2021 Texas Marching Classic (Oct. 9)

Another great competition in the books! Here are a few of my takeaways and thoughts after watching finals:

1. Vandy is coming for state. Clean in every aspect. Amazing product and love the ballad. Well deserved win tonight.

2. Reagan surprised me a little bit. Was blown away with their sounds and visual consistency but I wasn't hit with the same effect as I was in 2019. This very well might be because of the high expectations I had for them, as Secret World was on another level of amazing but they still had a very impressive show. Also shoutout to their parents who took over the KRAC during their performance.

3. CTJ was my personal favorite and was a clear crowd favorite; had whole stadium on their feet. Their brass is incredible and they have a incredibly visually challenging show that will only get cleaner. 

4. Cedar Park is back.

5. Did someone say size down? I don't think Leander cares. They sounded amazing and were so powerful and balanced even with the smaller numbers. Happy for my friends over there.

6. Hendrickson has my vote for most improved band of this contest. They cleaned up a lot of things musically and it had a big impact on the field. Loved the props and the way they were utilized throughout the show. Excited to see how they do at state after their reclassification.

These are just my opinions, I am just a kid who goes and enjoys these competitions like everyone else. Go band!

Full point between Vandegrift and Reagan is maybe a little excessive, but no major complaints from me. We'll see what the judges think when San Antonio rolls around. I think the spreads are close enough that things could change later in the season. CTJ and Reagan are right next to each other, for sure, so that will be interesting to keep an eye on.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Recaps are out, haven’t had a chance to look at them fully but something I noticed really quickly was Cedar Park above CTJ in prelims (albeit by 0.137)

Cedar Park was amazing and has a brilliant and wonderfully executed show.  But to be fair to CTJ they had electrical problems and performed their entire prelims show without most of their front ensemble...with some of the drill and choreography performed in complete silence.  

13 minutes ago, Bandmomoftexas said:

Cedar Park was amazing and has a brilliant and wonderfully executed show.  But to be fair to CTJ they had electrical problems and performed their entire prelims show without most of their front ensemble...with some of the drill and choreography performed in complete silence.  

and yet one of the judges had them in 4th in prelims and the same 4th in finals in a different music caption even though prelims has no piano's or pit in a show that is about dueling Piano's 

2 minutes ago, Josegjr said:

Great competition yesterday. I have been so upset though after a few events transpired after the competition. When the finalist bands were in the parking lot a few kids from those bands called the JBA kids “F beaners”. Myself nor do the kids know because all the finalists bands were walking by. It’s a really sad thing to hear especially after all of us in the stadium were there to enjoy and stood up to clap after every finalist performance. Nobody deserves to have any racial slur said to them! I hope everyone on here knows how incredibly disgusted I am to hear this! We as a band community already face some bullying and then to hear this from within our own community is disappointing. I hope everyone sees just how wrong this is and I hope we find out who it was and an apology is made. Because who ever those kids were, you’re representing an organization and I’m sure no organization on here condones that kind of behavior. 

One thing about these bands that are uprising is they will stop at nothing to reach success. It really upsets me that they were making these slurs when all JBA did was support every single band. They shared almost every band on the field via Instagram story and cheered them on. Why can’t our kids show unconditional love and support for each other regardless of where they come from? What a sick world we live in…JBA and the rest of the bands there did amazing. JBA is scaring other programs, there’s a reason why they don’t want them competing with the big dogs. Their staff is phenomenal, they do not care about any negativity and frankly they shouldn’t. They have proven to be extremely successful. Congratulations to all bands…let’s put a stop to this non-sense.  

22 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Full point between Vandegrift and Reagan is maybe a little excessive, but no major complaints from me. We'll see what the judges think when San Antonio rolls around. I think the spreads are close enough that things could change later in the season. CTJ and Reagan are right next to each other, for sure, so that will be interesting to keep an eye on.

But were you THERE?!?!  ???

This was a very good contest. Congratulations to all performing bands.

I would like to repeat what everyone has already said. Don’t spread random rumors especially when they’re totally wrong and with topics as heavy as disqualification. Students do read these boards and that can have negative effects. 

I feel awful for those JBA kids and I hope the students responsible for those comments are held responsible. They didn’t have to travel to Austin but they did and they did great and behaved very responsibly, nobody deserves those comments and especially not the JBA students. 

Congratulations to all finalists and a special congratulations to the first few bands out. McNeil almost cracked finals and they’ve been improving immensely. I think we should recognize their work along with Belton who also came quite close.

5 hours ago, Josegjr said:

Great competition yesterday. I have been so upset though after a few events transpired after the competition. When the finalist bands were in the parking lot a few kids from those bands called the JBA kids “F beaners”. Myself nor do the kids know because all the finalists bands were walking by. It’s a really sad thing to hear especially after all of us in the stadium were there to enjoy and stood up to clap after every finalist performance. Nobody deserves to have any racial slur said to them! I hope everyone on here knows how incredibly disgusted I am to hear this! We as a band community already face some bullying and then to hear this from within our own community is disappointing. I hope everyone sees just how wrong this is and I hope we find out who it was and an apology is made. Because who ever those kids were, you’re representing an organization and I’m sure no organization on here condones that kind of behavior. 

Unbelievably disappointed to hear this. JBA was easily one of the most entertaining shows of the night, and heck even if it wasn't, NO ONE deserves that kind of treatment. Make my blood boil to know that they got away with this. 

Being called beaner is nothing new. I remember when I was in high school (big 5A school from the Valley when 5A was the biggest thing) and we were called beaners by San Antonio Taft football and band members. It happened to me..it wasn't a rumor, I was the victim. Biggest difference was that we were expecting it because our band director warned us. We took it in stride. Its now 30 years later and people still say stupid stuff all of the time. People talk crap about you when they are afraid of you. JBA is coming now becoming a powerhouse band, along with Roma. Expect trash ignorant talk from idiots who don't know any better. And, when its all said and done, feel sorry for ignorant people. At the end of the day, it's their loss and their ignorance that will catch up to them.

22 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Being called beaner is nothing new. I remember when I was in high school (big 5A school from the Valley when 5A was the biggest thing) and we were called beaners by San Antonio Taft football and band members. It happened to me..it wasn't a rumor, I was the victim. Biggest difference was that we were expecting it because our band director warned us. We took it in stride. Its now 30 years later and people still say stupid stuff all of the time. People talk crap about you when they are afraid of you. JBA is coming now becoming a powerhouse band, along with Roma. Expect trash ignorant talk from idiots who don't know any better. And, when its all said and done, feel sorry for ignorant people. At the end of the day, it's their loss and their ignorance that will catch up to them.

Words only have the power you give them. If you get upset, the people using them win. Don't let them win. It is a choice.