2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

15 hours ago, slowbrass said:

Just saw Hebron’s new closer 🏎🏎🏎 

Did they add more music/drill to it? They had what looked like the entire show on the field at BOA Dallas, although just from judging the length at the time they still had room to add as much as even another minute to their show.

9 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Did they add more music/drill to it? They had what looked like the entire show on the field at BOA Dallas, although just from judging the length at the time they still had room to add as much as even another minute to their show.

Yes to both, about 20-30 seconds worth I’d say. Not a ton but it gives the show a bit more finality, especially from a music standpoint.

19 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

Yes to both, about 20-30 seconds worth I’d say. Not a ton but it gives the show a bit more finality, especially from a music standpoint.

That's great for them, I did feel the show ended a bit abruptly at Dallas. I have them as the favorites for the music caption here, but I don't know if the show is strong enough visually to contend for the gold here. UIL State however is a different story.

So many bands are so close together at previous competitions so its so hard to guess and it’ll be very interesting to see who used these final weeks the best 

I assume we’ll

1-5 Vandegrift, Ronald Reagan, Woodlands, CTJ, Hebron

6-11  Marcus, Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Leander, Rouse(Such wildcards, from medaling at Austin to being a point behind Leander at the marching classic) 

12-14 Round Rock, Keller, Pearland 

Just out Westlake, Bowie, cypress woods, seven lakes, Lake Travis, Westwood but honestly the last 3 spots could be grabbed by almost anyone out of these bands 

On 10/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, slowbrass said:

Are you positive that it isn't a temporary tag ending? Many bands try to throw together a brief ending to tie the show together but may be up to bigger things. 

15 minutes ago, Uncle Baby Billy said:

Are you positive that it isn't a temporary tag ending? Many bands try to throw together a brief ending to tie the show together but may be up to bigger things. 

Pretty sure, just saw them tonight at a football game and they had fleshed it out quite a lot. It hasn’t been Hebron’s MO to do a different ending for UIL and BOA since 2014. If anything, the tag ending is the one we saw at BOA Dallas.

16 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

Pretty sure, just saw them tonight at a football game and they had fleshed it out quite a lot. It hasn’t been Hebron’s MO to do a different ending for UIL and BOA since 2014. If anything, the tag ending is the one we saw at BOA Dallas.

The tag ending was the one at dallas! The ending you saw recently was the real ending

4 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Have to thing the Woodlands and CTJ feel a lot better going into this event now after some pretty dominant performances today with the Woodlands getting straight 1st places from every judge in prelims and CTJ winning both prelims and finals at area D.

I agree, it bodes very well for CTJ, I feel like their show is more BOA-oriented than for UIL. Haven’t seen Ronald Reagan in person, but for me it feels like their show lacks GE, at least from the videos. I’m sure that’ll change for me next week when I see them live. 

2 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

I agree, it bodes very well for CTJ, I feel like their show is more BOA-oriented than for UIL. Haven’t seen Ronald Reagan in person, but for me it feels like their show lacks GE, at least from the videos. I’m sure that’ll change for me next week when I see them live. 

CTJ has my favorite show this year out of any band this year in the country. Really pulling for them to do well here and at Grand Nationals. I really like Reagan's show as well, but I think it's just a bit too similar to Secret World and doesn't take enough risks. They perform it incredibly well though, and I still love the overall design.

14 minutes ago, cjm715 said:

And vista ridge beating vandy tonight, who we all thought was gonna be unbeatable earlier this year

I really never got that “unbeatable” vibe from Vandegrift in early-mid season, even though of course they were performing and placing very well in what they were attending. So much can change with the contest format, and especially when you have all the heavy hitters coming together in San Antonio these next few weeks, all bets are off👀

Just watched Hebron's UIL Area finals performance. I think it's a fine show with some really great musical moments. A little slow and old-fashioned at the start, but it gets more effective as the show progresses. They smartly save their best and most entertaining movements for last. I guess my biggest gripe would be that the set pieces don't add much to the show. Since the set pieces are fountain pens, I would have expected them to write out the drill, something like that, from time to time, but I'm not seeing much functionality.

9 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Have to thing the Woodlands and CTJ feel a lot better going into this event now after some pretty dominant performances today with the Woodlands getting straight 1st places from every judge in prelims and CTJ winning both prelims and finals at area D.

I'm honestly more worried for my alum cause before there were 5 contenders for first but now it feels like it's anyone's game. Still a firm believer in them and their banger of a show but there's a lot more competition