2021 BOA Austin (Sept. 25)

Darn it! Where are my updated Austin-area YouTube vids? The Austin groups are usually so reliable with them.

I'm just assuming I won't see CTJ until the contest. I'm leaning toward a CTJ win based on the demand and performance-level of their 2020 show, but Vandegrift was very impressive in that first football game video. They definitely reminded me why they're the reigning national champion! Melted my face off, in a good way.

Leander, I wanted to wait for somebody else to bring it up, but you can tell it's a bit of a rebuilding year for them. Guard isn't quite as... together? ... as they usually are, and some of the music isn't as clean. But there are definitely parts of the show that remind me of classic Leander, like when the saxophone is playing and the side 2 woodwinds (I think it was) do that labored-looking marching. The drill and music there, and during the trumpet ensemble, I mean that's classic Leander. So the content doesn't seem to have changed, it's more the execution. But you know what? They've got a whole freakin' two months to clean it, so there's that.

Vista Ridge, kind of the same boat as Leander for me, but maybe with a more engaging design. The energy, the difficulty, the magic is there. It's just going to take a lot of effort to get it clean. What will it look and sound like on September 25th? Probably a lot better than when I last saw it, but I think they might be peaking late this year.

I agree about the Cedar Park visual/music reversal. If I'm recalling correctly, in the first few moments I was "overall impressed," but I think the music started to get away from them a bit. At the same time, the visual did look better than usual, and I think the guard probably helped with that.

Such a competitive contest, and during a pandemic!

Edit: meant to say labored, not belabored. Nobody is screaming at them.

Got to see Cedar Ridge's production, while they're definitely marching one of the smallest bands they've had, the ensemble sound and volume is excellent, and the show design feels a lot more similar to Cedar Ridge of the past vs their 2019 program which felt a little uncharacteristic to me. I definitely think they're going to maintain a 6-8 placement at this contest, but then again I'm not a prophet and I could be dead wrong. 

(edit: also I I think Cedar Park is sounding really really good from that YouTube video) 

@Rubiscoit definitely seems to be a rebuilding year for Leander. I’m not sure what the reason is when so many other bands aren’t having this issue but it is what it is I guess. The guard definitely took a huge hit. I sure hope to see things get back to “Leander normal” in the next few years!!!  It makes me sad to see them slipping. ?

6 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

@Rubiscoit definitely seems to be a rebuilding year for Leander. I’m not sure what the reason is when so many other bands aren’t having this issue but it is what it is I guess. The guard definitely took a huge hit. I sure hope to see things get back to “Leander normal” in the next few years!!!  It makes me sad to see them slipping. ?

Take heart, this is happening to A LOT of groups this year. And it's really not that bad at all. I've always been more of a glass half-empty person. Leander is still up there. They've got a great staff and great students and great boosters. They're gonna make it work.

Finally got my hands on a CTJ vid and it’s their’s in Austin. It just is. I’m not sure I like the show as much as their 2017 show that also wrecked shop all season, but it might be cleaner now than that one ever got while already being thematically interesting and engaging. One spot in the show somewhat early on loses me, but it’s some of their best design in the last few years, without a doubt. 

12 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Round Rock has not been progressing as I thought they would earlier in the season. Expect to see them at the bottom of finals or even 13th. Also Cedar ridge has a real shot at fourth or even third place.

that would surprise me to see them in 3rd or 4th - I love the Rock Band and CR, but I think that the top 4 are a lock - in no order CTJ, Vandy, Vista Ridge and Leander

28 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

When I first saw CTJ's show announcement, the first thing that came to my mind was Avon's Iconoclash and I see there are some similarities. Really liked what I saw and impressed with how good they look/sound this early in the season. My brother said that we need to send spies to their rehearsals.

Yep! Thought of Iconoclash as well. Not a bad thing, as that's one of Avon's very best shows!

Unfortunately, it's not really my place to be sharing other bands' videos without permission. I just comment on the ones I receive in fairly vague, general ways, as not to spoil things too much.

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

yes it was. Cedar Ridge is miles farther than round rock. Round Rock honestly sounded worse than at their parent preview in august

I’m not quite ready to throw the Dragon Band onto the scrap heap just yet. Maybe they’re just off to a slow start like so many others. 

I definitely can’t wait to see Cedar Ridge’s show. And those new uniforms!!! ? ? ?

But the RRISD show I’m most excited about seeing this year is Westwood!! That thing is great and will be fantastic by San Antonio.

I head back to Austin a week from tomorrow for a long weekend. I. Can’t. Wait. 

Festival of Bands was last night. I'm no longer a band mom and just a band spectator.  If I were to rank the Round Rock ISD bands it would go down like this:

1. Cedar Ridge
  2. Westwood
  3. Round Rock
  4. McNeil
  5. Stony Point

Cedar Ridge's show is fun and clean. Their guard is stunning and I caught myself clapping and getting into it from the get go.  Their music is spot on and just so relatable. The drill design is perfect. They are a finals lock for sure, and I see great things for them this year.

Westwood is a cute fun show. They have their opener nailed. They "sounded," the best out of the bands that were out there. They need to have their percussion follow their drum major. 

Round Rock just sounded and looked uninspired. The drill was dirty. Their sound was off for as many kids as they had out there. The show was boring. It was really surprising. 

McNeil has so much potential. And Stony Point just needs help so that they can kick butt like the rest of the RRISD bands. THIS ISN'T ON THE KIDS...I SWEAR!

12 hours ago, shaggy said:

yes it was. Cedar Ridge is miles farther than round rock. Round Rock honestly sounded worse than at their parent preview in august

I was able to view video of Round Rock's performance and from the perspective of an untrained eye and ear, I can see why you would say what you did. This show was flat. Very flat. But it is early season and I see a lot of potential in this show. So many elements are apparently missing from this show and it was obviously not ready for competition, which this event was not. I wouldn't expect BOA Austin to be much different, either. For them, it is still very early with much to do, learn, and add. Again, I can see potential and the parts of this show that we have seen so far can really be impressive if they reach that potential. It's up to them to do the work. For the Round Rock students out there - you have a lot of work to do, but it is definitely doable. Work like it matters!