#teamtexas - 2021 Grand Nationals

So in 2019, I put together a Facebook page for #teamtexas to post and follow the 6 bands that attended Grand Nationals. it was a great deal of fun as we had more than 700 members sharing the success of our programs.

I have just created a new page on Facebook for 2021 Team Texas. 

you can search #TeamTexas 2021 Grand Nats - the page will request you to state your band affiliation - this is done as we got a lot of foreign spam that try to join to troll for members info on the last site and did not answer and are written in Arabic. this page is for all  fans of #teamtexas - even if your program is not attending. To my knowledge, only Vista Ridge has announced that they will be attending by I am sure that there will be more to come

JOIN.US.2021.BOA_1.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I am actually thoroughly surprised that even these schools will have the financial means, let alone the ability with district restrictions, to make the trip up north. I hope that marching band this fall runs strong!

Yes, I know, it's as if you are seeing a ghost here. I think it is time I start being a bit more active in these parts again....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder to join our facebook page to follow the Texas Bands making the trek to Indy in November. I have seen statements that there are 6 bands that have committed to Grand Nats.

• CTJ
  • Vista Ridge
  • Pearland
  • Round Rock
  • Wills Point
  • Jack C Hays

there are also 9 rumored programs - while I am sure it will change in the coming months as we start to see the programs actually committed through BOA - but this could be the largest #TeamTexas contingent ever in Indy

be sure to join our Facebook group to follow all the programs as they go through their season leading up to Grand Nats

Look for us on Facebook - search #Team Texas 2021 Grand Nats - you can join the group even if you or your program is not attending. it is a private group that will ask for your school - this is just to keep the spammers that attempt to join to get your personal info.

8 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

There is a certain point where we have so many Texas bands that we start pushing our own out of the finals, but it is nice to see a large contingent attend. I so hope we get to have a normal or near normal marching season this year. It's definitely going to be a rebuilding year for most bands.

I agree, with 7 bands that appear to have confirmed and still a few more that are still likely to announce, we may in fact be pushing out some other Texas bands. in 2019 all 6 Texas bands made finals and placed in the top 10 in semi finals, but it was a year that did not see a number of powerhouse programs that would normally attend  - Tarpon, Broken Arrow, Blue Springs to name but a few. If they make appearances in 2021 it will limit the number of Texas Bands that will advance. CTJ, Vista Ridge, Bowie and Pearland would be likely finalist. I have not seen that Wills Point or Jack C Hays are normally BOA participants so I am not familiar with their levels or where they will land.

I am also hopeful that we can have something closer to a normal year this marching season and it is exciting to see so many bands from Texas making their first trek to Indy. 

3 hours ago, banddad84 said:

I agree, with 7 bands that appear to have confirmed and still a few more that are still likely to announce, we may in fact be pushing out some other Texas bands. in 2019 all 6 Texas bands made finals and placed in the top 10 in semi finals, but it was a year that did not see a number of powerhouse programs that would normally attend  - Tarpon, Broken Arrow, Blue Springs to name but a few. If they make appearances in 2021 it will limit the number of Texas Bands that will advance. CTJ, Vista Ridge, Bowie and Pearland would be likely finalist. I have not seen that Wills Point or Jack C Hays are normally BOA participants so I am not familiar with their levels or where they will land.

I am also hopeful that we can have something closer to a normal year this marching season and it is exciting to see so many bands from Texas making their first trek to Indy. 

I wouldn't leave Round Rock out of the likely finalists. 

2 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

I wouldn't leave Round Rock out of the likely finalists. 

