Bands you are most pumped to see in 2021

Hey everyone, with the 2021 BOA season looking like it could be a reality, I would like to facilitate some more great discussion on here. Who Are you most excited to see in 2021?? Personally, I am excited to see everyone, but there are a few in my mind who I am really curious and excited to see for 2021. I am a Houston guy so bear with me. Heres a few: 

Johnson: They will have seniors! Cant wait to see this young band blow more people away. 

SFA: 2019 was a big comeback year for them, with their first super regional finals appearance in almost a decade, and a band that is much larger than they have been in recent years. What could 2021 bring??

Westfield: Like SFA, 2019 is the best they have been in easily a decade. The judges didn't always like them, but this was the largest, healthiest, most confident Westfield since 2007 easily. 

Bridgeland: In 2019, I had them largely written off after their 17th placement at BOA Houston. BOY was I wrong, at Cypress Showcase I felt like I was watching a top 5 finisher at BOASA. They were also very strong in 2020!

Jordan: Brand new for 2020, and performed incredibly well. Give it a few years, and this might be the best band in KISD. 

Cedar Park: In recent history, every time a director has retired and promoted the younger assistant, it worked out VERY well for the program, (Round Rock, Leander, ETC). I cant wait to see what this program puts out in 2021. 

Spring: See Westfield, but instead of best in a decade, maybe best in 5 years. 

Exciting to think of Spring and Westfield bringing back their glory days!  
SFA as well.  Great history with those schools.

I always look forward to seeing what Cedar Park will bring and I always know that it’s going to be great. 

I haven’t even heard of Jordan. Is that in the Keller area?  

Johnson is an exciting band indeed and I bet they SHOW UP this fall!

On 3/7/2021 at 6:21 AM, LeanderMomma said:

I always look forward to seeing what Cedar Park will bring and I always know that it’s going to be great. 

Jordan is the newest Katy ISD school under some pretty good staff IMO. 

On 3/7/2021 at 6:21 AM, LeanderMomma said:

Jordan got 3rd place at 5A Area E this past year behind Barbers Hill and Fulshear. Wouldve advanced to State if it was their year. Gotta watch for them next year.

The 4As, if 2020 is what they can do during a pandemic, then I'm almost terrified what by what they can do this year. Some particulars:

Burnet: Had a re-breakout year under a new director, going to be returning to BOA. 

Wills Point: They had an amazingly design show in 2020, makes me excited what they have planned for BOA Grand Nats.

Melissa: This band just keeps getting better and better, probably my 4A favorite show from 2020.

Canyon: Their state performance was underwhelming in the second half, but their opener was legitimate state champs material.

Calallen: It's always great to see Corpus Christi bands in the spotlight and I hope to see them build on their success from the 2020 season.

Argyle: This one's a given, their state performance was absolutely unreal and if they continue down that path they'll be competitive in 5A when the eventually move up.

Lake Belton: Year 2 of this band in existence, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on them.

5 hours ago, zoomer said:

Jordan is the newest Katy ISD school under some pretty good staff IMO. 

Agreed! That good staff includes Fort Bend Clements director Daniel Galloway leading this new program and assisted by my daughter, Lauren Batchelor (proud Dad here)....

..... plus Meredith Owen (guard) and Ethan Ahmad (percussion). Excited to see this group in the years to come. 

6 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

Jordan got 3rd place at 5A Area E this past year behind Barbers Hill and Fulshear. Wouldve advanced to State if it was their year. Gotta watch for them next year.

Not to diminish the outstanding performance of this incredible first year band, but for the sake of accuracy, no Jordan would have not qualified for state. Only 11 bands qualified for Area, meaning only 2 would advance to state. Not to mention the DNA band was Foster, and Friendswood abstained from UIL altogether. 

All my nitpicking aside, considering Area E will likely be taking 3 bands to state this year, Jordan is definitely in the conversation for being within that top 3. Barbers Hill, Churchill Fulshear, Friendswood, and Foster will definitely keep things interesting, however. I love the storylines coming out of the 5A Houston bands and want them all to succeed, so bringing it back around to the original topic of the thread: I am pumped to see [insert basically any 5A band in Area E or I here] this year. 

Edit: I completely forgot Kempner is 5A now! Gees Area E is gonna be a bloodbath for those last 2 spots behind Friendswood.

13 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

Not to diminish the outstanding performance of this incredible first year band, but for the sake of accuracy, no Jordan would have not qualified for state. Only 11 bands qualified for Area, meaning only 2 would advance to state. Not to mention the DNA band was Foster, and Friendswood abstained from UIL altogether. 

All my nitpicking aside, considering Area E will likely be taking 3 bands to state this year, Jordan is definitely in the conversation for being within that top 3. Barbers Hill, Churchill Fulshear, Friendswood, and Foster will definitely keep things interesting, however. I love the storylines coming out of the 5A Houston bands and want them all to succeed, so bringing it back around to the original topic of the thread: I am pumped to see [insert basically any 5A band in Area E or I here] this year. 

