2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

14 minutes ago, avgbandfan5 said:

Round Rock did not attend GN in 2018, Prosper was the only Texas band that year, not making SA finals but made Gn finals.

In 2019 Round Rock missed Austin finals but made SA finals though

Thanks for the correction.   I knew it had happened recently....still very doable for RR

On 11/6/2021 at 4:51 PM, daldhowe said:

The assumption that GN is more difficult than SASR can definitely be argued the other way.  Same thing happened to them in 2018...I think, where they didn't makes finals at SRSA,  but did at GN.  They still have a great shot at it!

I do think typically it is harder to make finals at San Antonio than Grand Nationals with the depth of bands in Texas, however the level of competition at Grand Nationals is exceptionally high this year. With seven top Texas bands attending, combined with powerhouses like Broken Arrow and Blue Springs returning to Grand Nationals and the usual Midwestern stalwarts, Grand Nationals this year will be incredibly tough to make finals. Round Rock certainly has their work cut out for them, but they always are able to pull it out.

2 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

Anybody have a panel breakdown?

The Woodlands H.S., TX - Panel 1

Vandegrift H.S., TX - Panel 2

Vista Ridge H.S., TX - Panel 2

Hebron H.S., TX - Panel 1

Marcus H.S., TX - Panel 2

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX - Panel 1

Coppell H.S., TX - Panel 1

Cedar Ridge H.S., TX - Panel 1

Ronald Reagan H.S., TX - Panel 2

Leander H.S., TX - Panel 1

Rouse H.S., TX - Panel 1

Cedar Park H.S., TX - Panel 2

Keller H.S, TX - Panel 1

Pearland H.S., TX - Panel 2

Eight bands from panel 1 and six bands from panel 2

13 minutes ago, Rp0530 said:

Why are Vista Ridge’s and Hebron’s spots unfortunate?

Vista Ridge's spot is unfortunate because judges tend to give lower scores to earlier bands to give themselves room for higher scores later. Hebron's spot is unfortunate because they won prelims and it would be cool if they went closer to last. Personally, I don't think this will affect Hebron much since they were clearly above everyone else in prelims (imo). I really do think Vista Ridge got screwed here, having an early (morning for prelims) slot in both prelims and finals, but hopefully they can give an outstanding performance here.

3 minutes ago, anon54 said:

Vista Ridge's spot is unfortunate because judges tend to give lower scores to earlier bands to give themselves room for higher scores later. 

There is no proof of that.  No proof in any SR finals. This is a myth that portrays judges as villains and bands that draw early as victims. This a great way for victims to insulate themselves against hard truths. 

I'm really anxious to see the prelims recap. I'm curious how far out Round Rock and Johnson were from finals. Pearland and Coppell were nowhere near my radar (I guess I should pay attention to DFW and Houston a little more). I'd be interested to see if Rouse goes to Grand Nats in the coming years. They've been on fire!

11 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

There is no proof of that.  No proof in any SR finals. This is a myth that portrays judges as villains and bands that draw early as victims. This a great way for victims to insulate themselves against hard truths. 

I never said the judges were villains? When I said Vista Ridge got screwed here, I meant that their prelims draw was also bad not because of scoring, but because performing early in the morning is hard for anyone (especially when bands have football games the night before). Also, I’m not entirely sure of the specifics, but the top half/bottom half performance order rule exists because someone DID get screwed over once (it might have been at GN). I don’t think anyone really considers the judges villains here… it’s simply a fact that it’s more difficult to score bands that are close in score that are far apart in performance order (as opposed to when they’re back to back). Sorry if my comment came off as promoting a victim culture or portraying the judges badly! All of the bands in finals are wonderful and deserve to be where they are, in the Alamodome! 

13 minutes ago, AlphaOmega said:

I'm really anxious to see the prelims recap. I'm curious how far out Round Rock and Johnson were from finals. Pearland and Coppell were nowhere near my radar (I guess I should pay attention to DFW and Houston a little more). I'd be interested to see if Rouse goes to Grand Nats in the coming years. They've been on fire!

Really surprised that both bands weren't on your radar. Pearland was an SA finalist in 2019 and Coppell earned the bronze medal at St. Louis this year. I'm guessing Round Rock was around 15-17 and Johnson maybe around 20-23.

3 hours ago, A Testing Trumpet said:

13/14 of the finalists guessed correctly, 6/7 of the top half correct too.
I guess I still know a thing or two 😛

That being said, I am worried for Round Rock. Grand Nationals will be harder to make Finals at than here, and I expected them to make it here. RR typically peaks right at 'Nats but unlike other recent years they have less than a week to work on it, and are doing State. I won't say it's impossible but they certainly have work ahead of them if they are to make GN Finals this year. The recaps that come out at midnight should be an indicator as to how much they should worry. 

Visuals are their issue this year. Likely will be at the GN'S as well.