2021 BOA Austin (Sept. 25)

I signed up for Box5 Media so I can see the early block in Austin before we drop off our son at CTJ around 10am and then head to Austin, I am thinking if I time it right, I can be sitting in the parking lot at Bucee's so I can log in and stream the Leander show at 11am and then head to Austin. heck, if I can get my wife to drive, I will just stream the event all the way up I-35. Right now the weather is going to be sunny and in the low 90's - (no raining on this parade)  grab water and sun screen (and some Bush's chicken tenders.)

The schedule has been revised since Del Rio and Stony Point have dropped out. The contest now has a start time of 9:00 am and the first break was removed. 

9:00 a.m. – Lake Travis H.S., TX
9:15 a.m. – East View H.S., TX
9:30 a.m. – Burnet H.S., TX
9:45 a.m. – Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 a.m. – Westlake H.S., TX
10:15 a.m. – Midlothian Heritage H.S., TX
10:30 a.m. – Robert E. Hendrickson H.S., TX
10:45 a.m. – The Ann Richards School, TX
11:00 a.m. – Leander H.S., TX
11:15 a.m. – Pflugerville H.S., TX

11:30 a.m. – Break

12:15 p.m. – Princeton H.S., TX
12:30 p.m. – Weiss H.S., TX
12:45 p.m. – Vista Ridge H.S., TX
1:00 p.m. – Anderson H.S., TX
1:15 p.m. – Rouse H.S., TX
1:30 p.m. – Bastrop H.S., TX
1:45 p.m. – Cedar Park H.S., TX

2:00 p.m. – Break

2:45 p.m. – Round Rock H.S., TX
3:00 p.m. – Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
3:15 p.m. – Westwood H.S., TX
3:30 p.m. – Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
3:45 p.m. – James Bowie H.S., TX
4:00 p.m. – Vandegrift H.S., TX

Okay, so the music sounds like it could be early season Bowie, and I like the arrangement, but I was thrown off a bit by the guard. It's a lot smaller and less... uh... world class looking than usual? They were the absolute standard for guards in TX just a few years ago. This might be another case of pandemic rebuilding, unfortunately. Question for anybody who knows: did the Bowie guard compete at all last winter guard season? I don't remember. I know they didn't do the WGI virtual thing.

Lots of guards are taking a hit this season it seems. I think it underscores just how fragile guard programs are in general.

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Okay, so the music sounds like it could be early season Bowie, and I like the arrangement, but I was thrown off a bit by the guard. It's a lot smaller and less... uh... world class looking than usual? They were the absolute standard for guards in TX just a few years ago. This might be another case of pandemic rebuilding, unfortunately. Question for anybody who knows: did the Bowie guard compete at all last winter guard season? I don't remember. I know they didn't do the WGI virtual thing.

Lots of guards are taking a hit this season it seems. I think it underscores just how fragile guard programs are in general.

I was noticing exactly the same thing. It’s a shame we don’t have the guard culture here overall like they have in parts of Indiana, California and Florida. CTJ and The Woodlands definitely seem unaffected though. TWHS did do a WGI winter guard season this year though and so did CTJ (both were very successful too), which obviously kept them from falling off. I don’t believe that Bowie had a winter season. I know Leander sure didn’t. These directors meant well by suspending the season last year for Covid, but the impact on some of these groups may take years to overcome. But it can be done and I’m still gonna be here watching, no matter what. ? I just wish we could get these kids started in guard EARLY!!

8 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I was noticing exactly the same thing. It’s a shame we don’t have the guard culture here overall like they have in parts of Indiana, California and Florida. CTJ and The Woodlands definitely seem unaffected though. TWHS did do a WGI winter guard season this year though and so did CTJ (both were very successful too), which obviously kept them from falling off. I don’t believe that Bowie had a winter season. I know Leander sure didn’t. These directors meant well by suspending the season last year for Covid, but the impact on some of these groups may take years to overcome. But it can be done and I’m still gonna be here watching, no matter what. ? I just wish we could get these kids started in guard EARLY!!

It wasn't just TWHS, but also the feeder school, McCullough, that had a great season too.

3 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Most guard programs tend to be significantly less stable than the band programs they’re attached to, primarily because most guard instructors are not employed full time and tend to shift around from program to program. Even for elite groups this is often the case. Recruiting/rebuilding for a guard program takes much longer than a band program.

This is going to be a great event. I'm looking forward to going and not being attached to a band. I am going to try hard to be objective when viewing the bands. I can't wait to see Vista Ridge and Leander because I love them. I can't wait to see how Round Rock would have improved from Festival of Bands. I'm looking forward to Bowie and CTJ of course. I'm also looking forward to Vandergrift because they simply are the classiest band out there.  And of course, I'm looking forward to Westwood with all of their props out there.

Being able to go and spend all day there is gonna be great!

39 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

This is going to be a great event. I'm looking forward to going and not being attached to a band. I am going to try hard to be objective when viewing the bands. I can't wait to see Vista Ridge and Leander because I love them. I can't wait to see how Round Rock would have improved from Festival of Bands. I'm looking forward to Bowie and CTJ of course. I'm also looking forward to Vandergrift because they simply are the classiest band out there.  And of course, I'm looking forward to Westwood with all of their props out there.

Being able to go and spend all day there is gonna be great!

I went over and watched Round Rock practice last night. They've added much more content to their show than what they had at Festival of Bands and the clinician Jeremy Spicer also was there too.

22 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

I really hope things pick back up around here.  It seems like there would typically be a lot more discussion about the contest the day before it happens.

I have a feeling it will after the showdown this weekend. We're normally in the dark as it is at this point in the season, but I think this year there's an even bigger gap of information, fewer video leaks etc.