2021 BOA Austin (Sept. 25)

On 8/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, LeanderMomma said:

I don’t see the harm in speculation within reason. I know Round Rock had a real frustrating season in 2019 due to some things beyond their control (like actually getting parts of the drill), so I’m hopeful it will be smooth sailing for the Dragon Band this fall and that they’ll be back in finals at BOA Austin. 

trust me not just 2019. Probably the main reason they have fell off a bit since they made State finals in 2016 is getting drill late. In 2017 they didnt get the last part of their show until a little more than a week before BOA San Antonio, in 2018 they fired their show designer and kind of had an off year with a make shift design team, and in 2019 we all saw what happened at BOA Austin.

Stony Point 8:00
Del Rio 8:15
Lake Travis 8:30
East View 8:45
Burnet 9:00

BREAK 

Cedar Ridge 9:45
Westlake 10:00
Midlothian Heritage 10:15
Hendrickson 10:30
The Ann Richards School 10:45
Leander 11:00
Pflugerville 11:15

BREAK

Princeton 12:15
Weiss 12:30
Vista Ridge 12:45
Anderson 1:00
Rouse 1:15
Bastrop 1:30
New Braunfels 1:45 (dropped out)
Cedar Park 2:00

BREAK

Round Rock 2:45
Veterans Memorial HS 3:00
Westwood 3:15
Claudia Taylor Johnson 3:30
Burleson Centennial 3:45
James Bowie 4:00
Vandegrift 4:15

While I should know better than predicting against a LeanderMomma vote of confidence in Vista after the famous 2018 State pick, Vista has historically been a late bloomer, and in a year in which they're trying to peak even a week later than typical, I could once again see them in 4th of the big 4 (and still have zero doubt they'll get to the high aspirations they set for themselves by the time Indy rolls around)

Of course all predictions for this are even more history-based than usual, since bands have been even more close to the chest of their plans than the 2000's when videos were super hard to come by. So historically speaking, I lean Vandy here, as I think their early season cleanliness will once again be hard to beat, especially in a year where I expect many bands to be a bit rocky coming out of the gate after 2020's semi-season. But of course CTJ could come out hot after benefiting from being the one group in the area that marched a competitive show last year. And then there's Leander, who I have honestly uncharacteristically heard little to nothing about this preseason...what do they have brewing?

I'm glad they expanded finals to 12, as this contest especially really needed it. I think adding a band to the top half split adds some intrigue and there have always been more than 10 finalist-worthy bands at this regional. 

1 hour ago, LHSax said:

And then there's Leander, who I have honestly uncharacteristically heard little to nothing about this preseason...what do they have brewing?

I honestly don’t have any expectations or impressions at all other than the theme is so very “Leander” and they sound pretty good for how early it is in the season. I’m definitely noticing a reduction in size (smaller guard and maybe only 7 tubas), but Leander is after all a 5A school at the end of the day.  I’ll be anxious to see them blossom throughout the season!

While on the subject, I have another impression-slash-prediction for ya. Cedar Park is back. 

6 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m strongly leaning towards Vista taking this one and CTJ in second. 

I am rooting for all the #teamtexas schools this year - hoping for a strong showing at Grand Nationals. I would love to see all 3 of the San Antonio SR Medals to go to members of #teamtexas. TWHS took gold in 2013 at BOA-SA and took gold in Indy - Vandy took silver in 2019 and then won gold in Indy. as for CTJ - I love the show that they are putting together - amazing concept and while I know the concept of the show I am looking forward to their Friends and Family show this week and have no doubts that I will be amazed. the concept and music should have them in the medal hunts all season for both UIL and BOA.  just a few more weeks and we get to see the real shows at Kelly Reeves.

34 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

I am rooting for all the #teamtexas schools this year - hoping for a strong showing at Grand Nationals. I would love to see all 3 of the San Antonio SR Medals to go to members of #teamtexas. TWHS took gold in 2013 at BOA-SA and took gold in Indy - Vandy took silver in 2019 and then won gold in Indy. as for CTJ - I love the show that they are putting together - amazing concept and while I know the concept of the show I am looking forward to their Friends and Family show this week and have no doubts that I will be amazed. the concept and music should have them in the medal hunts all season for both UIL and BOA.  just a few more weeks and we get to see the real shows at Kelly Reeves.

I simply cannot wait until BOA Austin!  I’m convinced that it’s going to set the tone for the rest of the season as far as what CTJ and VR are going to accomplish. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

You coming down that weekend?

Oh yes. Leander’s homecoming is the night before and the LISD Festival of Bands is the Monday after. I’m planning a long weekend in Austin for sure! Football, band, band, and band. All my favorite things!  ?

