2021 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 5 & 6)

On 6/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, LeanderMomma said:

I’m betting we don’t see Hebron or Marcus at BOA San Antonio either. UIL is King. And y’all thought it was football. ?

I am a Marcus band parent.  The calendar our Director sent out a few weeks ago has BOA and UIL Finals along with Grand Nationals on it. 

I just checked Hebron’s band calendar and this contest is on it!  So happy to see the incredible Hebron Hawk band added to this competition. I admit I was a little worried with UIL and all. Maybe they got a guaranteed Saturday prelims slot. ?   They should have their pick of days with that bronze medal at GN in 2019 right?

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Definitely disappointing 

It’s possible they don’t want to “tip their hand” with only a few weeks to grand nats, with a show that’s likely more demanding than the average year and on an extended timeline in terms of cleanliness. Or perhaps just getting to use those days for rehearsal is reason enough. No matter what, I’m expecting big things from them.

2 hours ago, slowbrass said:

It’s possible they don’t want to “tip their hand” with only a few weeks to grand nats, with a show that’s likely more demanding than the average year and on an extended timeline in terms of cleanliness. Or perhaps just getting to use those days for rehearsal is reason enough. No matter what, I’m expecting big things from them.

or it could be the cost of 2 trips to San Antonio in a 5 day span in a year they are already going to Indy. either way - I can't wait to see their show this year

13 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

And missing a LOT of school. And avoiding general burnout. 

that is my concern as well - burnout, if you look at the programs that are going to Grand Nats, they are looking at 7 performances in a 9 day span. 4 in the Alamo dome and then 3 in Indy. Reagan and CTJ have the advantage of sleeping in their own beds with no long bus rides after their shows in the dome. but even then, those are some very long days and then the immediately head out to Indy - hopefully all are flying and not doing that long bus ride to Indy. Good Luck to all of them as they prepare to run their gauntlet of band competitions. the directors are going to have their work cut out for them in keeping them motivated through that stretch.

18 hours ago, slowbrass said:

Or maybe it is something none us have considered. It's their decision and I'm okay with it. I'm not disappointed or anything. I will still see them anyway and there are plenty of great bands to see in San Antonio. I am way more concerned that everyone's season can end immediately with one Covid mandate.

50 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Or maybe it is something none us have considered. It's their decision and I'm okay with it. I'm not disappointed or anything. I will still see them anyway and there are plenty of great bands to see in San Antonio. I am way more concerned that everyone's season can end immediately with one Covid mandate.

I think we will see less of the Covid mandates. the current wave has flattened and now on a decline in most of the Texas Metro areas. by the time BOA Austin rolls around we should be seeing people with a booster shots. At some point we are going to have to accept that Covid is here and likely to be around a while longer but may never go away. at some point we have to get on with our lives. whatever their reason, I look forward to seeing them at State and at Grand Nats  

On 8/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, banddad84 said:

or it could be the cost of 2 trips to San Antonio in a 5 day span in a year they are already going to Indy. either way - I can't wait to see their show this year

Interesting side note: to my knowledge flower mound (at least in 2018) stays in san antonio between BOA and UIL. I dont know what this means in terms of cost but i would imagine the hotels for 3 or 4 nights is more expensive than an extra round trip between dallas and san antonio.

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know if tickets will be available from ticket counter day of event for BOA San Antonio Super Regional? Or must they be purchased online in advance? It looks like the latter, but I vaguely remember tickets being sold onsite in 2019. Maybe that was for UIL or maybe I am making something up or maybe they did it before, but won't now. I don't see anything specific on the BOA website. Thanks!

2 hours ago, KC95 said:

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know if tickets will be available from ticket counter day of event for BOA San Antonio Super Regional? Or must they be purchased online in advance? It looks like the latter, but I vaguely remember tickets being sold onsite in 2019. Maybe that was for UIL or maybe I am making something up or maybe they did it before, but won't now. I don't see anything specific on the BOA website. Thanks!

my understanding is that they are pushing for online sales due to the Covid-19 concerns. that may change later based on infection levels and tickets sold - I would suggest online purchase - even if they open up ticket counter sales the tickets will be slim pickings

28 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

This might be a dumb question, but is there any kind of ticket bundle where I'd be able to just pay once and get a ticket for both days of prelims and then finals? I seem to remember doing that in 2019, but maybe I'm misremembering. 

if you buy the VIP package you get one ticket for the entire event in the press box. otherwise you have to by tickets for Prelim Fri $31.00, Prelim Sat $31.00 then Finals Sat either $36 for GA or $46 Reserved. - this is before the Ticketmaster mark up - not sure if you order them all that they just give you a single ticket but rather 3 different tickets

1 hour ago, banddad84 said:

if you buy the VIP package you get one ticket for the entire event in the press box. otherwise you have to by tickets for Prelim Fri $31.00, Prelim Sat $31.00 then Finals Sat either $36 for GA or $46 Reserved. - this is before the Ticketmaster mark up - not sure if you order them all that they just give you a single ticket but rather 3 different tickets

Will they be selling contest day tickets at the box office?

• 3 weeks later...

so, since it has been 2 years since we had BOA San Antonio, I looked at the rules in the BOA adjudication handbook to refresh how the 2 panel prelims will place bands in finals.

here are the actual rules.

2021 San Antonio Super Regional Championship: For determining the Finals Competition, the five (5) highest scoring Bands in each Prelim panel (10 total), regardless of class, will advance; plus, the next four (4) highest scoring bands determined from a combination of remaining scores from Prelims 1 and 2, regardless of class, will advance. The panel of judges for Finals will be comprised of a combination of adjudicators from both Prelims panels

with that said, here are my current thoughts on the top 10 (5 from each panel) that will advance to finals in San Antonio. with the remaining 4 being selected based on next highest scores.

welcome your thoughts - I know it is early but lets have some fun with this.....

these 10 are in Alpha Order regardless of panel 

• Cedar Park
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • Hebron
  • Leander
  • Marcus
  • Reagan
  • Rouse
  • The Woodlands
  • Vandegrift
  • Vista Ridge

we are a month out - let's see how well this post ages