2021 BOA McAllen (Sept. 18)

This season opening contest will be held at Veterans Memorial Stadium in McAllen.

as of 8/31/21–21 bands confirmed:

PRELIMS PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
9:45 Gladys Porter Early College H.S., TX
10:00 Harlingen, TX
10:15 Rio Grande City, TX
10:30 Robert Vela, TX
10:45 Pioneer, TX
Break
11:45 McAllen Nikki Rowe, TX
12:00 Georgetown, TX
12:15 Weiss, TX
12:30 Grapevine, TX
12:45 Santa Rosa, TX
1:00 Valley View, TX
1:15 United, TX
1:30 Harlingen South, TX
Break
2:15 McAllen Memorial, TX
2:30 Del Rio, TX
2:45 Louis D. Brandeis, TX
3:00 Roma, TX
3:15 Hidalgo Early College, TX
3:30 McAllen, TX
3:45 Economedes, TX
4:00 John B. Alexander, TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
Dropped: Sharyland

Brandeis is the first addition we’ve had here since April 27th. Definitely need to see more bands going to this contest!

Will we see Del Rio, Economedes, Edinburg, Edinburg North, Gladys Porter, Hidalgo, James Pace, Juarez-Lincoln, Klein Collins, McAllen, McAllen Memorial, Mission, Nikki Rowe, Pioneer, Rio Grande City, Roma, San Benito, Sharyland or Valley View here?  ??‍♀️  They’re all just rumors for now. 

4 hours ago, FEDude said:

If that's the list, there's a very real chance Brandeis could win this! What was the last time an NISD band won a BOA competition? Never I think. I'll be rooting for the orange team this time.

I am a fan of Brandeis and could see a medal for them - I think the early favorite to win would be John B Alexander for this one. 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:31 AM, LeanderMomma said:

Just added another San Antonio NISD band to the mix!  William J. Brennan HS will be making their BOA debut at McAllen this fall. They also have plans to attend the Midland regional. Best wishes to the Brennan HS Band!

I really really love the NISD bands. Lots more strong programs in that district than people realize.

27 minutes ago, BMBDad said:

So glad to see Brennan progressing to BOA competitions!  For anyone interested...a few videos from my daughter's last few years.  

2019: 7 December 1941

https://youtu.be/-iXaNXz3waY

2018: 1001 Nights

https://youtu.be/BjrvrtjFWtU

They sound awesome!  I’m so excited for them to be at BOA this fall!

1 hour ago, BMBDad said:

So glad to see Brennan progressing to BOA competitions!  For anyone interested...a few videos from my daughter's last few years.  

2019: 7 December 1941

https://youtu.be/-iXaNXz3waY

2018: 1001 Nights

https://youtu.be/BjrvrtjFWtU

nice - can't wait to see them join the BOA ranks representing NISD and San Antonio

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 3:04 PM, LeanderMomma said:

This season opening contest will be held at Veterans Memorial Stadium in McAllen.

as of 6/26/21–8 bands confirmed:

Georgetown H.S., TX
Grapevine H.S., TX
John B. Alexander H.S., TX
Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX
Robert Vela H.S., TX
United H.S., TX
Weiss H.S., TX
William J. Brennan H.S., TX

The “official” list of bands for this contest is coming VERY soon. I’m so anxious to hear who all will be there besides these 8 bands!

I heard something about Klein Collins HS potentially attending. This would be HUGE for that band, as they are one of the more "slept on" rising bands in TX. VERY good sound and fantastic percussion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am honestly so excited to see the way McAllen plays out. JBA has always seemed to surprise many people and it really is amazing how well they can send messages to the audience. Many bands are going to come back stronger this year in my opinion based off the time COVID took away from us. JBA is definitely a powerhouse in South Texas and I am SOOO excited to see how well they perform this year. 

All I’m saying is, JBA is pretty powerful. Not only Music wise, but the fact that they do something so different from many other bands and that is sending messages to the massive audiences in the stands that so many have either had a connection with or have opened their eyes to. It’s amazing. I am beyond excited to see what they bring with this production this year. Not to mention the new traditional uniforms that are coming with them! 

25 minutes ago, SoundOff said:

All I’m saying is, JBA is pretty powerful. Not only Music wise, but the fact that they do something so different from many other bands and that is sending messages to the massive audiences in the stands that so many have either had a connection with or have opened their eyes to. It’s amazing. I am beyond excited to see what they bring with this production this year. Not to mention the new traditional uniforms that are coming with them! 

I agree with you. They have quickly become one of my favorites. I'm keeping my eyes out for them.

6 hours ago, SoundOff said:

I saw the uniforms!  They are FANTASTIC!!!

Just now, LeanderMomma said:

I’m so anxious to see their show. 

You know, so am I. The fact that they’ve been playing so much variety of music literature from orchestral to video game to pop songs, it’s amazing. It really brings the show together and packs a lot of energy. The creative development that carries on throughout their shows is insane. You can’t tell me that Katy Perry will not sound awesome on that field. So excited!!! 

Here’s the schedule for this upcoming first Texas BOA Regional!

9:45 Gladys Porter Early College H.S., TX
10:00 Harlingen, TX
10:15 Rio Grande City, TX
10:30 Robert Vela, TX
10:45 Pioneer, TX
Break
11:45 McAllen Nikki Rowe, TX
12:00 Georgetown, TX
12:15 Weiss, TX
12:30 Grapevine, TX
12:45 Santa Rosa, TX
1:00 Valley View, TX