We will have to see who the attendees will be - how many other powerhouse programs make the trek from Texas? how many non-Texas powerhouse programs will be there? I know it may be outdated because we did not have a true 2020 season, but the 2019 BOA SA had the following finalists - the programs in bold CONFIRMED to attend

• 3 - Vista Ridge - No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 7 - Claudia Taylor Johnson  - 2020 UIL 6A State Champion
  • 8 - The Woodlands - 2020 UIL 6A State Finalist
  • 9 -  FlowerMound - 2020 UIL 6A Bronze Medalist
  • 11 - James Bowie - No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 12 - Round Rock -  No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 14 - Pearland - 

I think the best case is that Texas may take 4-5  finals spots at Grand Nats - I think that the impact on the 2021 season for those that did not have any form of competitive season could be a large Freshman and Sophomore class that are truly new to the marching arts. there ability to  navigate that will impact their seasons. it should be a great season and we are hoping for something that resembles normal.

4 hours ago, banddad84 said:

We will have to see who the attendees will be - how many other powerhouse programs make the trek from Texas? how many non-Texas powerhouse programs will be there? I know it may be outdated because we did not have a true 2020 season, but the 2019 BOA SA had the following finalists - the programs in bold CONFIRMED to attend

• 3 - Vista Ridge - No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 7 - Claudia Taylor Johnson  - 2020 UIL 6A State Champion
  • 8 - The Woodlands - 2020 UIL 6A State Finalist
  • 9 -  FlowerMound - 2020 UIL 6A Bronze Medalist
  • 11 - James Bowie - No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 12 - Round Rock -  No Competitive 2020 Season
  • 14 - Pearland - 

I think the best case is that Texas may take 4-5  finals spots at Grand Nats - I think that the impact on the 2021 season for those that did not have any form of competitive season could be a large Freshman and Sophomore class that are truly new to the marching arts. there ability to  navigate that will impact their seasons. it should be a great season and we are hoping for something that resembles normal.

Still, it matters what they have to put on the field next year, not what anyone had this year. Round Rock has been 4 times before and made the finals each time even in years that they didn't make the finals in San Antonio. I wouldn't leave them out of the list of likely finalists. Statistics are nerd play and I enjoy that as well, but experience with what it takes to make the finals in Indy is a huge factor. Neither Vista Ridge or Pearland have that at this point. Of course, I am not saying that they don't have a chance or a good chance. What they have next year will determine that.

1 hour ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Still, it matters what they have to put on the field next year, not what anyone had this year. Round Rock has been 4 times before and made the finals each time even in years that they didn't make the finals in San Antonio. I wouldn't leave them out of the list of likely finalists. Statistics are nerd play and I enjoy that as well, but experience with what it takes to make the finals in Indy is a huge factor. Neither Vista Ridge or Pearland have that at this point. Of course, I am not saying that they don't have a chance or a good chance. What they have next year will determine that.

I understand that you are obviously a Round Rock fan - just as I am a CTJ fan - but understand that I used 2019 results as that is the last full year we had all shows on the field and competing against each other. my bigger concern would be the programs that did not have a competitive season in 2020 and will now have both a freshman and sophomore class that have to learn the competitive marching season as well as deal with what could be a significant drop in size due to non-participation. to my knowledge, non of the Austin area schools had a competitive season and will be in that boat.

I wish Round Rock all the best and look forward to what they have on the field in 6 months

Although Round Rock did not have a competitive season. They did start a marching fundamentals camp back in January which I'm pretty sure included the incoming freshman. They also have a spring marching show that will be presented to the parents/community in May. Although this does not make up for a competitive season. I'm sure it will be helpful. I'm assuming many bands will be doing something similar.

50 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

I understand that you are obviously a Round Rock fan - just as I am a CTJ fan - but understand that I used 2019 results as that is the last full year we had all shows on the field and competing against each other. my bigger concern would be the programs that did not have a competitive season in 2020 and will now have both a freshman and sophomore class that have to learn the competitive marching season as well as deal with what could be a significant drop in size due to non-participation. to my knowledge, non of the Austin area schools had a competitive season and will be in that boat.

I wish Round Rock all the best and look forward to what they have on the field in 6 months

No, I am a band fan. Just going by 50+ years of marching band experience.