2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

I’ve always had a very positive opinion on Hebron this year all around, and it’s just ‘cause they deserve all the credit in the world through the incredible effort they show on the field, playing ridiculously difficult music on the move, having made the demand even more difficult on the students through the quickened pace the show has developed throughout the season, and the students continually step up to that challenge, every section has their moment to shine and they all take it, my favorites have got to be the low brass(trombones were just so unreal and excellent) and the saxophone ensemble in the ballad. The full woodwind and brass ensemble moments go without saying, such an amazing performance!

Cypress Woods was really great! It’s hard to figure out where they fit in the rankings, since it’s easy to directly compare them to Hebron. I would like a bit more energy in the music performance, I was expecting a band this big to be a bit louder. Its a very very good show, even if it feels like the theming and music has been done before. If they don’t make finals tonight, it is certainly in their near future!!

8 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I’ve always had a very positive opinion on Hebron this year all around, and it’s just ‘cause they deserve all the credit in the world through the incredible effort they show on the field, playing ridiculously difficult music on the move

And the demand aspect is definitely something to keep in mind regarding Hebron's visual performance (and any band's performance overall). Performance captions no longer go to the bands that are simply the cleanest playing or marching groups; bands also need to challenge themselves, which I think Hebron did in that performance. This is also why the performance captions have become more difficult to predict!

Really great stuff from Pearland- they do all the things well and this is a great music book - I love me some Scythian Suite! Works really well for the marionettes turning on the makers. Guard is selling the heck out of all of this, too. Oh, I so hope we see them again tonight! 

A very classic Marcus type show IMO. Very rich sounds that blend so well paired with drill that, while admittedly isn't the hardest, is incredibly clean. The ballad with the two mellophone soloists is fantastic and one of the highlights of the season. Fantastic performance and one that really epitomizes what Marcus is.

Really strong performance from Klein Oak there! They move well and play with strong sounds. Lux Aurumque is one of my favorite pieces by Whitacre and I think they did a really good job recreating it in the ballad. I think they'll fall just short of finals with the level of competition here, but I can see them doing really well at state.

4 hours ago, FaultLineBlues said:

One thing that I definitely didn't miss about band is sitting near kids that spend an entire show making fun of a band out of some kind of insecurity, and then top it off by refusing to clap.

Yep, just witnessed two guys talking smack about a band. All these kids have put in hard work all season. It’s disheartening.