UIL State Contest 2021 (Includes all conferences)

Hey everyone, I know that we have just finished up State for 2020, but I thought it would be a good time to now make the topic for the 2021 contest. The 2020 season really brought in a weird year for the marching season, but now 2021, UIL is allowing there to be State for all conferences. That means we will see 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A compete at the State contest! I can't wait to see what the 2021 contest brings, Especially with 2A, 4A, and 6A returning once again!

Interesting side effect of the current schedule for state next year: for 2021, the Alamodome will overtake Lucas Oil Stadium in the number of days it holds marching band events. for the past several years, Lucas Oil has had the most days of marching competitions, but with the addition of three more days for UIL, the Alamodome takes the lead.

• Lucas Oil: Grand Nationals (3 days), Indy Super Regional (2 days), ISSMA State (1 day): 6 total
  • Alamodome: SA Super Regional (2 days), UIL State (normally 3 days, now 6): 8 total

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 8:04 PM, J-Mike16 said:

Um ok! I predict Leander to be the next 5A state Champion and for Hendrickson to do so well that they beat Cedar Park and gets 2nd

Leander getting bumped down to 5A really puts pressure on Cedar Park, Rouse, and Glen. All of which made the Finals (Cedar park #1, and Rouse #4). I think It's very possible we see a repeat of 2015 with a Leander ISD sweep in 5A.

14 hours ago, propsquaddad said:

Leander getting bumped down to 5A really puts pressure on Cedar Park, Rouse, and Glen. All of which made the Finals (Cedar park #1, and Rouse #4). I think It's very possible we see a repeat of 2015 with a Leander ISD sweep in 5A.

The 2015 Leander show is one of my favorites! That would be awesome to see Leander take the state title this year!

• 2 months later...

So, Godley(4A) has released their marching schedule for the 2021 season! They are announcing their show Monday, April 19th. The marching competitions they will be hosting/attending this year are as follows:

Wildcat Marching Festival-September 25th

Princeton Marching Classic-October 2nd

Sound of Springtown-October 9th

UIL Region 30-October 16th

UIL Area D 4A-October 30th

Castleberry is expected to make a return this marching season with a NEW head band director AND in the 3A portion of our Region, we should see the addition of Keene ISD. They officially started a band program back in 2018 and have enough to start a competing marching band this year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, Skillet2019 said:

So, Godley(4A) has released their marching schedule for the 2021 season! They are announcing their show Monday, April 19th. The marching competitions they will be hosting/attending this year are as follows:

Wildcat Marching Festival-September 25th

Princeton Marching Classic-October 2nd

Sound of Springtown-October 9th

UIL Region 30-October 16th

UIL Area D 4A-October 30th

Castleberry is expected to make a return this marching season with a NEW head band director AND in the 3A portion of our Region, we should see the addition of Keene ISD. They officially started a band program back in 2018 and have enough to start a competing marching band this year.

can't wait to see what is in store! Also can't wait to see castleberry return! I will have my UIL videos return, so getting to talk about them potentially making state will be fun!

On 12/20/2020 at 10:26 PM, banddad84 said:

the real impact could be on 6A programs that may be considering Grand Nats just a few days later. will the schools and districts sign off on that much time out of class? it has happened before where 6A programs have gone to Gnats on a UIL State year.

Looks like you were on to something with this back in December as it would appear that Flower Mound has indeed decided to forgo BOA San Antonio in order to compete in UIL and at GN this November.  

Of course attending BOA San Antonio does not have to mean that you miss any class time. DFW bands are far enough out to get Saturday timeslots (DFW is farther away than Houston). TWHS goes for Saturdays to minimize the time out of classes, even if it means being at the school at 3 am to catch the buses.

On 5/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, Dave609 said:

can't wait to see what is in store! Also can't wait to see castleberry return! I will have my UIL videos return, so getting to talk about them potentially making state will be fun!

The marching show for Godley for the 2021 season is ‘Top Secret’ with music from James Bond! Gonna be a great year!!

20 hours ago, TWHSParent said:

Of course attending BOA San Antonio does not have to mean that you miss any class time. DFW bands are far enough out to get Saturday timeslots (DFW is farther away than Houston). TWHS goes for Saturdays to minimize the time out of classes, even if it means being at the school at 3 am to catch the buses.

True - but it could just be an issue of costs for an additional trip and/or stay in San Antonio in a year when they are planning a trip to Indy. also could be a matter of driving VS flying to Indy, or doing 7 performances in 8 days - sorry to see FloMo not go to San Antonio but excited to see them in Indy

2 hours ago, banddad84 said:

True - but it could just be an issue of costs for an additional trip and/or stay in San Antonio in a year when they are planning a trip to Indy. also could be a matter of driving VS flying to Indy, or doing 7 performances in 8 days - sorry to see FloMo not go to San Antonio but excited to see them in Indy

Absolutely - but everyone seemed stuck on the missing classes as the main reason, when it was probably something else that the program has to deal with. The path is both curvy and bumpy!

I think we will be seeing one of the greatest seasons in Marching Band! Not only in UIL, but in BOA as well. So many great lineups, many bands being able to return to competition, and already seeing some amazing show concepts! I can't wait to see what is in store once contests start in September/October! Also, we will be seeing alot of band programs who will be trying to get the State title again. These are all the reigning state champions from 2019 and 2020. 

1A: Irion County (2019 UIL State Open Class Champion)

2A: Thorndale (2020 UIL State Open Class Champion)

3A: Minneola (2019 UIL State Open Class Champion)

4A: Argyle (2020 UIL State Open Class Champion)

5A: Cedar Park (2019 UIL State Open Class Champion)

6A: Claudia Taylor Johnson (2020 UIL State Open Class Champion)

Military State Contest:

2A: Carlisle (2020 UIL State Military Champion)

4A: Lindale (2020 UIL State Military Champion)

We will be seeing new champions in the military state contest this year as 1A, 3A, 5A, and 6A will all be crowning a champion for the first time!

We also can't forget about Grand Nationals (I know this post is for UIL State, but I want to mention this). We have the reigning champion Vandegrift making a return, so it will be cool to see how they do this season! 

I am very excited for the season!!! How about ya'll?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, propsquaddad said:

Don’t count out Highland Park from Dallas. They placed second in 2019 in 5A. Smaller band but big sound. It will be interesting to see how they fare. Competition will be tough…and fun for all to watch!