Dotbook | "Spin Cycle" - The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps (2003), with Michael Gaines (Drill Designer & Visual Coordinator)

Montoya

For almost a year now I've had a lot of fun interviewing designers, educators, & artists for my podcast, Sketchbook Podcast. Throughout that time there have been 40 guest interviews and two additional series; 'Matchbook' with Jen Barton & 'Sound Advice' with Erik Kosman. Over the last two weeks, I debuted two series; 'Musicbook,' which focused on The Cavaliers 2002 production, "Frameworks," with brass composer & arranger Richard Saucedo and 'Storybook,' which focused on The Cavaliers 2004 production, "007," with program coordinator Scott Koter.

Today we continue the '-book' series with 'Dotbook.' My goal with this series is to discuss a show, production, or work and focus on the programming, design, and/or coordination aspect. I would talk with the programmer/coordinator and we could discuss the inspiration, process, edits, cuts, or any other behind the scenes aspects to the show.

The first episode of 'Dotbook' focuses on The Cavaliers 2003 production, "Spin Cycle" and my guest is drill designer and visual coordinator Michael Gaines. For anyone out there wanting a more "inside baseball" look at the creative process behind that 2003 championship-worthy show, as well as some insight into Michael's process, you won't want to miss this!