Edit: I completely forgot Kempner is 5A now! Gees Area E is gonna be a bloodbath for those last 2 spots behind Friendswood.

Oh my bad! I just saw that they had a 3rd place while the 3 bands under them had finalists so I thought they wouldve advanced but thanks for the info!

I'm particularly excited for The Woodlands. They were a pretty young band in 2019, and based on their trajectory, I think they could definitely surprise a lot of people this-coming season (in a good way, of course!). I absolutely adored their show in 2019 and they very well at state this year (3 2 3 in music!!!!!). I have no doubt The Woodlands will bring an incredible program with them to Indy this November.

7 hours ago, TWHSPercDad said:

Agreed! That good staff includes Fort Bend Clements director Daniel Galloway leading this new program and assisted by my daughter, Lauren Batchelor (proud Dad here)....

..... plus Meredith Owen (guard) and Ethan Ahmad (percussion). Excited to see this group in the years to come. 

They were the strongest 1st year band I have ever seen live, and that is saying alot considering how many restrictions there were. I think they are definitely a contender for state next year. Fulshear TX is now a major marching band community with both Jordan and Churchill Fulshear developing very strong programs in a short amount of time.

4 hours ago, abtwitch said:

No hate on Friendswood at all, they are an amazing band, but I think there is a 25% chance they might get surpassed by a certain other rapidly rising band in the area who wasnt quite in the picture yet in 2019

23 minutes ago, Cityscapes said:

No hate on Friendswood at all, they are an amazing band, but I think there is a 25% chance they might get surpassed by a certain other rapidly rising band in the area who wasnt quite in the picture yet in 2019

I definitely wouldn't be too surprised if that happened, but as of now I think it is a safe assumption that Friendswood will take first dominantly. Only band I could see surpassing them based on their current trajectory is Fulshear. Going from never making 5A state finals to beating a top 6 band is a HUGE stretch, but anything is possible in the world of high school band.

22 hours ago, abtwitch said:

I definitely wouldn't be too surprised if that happened, but as of now I think it is a safe assumption that Friendswood will take first dominantly. Only band I could see surpassing them based on their current trajectory is Fulshear. Going from never making 5A state finals to beating a top 6 band is a HUGE stretch, but anything is possible in the world of high school band.

I agree, but I definitely think it is possible. Maybe not this year but in the near future at least. I have no affiliation with LCISD or Fulshear HS, but I am highly impressed with them and becoming a huge fan!

2 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

I agree, but I definitely think it is possible. Maybe not this year but in the near future at least. I have no affiliation with LCISD or Fulshear HS, but I am highly impressed with them and becoming a huge fan!

I had the privilege to see their wind ensemble perform live in 2020 weeks before the pandemic hit, so I also have been incredibly excited for what the future holds for them.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, gregorydf01 said:

Biased as well, will put LISD (South):

Vista Ridge (Can't wait to see Vista's first GN Show!)

Leander

Vandegrift

Cedar Park

Rouse

Glenn

?

VERY excited to see Glenn. There going places. I saw them in BOASA prelims in 2019, and those kids were really getting into their performance and purely enjoying the moment.

I also have to give a big shoutout to Plano East. They are a very under the radar DFW area powerhouse, with so much talent, but never quite has a design that translates well in BOA. This season, while they didnt place in the top 30, I believe was the best Plano East band in a LONG time. Very big sound and ambitious drill. Looking forward to 2021

On 3/18/2021 at 6:24 PM, LostChoirGuy said:

I'm excited for whoever our grand nats contenders will be.

Speaking of which, it's been a year and I still need to know what the deal is with Vista Ridge's teaser. 

The best I could come up with was that Vorca maybe has something to do with vortex or cycles (maybe drills?) and that Rhe could be an acronym for Radiation Hazard Effects? Assuming they still plan to take that show to GN, I'm very excited to see how it turns out now that it had even more time to develop.

4 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

The best I could come up with was that Vorca maybe has something to do with vortex or cycles (maybe drills?) and that Rhe could be an acronym for Radiation Hazard Effects? Assuming they still plan to take that show to GN, I'm very excited to see how it turns out now that it had even more time to develop.

That is still the plan.

I’m very excited to see Bridgeland high school. For a young program they have done very well and were even going to go for grand nationals in 2020 if it wasn’t for COVID 19. Personally I’m shocked that they got 15TH place at the 2020 State UIL, their show was way too good to score that low. I’m very excited to see their 2021 show and their band become the next big thing in the future. 

2 hours ago, Survivorking0812 said:

I’m very excited to see Bridgeland high school. For a young program they have done very well and were even going to go for grand nationals in 2020 if it wasn’t for COVID 19. Personally I’m shocked that they got 15TH place at the 2020 State UIL, their show was way too good to score that low. I’m very excited to see their 2021 show and their band become the next big thing in the future. 

Bridgeland is one of the bands I'm most pumped for next year. I also thought their 15th placement at State was a little low. I had them in the top 10