2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

1 minute ago, BandMom75 said:

What is a full retreat?

A full retreat is when all finalist band members go to the field for the finals awards. In prelims only the drum majors receive the awards and line the fields, but in finals all members of every finalist band is present on the field. After the results and awards are announced bands "break ranks" and converse with each other to celebrate the finals competition.

22 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

A full retreat is when all finalist band members go to the field for the finals awards. In prelims only the drum majors receive the awards and line the fields, but in finals all members of every finalist band is present on the field. After the results and awards are announced bands "break ranks" and converse with each other to celebrate the finals competition.

Thank you! This is our first competitive season as band parents. So excited for tomorrow! 

Keller was great. This show is pretty understated (for Keller) and that means there’s lots of understated difficulty…everything is so exposed! Love how the ballad builds so gradually into that awesome full band moment! They do the whole “few bells and whistles” approach well due to their great training, but I want a bit more theming visually. I hope they continue their finals streak, but anything can happen.

Nice performance from Keller. They've always had great sounds and this year is no exception. The trombone quartet in the ballad was a highlight for me. I have to admit that I was expecting a bit more though, as I find myself thinking the show is a little lacking, especially visually. Definitely not a lock for finals, going to be in that tough bubble range for me.

The amount of visual demand from CTJ is just insane. There is SO MUCH going on in this show both musically and visually. They are attempting to pull of so much, that it sometimes feels like I’m still waiting for it all to flow together; for the show to fully click. Don’t get me wrong, this is still a fantastic and entertaining production. That brass feature the starts the closer is just perfectly written and performed. I actually like how they’ve incorporated the vocalist through the show. What a show!!! Idk if it was as clean or easy to follow as Vandegrift, but it’s up there for sure!

Fun fact: Keller and CTJ both have the same arranger! 

Good lord, Claudia Taylor Johnson is not playing around. They've made so many changes since BOA Austin, but I think most all of them have been for the better. I appreciate better use of the vocalist so that she no longer seems to be an afterthought, and I thought the band sounded FANTASTIC. Easily the loudest band of the day and although it wasn't the cleanest run, I think they did enough there to top Vandegrift for me. I absolutely adore this production and I really hope it gets the love it deserves from the judges here and in Indianapolis.

What an amazing day of Marching Band! I am so honored to have been here live and in person to watch day 1! These are my top 10 of day 1. Where they all fit into panels I have no clue, but what I have seen so far. 

Claudia Taylor Johnson
Vandegrift
The Woodlands
Cedar Park
Cedar Ridge
Rouse
Leander
James Bowie 
Round Rock
Keller

I managed to hop onto the high cam starting just before Vandegrift. Couldn't miss that one! What an emotional, glorious, effective, and clean performance from that group. This is the reigning National Champion, folks! I would say Vandy was a pretty obvious 1st place, at least maybe up until The Woodlands. The Woodlands' show, well, in the words of Liza with a Z: "Shenshational!" I think they might have traded a little bit of musical cleanliness for energy, but I don't mind. The energy was very unexpected. Dazzling!

With the two separate judging panels, the prelims results could be interesting. Hopefully we get at least a little bit of clarity tomorrow afternoon. It was an amazing set of performances today, and we've still got some really great bands to come!

So far The Woodlands and Vandy are so far my favorites to place #1 and #2. Reasons: clean drills executed to perfection. Why i am not considering CTJ as the absolute winner? IMO, and respectfully The show at some point is too busy, too much happening, their uniforms added to the busyness on the field. Even though Everyone loves their show, I think it is a lot to grasp at the same time. I feel overwhelmed watching it. I cant follow the story as I can do it with other bands. Too much sometimes is not everything. To me the woodlands is the winner for energy, concept, formations, their Guard is insanely perfect. There is one point towards the end of the show where the music is so fast that I don’t know how the guard keeps up but they do it. some of the finalist for me are: my mind doesn’t remember well all the names. First 2 in order of rank, the rest just finalists in random order:

- The Woodlands

- Vandy

- CTJ

- Rousse

- Leander

- Round Rock

- Vista Ridge

- Reagan

- Westlake

- Johnson 

I don’t remember more names 🙃😁🎯

5 minutes ago, vistaridgefan42069 said:

with the kind of drill ctj does they would probably kill the children if they did any more stuff in that show

this is texas we dont know what marching and playing means :) 

cant wait to see vista today lets go vista gang 💪💪💪💪

I'm also excited cause I know they'll blow past everyone's expectations. I'm expecting a top 5 finish from them

Vista Ridge was awesome. I’m so impressed with their individual visual performance. Extremely talented soloists. Such a well designed show that stands out from the other Texas groups. I wish the ballad had a bigger impact. I really like how they don’t try to play everything as loud as possible.