2021 Texas Marching Classic (Oct. 9)

this year is shaping up to be an epic season for Texas Bands. Looks like Vista Ridge and CTJ will get a chance to square off many times prior to Grand Nats. BOA Austin, TMC, (Possibly Area as well at Kelly Reeves) BOA SA and then UIL State as the past 2 State 6A Champs before making the trek to Indy. I have no doubt that both programs will have a pumped up show for their grand nats trip. Will be interesting to see what other programs announce a trip to Indy.

also interested to see what impact Covid has on program size. I have heard that many of the middle schools and even high school have seen some serious decline in membership. some kids gave up on music during the virtual school - middle school kids that abandoned music in 7th or 8th grade may never recover to participate in high school band. that could have a significant impact on the size of many programs. time will tell.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, banddad84 said:

this year is shaping up to be an epic season for Texas Bands. Looks like Vista Ridge and CTJ will get a chance to square off many times prior to Grand Nats. BOA Austin, TMC, (Possibly Area as well at Kelly Reeves) BOA SA and then UIL State as the past 2 State 6A Champs before making the trek to Indy. I have no doubt that both programs will have a pumped up show for their grand nats trip. Will be interesting to see what other programs announce a trip to Indy.

also interested to see what impact Covid has on program size. I have heard that many of the middle schools and even high school have seen some serious decline in membership. some kids gave up on music during the virtual school - middle school kids that abandoned music in 7th or 8th grade may never recover to participate in high school band. that could have a significant impact on the size of many programs. time will tell.

I have heard from certain districts that they will still offer an online option, but should they choose it, they will be considered a student at the districts online academy. So while some programs may be a bit smaller, they will not have to worry about students not showing up/zooming in. 

This contest is likely the most stacked non BOA/UIL competition in the nation. For example, there were several bands last year that didnt make finals at this comp who absolutely wowed when I saw them at other contests. Id even go as far to say that several bands who missed finals here last year could have made it in at BOA Houston, namely Weiss and Clements. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, banddad84 said:

It is going to be an awesome year for sure. not only with Vista/CTJ squaring off, but we cant forget Vandergrift and Ronald Reagan. Vandergrift is the "reigning" National Champion, Ronald Reagan beat them head to head I believe twice in 2019. 

It is going to be interesting to see how well all the programs recover. Even though most programs did some sort of marching show in 2020, you still have 2 years worth of students who don't have a lot of experience performing a full length, high level show. Rouse HS was one of the rising stars in 5A. Is COVID going to set the program back a couple of years? Only time will tell.   

I really like the lineup for this contest! Definitely will be interesting to see how all the programs do. Vista Ridge and CTJ will be an epic match to see! Vandegrift returning to competition, and being the reigning BOA Grand National Champion, and many other amazing programs, this contest will be one to remember! Also can't forget about Cedar Park, Leander, and Rouse! Those schools will definitely bring something to the table, especially after the 2018 and 2019 season!

• 2 weeks later...

Reagan has BOA Houston, TX Marching Classic, all UIL events, BOASA, and Grand Nationals on their calendar.  All of it is marked as "tentative," which I assume is due to ongoing uncertainty over the COVID situation, rather than the announcement that the head director is leaving at the end of this school year. 

31 minutes ago, TXBandFan said:

Reagan has BOA Houston, TX Marching Classic, all UIL events, BOASA, and Grand Nationals on their calendar.  All of it is marked as "tentative," which I assume is due to ongoing uncertainty over the COVID situation, rather than the announcement that the head director is leaving at the end of this school year. 

all of those competitions are their routine years with the exception of BOA Grand Nats - I think that may have been added when last years event got cancelled due to Covid. I would be surprised to see them do Grand Nats in 2021 with a new director especially since a new director has not been named and they did not compete last year so they could, like many others have a freshman and sophomore class that are new to a full marching season.

If they go - I wish them luck and I will be there cheering for the them

• 3 weeks later...
  • LeanderMomma changed the title to 2021 Texas Marching Classic (Oct. 9)
  • 1 month later...