2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

With Coppell and Keller both being in panel 1, the locks from that panel for me are Claudia Taylor Johnson, the Woodlands, and Hebron. Cedar Ridge and Leander are the bands Coppell and Keller have the best chance at overtaking to advance based on panel, but both are very strong and have grown substantially throughout the season. I have a feeling we'll be seeing all four bands in finals though.

3 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

With Coppell and Keller both being in panel 1, the locks from that panel for me are Claudia Taylor Johnson, the Woodlands, and Hebron. Cedar Ridge and Leander are the bands Coppell and Keller have the best chance at overtaking to advance based on panel, but both are very strong and have grown substantially throughout the season. I have a feeling we'll be seeing all four bands in finals though.

Nervous for TWHS with that slot right after CTJ

55 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

CTJ is a tough band for anyone to perform after, but the Woodlands are an incredible program with a strong show this year that will be just fine. I'm excited for that last block on Friday, it's going to be fantastic.

Performing in near comparable competition back-to-back or perhaps having a really strong block of bands all performing one after another I feel is a boon for those that get the chance to. There’s more of an opportunity for judges to have a more easily comparable standard of performance in those cases and it’ll lead to those groups being adjudicated more properly I feel like anyways. I think it helps both groups out.

My personal predictions
(based on their past history and how they've been doing this season)

Locks:
CTJ
Reagan
Vandegrift
Vista Ridge
Cedar Park
Leander
Rouse (they're impressively climbing up!)
Marcus
Hebron

Bubbles:
Bowie
Cedar Ridge
Woodlands
Round Rock
Keller
Westlake

BOA San Antonio has always been a bloodbath, especially in the last five or six years. Good luck to all the bands competing. Just remember to have fun. I feel like it's getting harder and harder to do that. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, packwick said:

but maybe write about more than just the same 5 bands over and over? i'll drop that into the suggestion box.

Ha! I do have some things to say about Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, Marcus, Leander, and Cypress Woods. But writing an essay takes effort! Vista Ridge, the show is coming along nicely. They're producing some pretty superb sounds this year. I think they have a real shot at crashing the top 5, or maybe even top 3 party here, but I'm having trouble taking my eyes off of some of the visual weaknesses, particularly with the guard. (That's actually where Vandegrift benefits, because they don't have to worry as much about flags going up and down at different times!) Cedar Park seems like a mini-Reagan to me, which I actually love. It seems like they're stepping out of their old style into something fresher, at least musically. The mash-up of the Gotye (I think it was) with the other pieces is very interesting, although I'm not sure it works all the time. Like Reagan, we're getting a visual program that does a good job generating interest through pretty much drill alone. Marcus, I just can't get over how awesome they sound during their ballad. Amazing french horn players. Such warmth and clarity to their sound. The design isn't the most compelling in the world, but they're executing at a high level. Leander, I just love the road-trip set design. The Buc-ees parody billboard cracks me up. Really, this isn't that different from a typical Leander show from a design perspective; it's just the execution that isn't at the highest level for them, but their performance has improved significantly since early season, and I expect them to be in finals decently comfortably here. Cypress Woods, I absolutely love the clarity I'm getting from the visual program, despite a somewhat weak guard. I just wish they would project their sound more to the back of the press box. The music is bit too polite for my tastes right now. I want more energy, maybe more uplift to the articulations as well.

3 hours ago, bandfan101 said:

Nervous for TWHS with that slot right after CTJ

I wouldn't be thaaat nervous. They're hanging around the same top group this year. Like others have touched on, you can only really control your own performance, and both of those bands will give great ones.

That said, let's not completely sugarcoat it, direct comparisons don't allow much forgetting on the part of the judges, which can sometimes be useful. CTJ's and TWHS' shows this year are a bit of a study in contrasts with regard to drill demand, something many of us have touched on -- a fight which may not come down in TWHS' favor. On the flip side, CTJ has literally every group beat on drill demand (and sheer energy) this year. Also, I just watched TWHS' area performance video, and I'm struck by how remarkably clean their show is, both musically and visually, compared to the other area videos I've seen, at least until the very end with the dirty files. Not a big fan of the changes made to the ballad, though -- the momentum is interrupted. The ballad was already awesome as it was. Why change it? I think that was rehearsal time that would have been better spent on making the closer more effective. Great show overall though.

2 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:
My personal predictions
(based on their past history and how they've been doing this season)

Locks:
CTJ
Reagan
Vandegrift
Vista Ridge
Cedar Park
Leander
Rouse (they're impressively climbing up!)
Marcus
Hebron

Bubbles:
Bowie
Cedar Ridge
Woodlands
Round Rock
Keller
Westlake

BOA San Antonio has always been a bloodbath, especially in the last five or six years. Good luck to all the bands competing. Just remember to have fun. I feel like it's getting harder and harder to do that. 

If Rouse and Leander are being considered as locks, I'd definitely put Woodlands and Cedar Ridge up there. 

Copy and pasted from my post on HornRank for those that don't frequent both forums.

It's crazy that we are only 2 days away (technically less than that!) from this contest. Here are my current thoughts for finalists.

1. Vandegrift 
2. Vista Ridge
3. Hebron
4. The Woodlands
5. CTJ
6. Reagan
7. Cedar Park
8. Marcus
9. Cedar Ridge
10. Rouse
11. Leander
12. Keller
13. Coppel
14. James Bowie 

In my mind only that 14th spot is truly up for grabs. Everyone else I see as pretty solidly in finals. Other bands that could easily grab that last finals spot are Round Rock, Prosper, Cypress Woods, Westlake, Pearland, Seven Lakes, and Westwood.

8 minutes ago, lost said:

I wish Prosper was going to this contest, I could genuinely see them in finals. A lot like L.D. Bell 2018 that missed state but made it into SA finals.

no disrespect - but I think that is a reach - there are so many programs this year (and every year) that should make finals that will not make it - just too many talented programs and not enough spots for everyone

Just now, banddad84 said:

no disrespect - but I think that is a reach - there are also of programs this year (and every year) that should make finals that will not make it - just too many talented programs and not enough spots for everyone

I don’t really see the point of this comment. Sure a lot of groups that could make finals every year don’t. Not really a reason to go out of your way to call one specific group out.

I definitely don’t think it’s a reach that Prosper could make finals, their show is very friendly to the BOA sheets as we’ve seen in St.Louis. With some cleaning from the feedback at both area and St Louis they genuinely have a strong opportunity to clean into finals this year. If they were at SA would this be enough? Who knows. It would all be up to their prelims performance. I do think they’d genuinely have a chance similar to Bowie or Kellers to get into finals though.