2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

8 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Just watched Hebron's UIL Area finals performance. I think it's a fine show with some really great musical moments. A little slow and old-fashioned at the start, but it gets more effective as the show progresses. They smartly save their best and most entertaining movements for last. I guess my biggest gripe would be that the set pieces don't add much to the show. Since the set pieces are fountain pens, I would have expected them to write out the drill, something like that, from time to time, but I'm not seeing much functionality.

The set drill starting point that Hebron typically employs might give the vibes of an old-fashioned approach, but it definitely is a show that’ll grab the spectators attention with that Monstrous and heavy opening hit, for how much Hebron stuffs into their shows with their music programming it really flows well, I think personally quite a bit more than some other groups. The ballad is fantastic, the pace of the closer is blazing, especially with how much they’re moving throughout it, it honestly felt as if I was watching at 1.25x speed with how brisk it felt they were playing their material, it’s so impressive for me personally. I see them as a no-brainer for the music caption in SA at least. I personally don’t see how one judge in both prelims and finals of Area C had flower mound over them in that category but UIL judging is always an enigma as well😦

8 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Just watched Hebron's UIL Area finals performance. I think it's a fine show with some really great musical moments. A little slow and old-fashioned at the start, but it gets more effective as the show progresses. They smartly save their best and most entertaining movements for last. I guess my biggest gripe would be that the set pieces don't add much to the show. Since the set pieces are fountain pens, I would have expected them to write out the drill, something like that, from time to time, but I'm not seeing much functionality.

I’m glad you said that about the props in particular, Hebron’s set pieces have always left something to be desired. I almost think the show would be better off without all the pens cluttering the field, especially since the drill doesn’t seem to really care whether a student is standing right behind one or not. I’m hoping that Hebron’s new CG head/show designer can help them grow in that aspect. It is a marching band /show/ after all.

I think Hebron is much improved visually, but I still don't know if it will be strong enough to win here. There was some noticeable visual dirt at the end of their new closer, but I really liked the additions they made to it. I have them penciled in for the music caption here, but I see them finishing anywhere from 3rd to 5th here. I see them being a much bigger contender at UIL State.

I haven't been following this season as closely as others in the past, but judging how Coppell beat Blue Springs and Keller already this year, I think there is higher probability of them making finals than not. 

Rouse is a wildcard, but I'm less sure on them making it then other bands. Early season results boded very well for them with them in the top 3 at Austin (!), but that was September. Since then they most recently came 2nd to Cedar Park and even 6th at the TMC. 

Cedar Ridge is having a great year. The finish over Leander at Austin, and two points over Pearland bodes well for them.

With that being said, for finalists this year:

"Locks"

• Vandegrift
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Ronald Reagan
  • The Woodlands
  • Hebron

Mid Tier, should make finals

• Vista Ridge
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Leander
  • Marcus

Finalist Bubble, Upper

• Coppell
  • Cedar Park

Finalist Bubble

• Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes
  • James Bowie

I could go deeper into it, but I don't think it will be quite as crazy as other recent years to break into finals. (With Flower Mound, L.D. Bell, other bubble bands, and no out of state bands like Avon in 2017)

Grand Nationals this year on the other hand looks to be more close, though. 

2 minutes ago, A Testing Trumpet said:

I haven't been following this season as closely as others in the past, but judging how Coppell beat Blue Springs and Keller already this year, I think there is higher probability of them making finals than not. 

Rouse is a wildcard, but I'm less sure on them making it then other bands. Early season results boded very well for them with them in the top 3 at Austin (!), but that was September. Since then they most recently came 2nd to Cedar Park and even 6th at the TMC. 

Cedar Ridge is having a great year. The finish over Leander at Austin, and two points over Pearland bodes well for them.

"Locks"

• Vandegrift
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Ronald Reagan
  • The Woodlands
  • Hebron

• Vista Ridge
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Leander
  • Marcus

Finalist Bubble, Upper

• Coppell
  • Cedar Park

Finalist Bubble

• Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes
  • James Bowie

I could go deeper into it, but I don't think it will be quite as crazy as other recent years to break into finals. (With Flower Mound, L.D. Bell, other bubble bands, and no out of state bands like Avon in 2017)

If Cedar Park is in the upper bubble then so is Rouse and James Bowie.

Round Rock is also absolutely not on the same level as bands like Seven Lakes or even Pearland. Round Rock is not in the bubble this year I don’t think.

If you're talking about adjudication panels or UIL, I didn't really take those into account. 

But if you're talking about previous contests, Cedar Park has consistently overtaken Rouse since the Austin Regional. Most recently with the Waco regional with a caption sweep over them and a two point lead just one week before SA, and also at the TMC in early October. 

Bowie placed 9th/10th at Austin, and placed two points below Rouse at the TMC finals. At Waco they came in 3rd behind Rouse as well, with CP about three points ahead. They still have potential to make SA finals for sure, but I think both Rouse and Cedar Park have shown they have a better chance. 

It's a Grand Nationals year for Round Rock. They will want to be safely in finals here if they want to make finals at GN, and knowing how they tend to peak later in their season, I believe they have a good chance to be in finals compared to other recent years they were not. 

Honestly, Cedar Park is a near lock for me. They've consistently placed above Leander and Cedar Ridge this year. I even have them finishing in the top half around 6-7. They have a fantastic show and are back to their excellent standards after a few years out of San Antonio finals. Tough competition to get top 7 here but I think they have what it takes.

