2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

LEANDER THAT WAS SO GOOD!!! At the beginning of the season, I was verrrry skeptical about their chances on making finals here, but the show has just transformed in the best way. There is SO MUCH character through the show, and every performer is clearly putting their heart into everything they do. Kudos to the guard especially for improving an astounding amount since Austin. Leander just set the bar super high. 

25 minutes ago, anon54 said:

I never said the judges were villains? When I said Vista Ridge got screwed here, I meant that their prelims draw was also bad not because of scoring, but because performing early in the morning is hard for anyone (especially when bands have football games the night before)! 

No, you said that the judges were reserving higher scores for later because they aren't accomplished enough to accurately judge a performance without setting a low score baseline for excellence. 

If this were the case why wouldn't music for all just have the top 6 go first in finals so that they wouldn't need to harshly judge early competitors to save room for higher scores? 

I don’t think it’s arguable that SA is the tougher overall competition pretty much every year, the difficulty of getting into finals is arguably more difficult and not at the same time, only really ‘cause there’s two less spots to go around. There’s around a 15-29 place battleground every year with so many bands deserving of finalist spots in nearly any other competition besides probably only grand nats for those near the bottom end of that range. It’s always a deeper contest, and for me the difficulty of making finals on the lesser number of spots alone is not the only metric for the actual difficulty of the contest.

Awesome show Vista Ridge!! The beginning where the whole band is marching facing the end zone is so difficult, I don’t know how they do it so well! The percussion feature into the brass feature was so epic, the show just flows perfectly. The soloists in the ballad created a beautifully cinematic atmosphere. There’s still even more room for the show to grow, which is good because they have a week left! 

Since 2018, I’ve been waiting for Coppell’s break-out moment, and it’s finally here this year!! They are such a well rounded program. The flute solo in the ballad is one of my favorite things from the whole season. This show is fun and flashy but still tasteful. What a treat!