but also with the music. 

Round Rock: They are on their program for a Grand Nats year. They sound great. This show will begin to score better as the season moves along. I love the entrance around the stage by the brass in the opener. 

Bowie: I conceptually don't get the show. Their finals performance was better than the prelims. 

Westwood: This should have scored higher. They had some ripping happening in prelims which mostly got fixed in finals. Big beautiful sounds. Entertaining show. 

Weiss: My wife and I have been rooting for Weiss for a few years. Great job in making finals! Making Austin finals is a different mindset. Tonight was a learning experience that will serve your organization very well. I loved the show in prelims. It was tight and flowing.  Me thinks nerves got the best of the rookies tonight (and that's a good thing)! 

Wow!! This was such a fun finals to watch!! Lot's of surprises too! I'll give my takes on tonight's performances :)

Bowie: I really liked the opener and especially the ballad, lot's of great sounds! Though I didn't really understand the theme, it was a great show to open the finals contest. Kudos to the soloists too!

Westwood: BATB is one of my all time favorite movies so I was very happy to hear this was the theme! The pre-show made me really nostalgic with the narration. I loved the rendition of "Belle" and "Be Our Guest" was just so fun to watch! Lot's of power too! Very very happy with this show and personally think it should have placed higher.

Leander: Leander never fails to entertain. The minivan prop is really fun to watch drive around the field. The sax and trumpet ensemble was great and gave a lot of groove and flare to the show. The clari ensemble was also very pretty. Big fan of the ballad, love those chords. Though its scale is smaller than their recent shows, still a blast to watch.

Westlake: Saxophone solo = so freaking good, you go man! Opener was very pretty.The brass and woodwind features were both very good. I was also a very big fan of the flags used by the guard. Solid show.

Round Rock: Ever since I was a freshman, I've envied those unis, they look so great under the lights. The opening hit is very very powerful I love it! The ballad was also a highlight. 

Weiss: This was my first time watching Weiss perform and it was awesome. Uniforms caught me off guard at first but I think they make a nice color palette along with the guard (which looked great btw). Oboe solo was pretty. The choreo section with the fans was a very cool moment too. I don't quite get the theme/concept though. They have a bright future.

Rouse: 3rd place what!!!?? So happy for them! I was a huge fan of the saxophone soloist along with the ww trio. They bring a lot of power for a band of their size. Very clean for September too!  Really liked the color guard here too. Excited to see how their season goes.

Vandegrift: Is there anything that can be said that already hasn't been said? Vandy not only knows how to play loud, but they do it with such elegance that I'm just awestruck every time I hear them. Percussion top notch as always. The choreo and drill were also very impressive. Also, those guard costumes were probably my favorites of the night. Ballad was beautiful and the guard really helped elevate that moment for me. Just shows why this band won Nationals. 

CTJ: Wow...just wow. That has to be one of my favorite shows of all time. The production just screams fun fun fun and it looks like the performers are just having a blast out there. The piano duo was awesome, as were the ensembles, especially the saxes. They were the loudest band out there tonight and they were always in the groove (and this show is VERY groovy). The costumes looked great as always and the props also helped elevate the show to another level. Big kudos to the singer as well, she sounded fantastic! I cannot wait to see the final product in November!  This is a must see show.

Cedar Park: I'm happy to see Cedar Park is making a comeback! Big fan of the opener and that ballad was great! Soloists were on point too. Also huge fan of their guard tonight.  Their eye prop is also cool. Overall solid show. 

Cedar Ridge: Definitely a highlight from tonight. The opener was sick, jazzy, groovy, and I loved it. The quartet was very nice. They also made very good use of those ladders haha. The last section was also awesome. Groovy, groovy, groovy. Super fun show to watch, I'm excited to see it again later in the season. (Also the purple unis are sweet).

Vista Ridge: Very, ambitious show again! The opening hit along with its choreo is so good. The soloists did their thing, especially the soprano! The big blue props are also a very nice sight to see, they add a lot of color to the field. CG costumes were also very cool. Lot's of great sounds too, though I think they can definitely be louder ;) The Katy Perry voice overs are a bit distracting though, they don't really match well with what is going on on the field. This show has a lot of potential and with some cleaning, could be their best show yet!

Personal Rankings:

CTJ
Vandegrift
Cedar Ridge/Vista Ridge
Leander
Westwood/Rouse
Westlake
Round Rock
Cedar Park
Weiss
Bowie