2021 Texas Marching Classic (Oct. 9)

53 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

I think the guy just doesn’t like Round Rock cause he never got on to criticize CTJ for going to contests like BOA McAllen and Midland, Judson Rocket Review, or Rough Rider. Or look at Burleson Centennial dropping BOA Austin to instead attend a local USBands competition which they won by nearly 4 points. Or Hebron and Flower Mound going to local contests where they absolutely dominated. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Programs should be able to choose what contests they want to go to for any reason they like, whether it’s for “competitive strategy,” experience for the kids, loyalty to another program, or whatever. What matters at the end of the day is that the kids are getting out there and performing their show in spite of everything that’s going on around them. 

I didn't read anyone saying that they didn't like Round Rock. It's a shame that your reading comprehension is so poor.

4 hours ago, banddad84 said:

not sure why everyone gets so bent when someone makes a comment about strategy, I took a similar beating earlier this year when I made a comment about a program spending a great deal of money to go to Grand Nats but not attending any other BOA Events that year or even in the past few years.

Every program uses a different approach and that is there right. but you would think that you would want to get another opportunity to compete in your back yard against some of the same programs you will see again at BOA-SA as well as in Indy and get comments from the adjudicators on the performance opinions so you can make adjustments before SA and G Nats.

It has been mentioned that CTJ will be attending this year, this will be there first time here since 2012. Why? Because, while TMC is not a BOA Event it is mostly scored like one. 2 of the Music judges from BOA Austin will also be at TMC and it is a chance to see what they think of your progress over the past 2 weeks . and many of the same judges that are at TMC will also be at BOA-SA and more importantly at Grand Nats. so you want those comments now so you can adjust to their comments in hopes of elevating those scores at the later events scored by the same judges.

I tried to make that same point with the beating I took earlier this year. if you are going all in to spend $400K to make a trip to Indy, you would think you would want to get your band in front of those judges as often as possible to get those opinions - especially if they will be judging you again later in the season. just my thoughts.

I agree with your assessment but I agree less with the other posters.

What you’re saying makes sense. For example, why is Flower Mound favoring UIL over BOA on one of their few National years? Why aren’t they getting those kids in front of BOA judges who are using the same scale the National ones will. Why is Flower Mound skipping San Antonio on the one year it will be most useful to them. 

I think you’re making the point in a little bit less of an aggressive pointy way. Honestly I think Round Rocks case with the Westlake contest is probably the only slight exception to the rule, simply out of common courtesy for the Westlake program at least. It may not be the most logical contest wise but some things just supersede that. We have to know when to put aside competition and put forwards our community.

To be fair, from what I’ve heard through the grapevine, Flower Mound didn’t make their choice on their own accord. For things like that, school administrations matter too (not just district, but the school itself). 

also, these programs at this caliber have constant feedback from BOA judges outside of competitions. They come in and clinic, watch videos, speak personally with directors, etc. Even without the direct comparison, there are still many checkpoints along the way. There have been years that Mason or BA just walk into Grand Nationals without having been to a BOA all season and they’re just fine. 

7 hours ago, Roman Koval said:

Nothing it is just my sign. I'm a member of this music community. I'm a young musician, so it is the tool for learning musical technics and practice. Sorry if it's bothering you.

https://musescore.com/community

No worries. I was just making sure it wasn’t a spam account. We get those every now and then and we like to keep it spamfree in here. 

5 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Any updates from anyone at this contest? Shame this one doesn't have a livestream

"Leandermomma" Instagram's feed has some short recordings from the bands today.   Also TX Bands is has the live blog going on this one.  You can click on the 2nd link on the Txbands Liveblog page.