2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

1 hour ago, An Inspirational Pinecone said:

So many predictions y'all and it's funny how Vista and Cedar Park seem like a coin flip for top half and bottom half. Personally it's hard for me to say that Vista has lost it just cause of a low early competition placement. Same with Leander although I don't know their story.

In both '18 and '19 VR placed same or higher at San Antonio than they did at BOA Austin.  I think this gets overlooked.  Considering how absurdly deep San Antonio is, that speaks to serious adjustments and improvement.

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Thank you. I’m (a little more than) slightly sick of hearing the anti KP comments. Honestly, if Vista Ridge wanted to play daft punk bits between their stellar musical selections this year, it wouldn’t phase me one bit!  

I agree completely. And I also love KP.  Plus, we haven’t seen the full show from VR at any contest yet. Who knows how it all may tie together in the closer. 

38 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

In both '18 and '19 VR placed same or higher at San Antonio than they did at BOA Austin.  I think this gets overlooked.  Considering how absurdly deep San Antonio is, that speaks to serious adjustments and improvement.

That's definitely true. But there was also a gap of less than 2 points between Vista and the groups they ended up beating late season both of those years. This year, there's over 3 and a half points they'll have to close to break that presumed top 5 group. I think it's possible, but it will take a lot of work.

7 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

That's definitely true. But there was also a gap of less than 2 points between Vista and the groups they ended up beating late season both of those years. This year, there's over 3 and a half points they'll have to close to break that presumed top 5 group. I think it's possible, but it will take a lot of work.

And Vista had an admittedly bad run in Austin Finals this year.  They knew it coming off the field.  The Prelims run was better. That wasn't the case in '18 or '19.

But, certainly, it's a hill to climb.  S.A. competition is no joke.

Watch for Klein Oak as a potential dark-horse. They placed 3rd at BOA Conroe, ahead of Pearland, Seven Lakes, and Oak Ridge, and only about 0.5 behind Cypress Woods. Followed that up with a 5th place finish at last weekend’s Lone Star Preview, and might have finished higher had it not been their very first time ever to perform part 4 of their show in stadium. They’re good this year.

Have a question about reserve seating at San Antonio super regional. Are the reserve seats  still placed well for getting a good view of the bands?  Won’t be arriving until 5 or 6 from Fort Worth for finals on Saturday so feel like reserved seating will be necessary to get a good seat.  Any insight on this would be appreciated:). Thank You

Being a part of cedar park in 2016, I have to say their show this year has some testosterone. Having a new creative head, they have ditched their "whimsical" vibe and going with more power, and I think it's treating them for the better. Craziest drill I've seen, reminds me of 2015 and 2008 (which, how they didn't win state in 2008 that year is beyond me, their drill looked like the drum corps the cavaliers inspired them, and with straight leg technique too) but anyways, back to 2021. They are powerful, and in tone and tune. More so than our year in 2016 I'd say. There are for sure things to touch up on, such as tempo in the feet and some of the drill spots. But their sound, woodwind runs, and brass hits are really on another level compared to previous years, and I think they will be the highest placing LISD school at SA this year, maybe even medaling for the first time at this insane contest. Vandegrift will give them a run for their money, absolutely. And I may be biased, but this my two pennies on the topic. Hope everyone is as excited as I am to attend, either virtually or in person.

14 hours ago, Michael0599 said:

Being a part of cedar park in 2016, I have to say their show this year has some testosterone. Having a new creative head, they have ditched their "whimsical" vibe and going with more power, and I think it's treating them for the better. Craziest drill I've seen, reminds me of 2015 and 2008 (which, how they didn't win state in 2008 that year is beyond me, their drill looked like the drum corps the cavaliers inspired them, and with straight leg technique too) but anyways, back to 2021. They are powerful, and in tone and tune. More so than our year in 2016 I'd say. There are for sure things to touch up on, such as tempo in the feet and some of the drill spots. But their sound, woodwind runs, and brass hits are really on another level compared to previous years, and I think they will be the highest placing LISD school at SA this year, maybe even medaling for the first time at this insane contest. Vandegrift will give them a run for their money, absolutely. And I may be biased, but this my two pennies on the topic. Hope everyone is as excited as I am to attend, either virtually or in person.

Fun Fact: It actually would be there second time medaling at the SA super regional. They placed third in 2008 with "On Edge". LOVE that show.

6 hours ago, natertater21000 said:

Fun Fact: It actually would be there second time medaling at the SA super regional. They placed third in 2008 with "On Edge". LOVE that show.

