2021 Grand Nationals

so in a normal year - next week would have been BOA Grand Nats - there were a number of Texas Bands planning for a 2020 trip - Reagan and Vista Ridge to name a few.

So any word on if Reagan or Vista Rudge are making the trek to Indy in 2021? I know that TWHS normally goes during a non-state year like 2021 and there was some talk of CTJ getting into the same routine. I would assume that the normal players like Avon, Carmel will be there and unlike last year we could see Tarpon and Broken Arrow and many others as well. 2021 could be one of the largest and most competitive Grand Nats we have ever seen

It will be interesting to see if the year away will bring out more programs to make the trek - with many shelving their programs for 2020 and doing a smaller program, does that extra time give them a show that they would feel more confident in taking it to Indy. I think the entire 2021 BOA season will be very competitive for that reason. 

Fundraising could also be a major concern, I know a number of programs here that have seen a significant decline in the fundraising and it will be interesting to see if that continues into the 2021.

I welcome others thoughts on the topic

Looking at the GN 2021 thread on hornrank forums, I see James Bowie and Haltom confirmed for 2021. I don't know if that is still their plan but fingers crossed. Wasn't Cedar Park's plan to push back their GN trip to 2021?

I am an optimistic person and hoping that the shows next year (if a season happens) are even more elevated. As some have stated, it may take time for many programs to recover but I'm still confident that a lot of programs will take on the challenge and deliver.

that could be a heck of a Texas line-up if the 2020 planned bands go in 2021 along with those mentioned - it would be great to see these programs all going to GN

• TWHS
  • CTJ
  • Reagan
  • Vista Ridge
  • Bowie
  • Haltom
  • Cedar Park

this could be the largest Texas contingent we have seen - and sure there are others out their that are still deciding that we won't hear about for a few more months

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

That wasn't stopping Vista this year.  The extra week between BOA-SA and GNats makes it much more manageable. 

It does, I agree. Idk, I have mixed emotions about it. A "state winning" UIL show may or may not do well at GN, and the smaller schools like CP, Rouse, and Glen don't have near the fund raising base as Vista or Vandy. A trip to GN is an additional $400,000 to the budget. I think it would be really cool if LISD sent everyone to GN one year. win the whole thing and sweep the classes.

This all could change dramatically if All-Conference State Contest is approved next year. At the UIL Music Committee Meeting in October, tentative scheduling (absolutely not approved yet) was discussed and would put 6A State and Nationals on the same week for 2021. Combine that with programs who may feel extra pressure from their District because they opted out of UIL this year and certain programs may have to choose between one event or the other.

We don’t have a decision on 2021 State for awhile. Superintendents from the even-numbered conferences need to be surveyed before anything moves forward. This will be interesting to watch over the next several months.

I'm assuming Broken Arrow will go. So, along with Avon and Carmel, that's 3 finals spots eaten up. William Mason will probably go, correct? That's probably a 4th spot taken. I suppose the question, then, is if Tarpon Springs is going to go to make up for missing it this year, and whether Blue Springs is going. Because then you've probably got a full half of finals already taken. I'm just wondering the extent to which Texas groups will start bumping each other out of finals. If one of your big goals as a Texas director is to have your group make finals, 2021 may be a more difficult year to accomplish that.

Anyway, I really want Haltom to make finals. They are long overdue for it. Their show last year completely stunned me. They were fantastic.