15 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I honestly don’t have any expectations or impressions at all other than the theme is so very “Leander” and they sound pretty good for how early it is in the season. I’m definitely noticing a reduction in size (smaller guard and maybe only 7 tubas), but Leander is after all a 5A school at the end of the day.  I’ll be anxious to see them blossom throughout the season!

While on the subject, I have another impression-slash-prediction for ya. Cedar Park is back. 

Looking forward to the Leander / Vista Ridge game this Thursday!    It's at Bible Stadium and I think I will sit on the Leander Side (home side) to watch the 1/2 time shows for this one ?.   Leander Football looks like they have a chance at a 2 in a row for the first time in years, Vista Football did not look so good in the opener and Leander won it's opener.

6 hours ago, gregorydf01 said:

Looking forward to the Leander / Vista Ridge game this Thursday!    It's at Bible Stadium and I think I will sit on the Leander Side (home side) to watch the 1/2 time shows for this one ?.   Leander Football looks like they have a chance at a 2 in a row for the first time in years, Vista Football did not look so good in the opener and Leander won it's opener.

You can give me your honest impression of the band. I think Leander is about half the size they were. Not doing anything last fall really hurt their numbers. ?

BOA Website has the schedule posted now!

7:00 a.m. – Box Office Opens
7:30 a.m. – Stadium Gates Open

7:45 a.m. – TBA
8:00 a.m. – Stony Point H.S., TX
8:15 a.m. – Del Rio H.S., TX
8:30 a.m. – Lake Travis H.S., TX
8:45 a.m. – East View H.S., TX
9:00 a.m. – Burnet H.S., TX

9:15 a.m. – Break

9:45 a.m. – Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 a.m. – Westlake H.S., TX
10:15 a.m. – Midlothian Heritage H.S., TX
10:30 a.m. – Robert E. Hendrickson H.S., TX
10:45 a.m. – The Ann Richards School, TX
11:00 a.m. – Leander H.S., TX
11:15 a.m. – Pflugerville H.S., TX

11:30 a.m. – Break

12:15 p.m. – Princeton H.S., TX
12:30 p.m. – Weiss H.S., TX
12:45 p.m. – Vista Ridge H.S., TX
1:00 p.m. – Anderson H.S., TX
1:15 p.m. – Rouse H.S., TX
1:30 p.m. – Bastrop H.S., TX
1:45 p.m. – New Braunfels H.S., TX
2:00 p.m. – Cedar Park H.S., TX

2:15 p.m. – Break

2:45 p.m. – Round Rock H.S., TX
3:00 p.m. – Veterans Memorial H.S., TX
3:15 p.m. – Westwood H.S., TX
3:30 p.m. – Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
3:45 p.m. – Burleson Centennial H.S., TX
4:00 p.m. – James Bowie H.S., TX
4:15 p.m. – Vandegrift H.S., TX

4:30 p.m. – Preliminary Competition Ends
4:45 p.m. – Presentation of Awards
5:15 p.m. – Stadium Cleared

6:30 p.m. – Gates Open

7:00 p.m. – National Anthem
7:15 p.m. – Class Exhibition (If Needed)
7:30 p.m. – First Performing Finalist Band
10:30 p.m. – Finals Competition Ends
Class Exhibition (If Needed)
10:45 p.m. – Finale – Presentation of Awards

On 8/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, LeanderMomma said:

I'm curious to see how Cedar Park does this year with the director change.  UIL 5A area H is so crazy competitive, how many area H bands will make it to state? 

1 hour ago, propsquaddad said:

I'm curious to see how Cedar Park does this year with the director change.  UIL 5A area H is so crazy competitive, how many area H bands will make it to state? 

There are a total of 26 5A bands in Area H, so there could be a max of 5 bands advancing.  Looking at past results, it could be assumed that there would be 21-22 bands at Area with 4 bands advancing to State.

So very excited for this contest! Between getting my beginners ready for the start of the year and getting sectionals started for our performing bands I nearly forgot how quickly this contest was coming up ?

Of course incredibly interested in seeing how everyone will return from last year, but mostly just excited to see everyone return period! 

I'm sure the students are having a blast getting to do this again.

I just watched a video of round rock from yesterday. I am really impressed, I dont think they have sounded this good this early maybe since 2015 when they would've won BOA Austin without a penalty. I don't think they can beat anyone in the top 4 but really 5th or 6th seems like there spot to lose. I was especially impressed when I rewatched videos from this time in 2019 and the improvement is dramatic. The band already sounds very balanced and the only thing that I could see being a problem is the drill. There is about 3 minutes of show on the field rn but It seems like the drill they have added since mid august is already relatively clean and the music sounds as good as the beginning.