Yesss my favorite part of that show was their drill. I to this day have not seen anything like that. It really reminds me of when the Cavaliers were at their peak, doing crazy crazy drill. How they got third at SA but 4th at state is beyond me!

21 hours ago, Michael0599 said:

I’m totally on board the CP hype train, it’s exciting to see them get back to their previous level of success after some rough years. It’s impressive to me that while many bands have taken a hit during Covid, CP seems to somehow have gotten BIGGER. I’ve been cautiously optimistic each of the last few years about CP after seeing some early videos, but the shows never quite got to the performance level that they appear to be getting to this year, that we are used to out of previous Cedar Park iterations. I don’t know if this will go down as one of my favorite CP shows (it’s got a bit too many musical ideas for me), but I’m excited that they’re taking on a more ambitious show and very much succeeding.

I don’t quite have them in the medal hunt (the top of the field is just too stacked), and the statement “top placing band in LISD” is pretty bold considering Vandy is likely the best band in the country at the moment, but I do have them landing in the top half at the moment if they can hold off their LISD rivals, and that will be a huge accomplishment after a few years of sub-par appearances.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, Michael0599 said:

It's great to see Cedar Park bulk up and run less JV this year. This has helped them get a more BOA competitive sound and they are visually big again, much like your 2016 GN show (just lacking some of the visual GE). I told people CP would be a force again this year. Their new director now has students learning his methodologies for their entire time in high school. That breeds consistency throughout a group. 

Being a Cedar Park homer I would love to see this. But following the season I can see them potentially grab top half but not a medal. Vandy is fantastically strong and are just getting better. LISD North has some serious chops as usual and this Hebron show is special,  Reagan is a GE generating monster and well played band who I wouldn'tbe surprised to see win it. You cannot discount the Woodlands nor CTJ. Of these bands, I think CP can get closest to CTJ.

1 minute ago, Origin said:

Crazy prediction:

1. Vandegrift

2. The Woodlands (GE)

3. Reagan (Visual)

4. Hebron (Music)

Vandy win with no captions 

This is honestly VERY possible in my eyes. I think the Vandy show is the most consistent across the board in terms of performance. Vandegrift also placed second in pre lims of 2017 by less than .25 with no captions.

2 hours ago, Origin said:

Crazy prediction:

1. Vandegrift

2. The Woodlands (GE)

3. Reagan (Visual)

4. Hebron (Music)

Vandy win with no captions 

It's always a surprise to see a band win with no captions, but I'd be especially surprised to see that happen this year. I think whichever band wins GE (or, maybe, both performance captions) will win this contest. The gaps between the bands in the performance captions should balance things out. Hebron and Vandegrift (and I would throw in Marcus) are the stronger bands musically; The Woodlands and Reagan are the stronger bands visually. And that's if you completely ignore CTJ. Vandegrift was the clear winner at the BOA-ish Texas Marching Classic, but remember that Vandegrift just barely edged out CTJ at BOA Austin finals. CTJ won both performance captions (tying for music) and was first place in music GE. Vandegrift won on visual GE, a caption that was judged by somebody who judges for DCI but is new to BOA, or at least rarely judges for BOA. I didn't disagree with the overall result, but these are facts to keep in mind.

Prelims will be interesting with the two separate judging panels. Reagan seems to be in a prime position to possibly overtake Vandegrift with that final performance spot on Saturday. Very sizeable time gap between those two performances, so Vandegrift is going to have to nail it (again). The Woodlands going right after CTJ on Friday is weird. I would have assumed Saturday preference. CTJ is just about the last band any group would want to perform after.

Finalists... Vandegrift, The Woodlands, Ronald Reagan, Hebron, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Marcus, Coppell, Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, Leander, Rouse, Cedar Ridge, Keller, aaaand Round Rock/Westlake/Pearland/Cypress Woods/James Bowie? Very competitive as always.

Vandegrift is my winner's pick right now, but I could see any one of Reagan, Woodlands, or CTJ being able to upset them. I have Hebron winning the music caption with the absurd music book they have, but I just don't think the show is strong enough visually to compete with the others. I see Cedar Park and one of Marcus or Vista Ridge in the top half, and then the usual suspects filling out finals with Leander, Cedar Ridge, Keller, etc. I'm also more confident in Coppell finally getting back into SA finals after their excellent performances at St. Louis. 2nd in prelims over Blue Springs and 3rd in finals by a decent margin is very impressive for the new staff there.