4 hours ago, A Testing Trumpet said:

Finalist Bubble

• Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes
  • James Bowie

I wouldn't count out Cypress Woods. While admittedly area competition and early season results aren't the most reliable, they've had a great season, and their victories over 7L and Pearland this year should be noted. It's a slim chance, but still a chance.

2 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I think there is zero chance Cedar Park doesn’t make finals here. Fight me. 🤪

It's certainly hard to imagine them not making it, I'll give you that. Especially when they just won a reasonably competitive BOA regional yesterday with a caption sweep. I simply err closer to the side of caution when calling any band a 100% lock for SA finals, since it all depends on what goes down on that field, at that time, in that dome. That's partially why I say "Locks" in quotations. 

18 minutes ago, contrabassclarinet said:

I wouldn't count out Cypress Woods. While admittedly area competition and early season results aren't the most reliable, they've had a great season, and their victories over 7L and Pearland this year should be noted. It's a slim chance, but still a chance.

I agree with you. There's just so many bands out there that they kinda mesh together to me now (especially in the Houston area) that I tend to forget about some in the middle to deeper bubble. But for sure, I'd love to see Cypress Woods in Finals next weekend. 

5 hours ago, A Testing Trumpet said:

"Locks"

• Vandegrift
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Ronald Reagan
  • The Woodlands
  • Hebron

• Vista Ridge
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Leander
  • Marcus

Finalist Bubble, Upper

• Coppell
  • Cedar Park

Finalist Bubble

• Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes
  • James Bowie

This looks pretty close to what I'd expect but I would change the bubble just a little bit. Gotta give more credit to rouse for hanging with the big names all season, and round rock for beating Reagan in music this weekend. Cedar Park is also probably a lock. Vista Ridge deserves to be a lock. I know it was UIL but they beat Vandegrift, I think that puts them above cedar ridge and company. 

"Locks"

• Vandegrift
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Ronald Reagan
  • The Woodlands
  • Hebron
  • Vista Ridge

• Cedar Ridge
  • Leander
  • Cedar Park

Finalist Bubble, Upper

• Coppell
  • Marcus
  • Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • James Bowie

Finalist Bubble

• Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

This looks pretty close to what I'd expect but I would change the bubble just a little bit. Gotta give more credit to rouse for hanging with the big names all season, and round rock for beating Reagan in music this weekend. Cedar Park is also probably a lock. Vista Ridge deserves to be a lock. I know it was UIL but they beat Vandegrift, I think that puts them above cedar ridge and company. 

"Locks"

• Vandegrift
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Ronald Reagan
  • The Woodlands
  • Hebron
  • Vista Ridge

• Cedar Ridge
  • Leander
  • Cedar Park

Finalist Bubble, Upper

• Coppell
  • Marcus
  • Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • James Bowie

Finalist Bubble

• Pearland
  • Keller
  • Seven Lakes

Why is marcus not a lock? 

We are finally at the crossroads 😁 I have my tickets so now I will make my predictions.  

In Random Order! as really like everyone I am a little shook right now by recent events! Also, a few notes on some groups as I am sure many will question some placements. 

1-4 
Vandegrift
Claudia Taylor Johnson
Ronald Reagan
The Woodlands

5-8 
Hebron
Vista Ridge (I have vista here because I believe their show does appeal to UIL rather than BOA. I could see them of course medaling but much work needs to done to drive up GE. They are super clean and that's why they won Area all of us here know UIL always favors clean cut over general effect. We will see if Vista can bring it home but for now I am only looking at the big picture.) 
Cedar Park - WILL MAKE FINALS!!!! 
Cedar Ridge
Marcus

9-12
Leander
Coppell
Rouse - This group has momentum on their side also could see them higher but for now will play it safe :)
Keller

13-14

Round Rock - You can never count out RR - they are the group that made me fall in love with marching band! However, there is something missing this year. Seeing them at area did impress me they are playing strong and look fine but there is a lack of energy in their show design.  Show design and musical selection are incredibly important to the success of a marching band. My old band director always said that it is the job of the directors to design a show that students can believe in and focus on making that show a stand out. I hope for the best and it would make me happy to see them in finals at Nationals! 
James Bowie
Pearland
Seven Lakes

56 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

13-14

Round Rock - You can never count out RR - they are the group that made me fall in love with marching band! However, there is something missing this year. Seeing them at area did impress me they are playing strong and look fine but their is a lack of energy in their show design.  Show design and musical selection are incredibly important to the success of a marching band. My old band director always said that it is the job of the directors to design a show that students can believe in and focus on making that show a stand out. I hope for the best and it would make me happy to see them in finals at Nationals! 
James Bowie
Pearland
Seven Lakes

I would say pearland and sl have a greater chance at making it over either Bowie or rr, and I would also say westlake is with this group considering BOA Austin/Katy and also the recent result at area (being very close to Vandegrift) 

10 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Somebody on a different thread mentioned mise-en-scène, which is a term from theatre/film criticism that refers to the arrangement of all the elements on a stage or within the frame of a movie. I found it an inspired use of the term, and I'm going to borrow it

hahaha. you're welcome, hon. i'm glad i could contribute to your essay. but maybe write about more than just the same 5 bands over and over? i'll drop that into the suggestion box.

still pretty much the only person on any marching forum that comments in an interesting, informed, or useful way.