The Danpodcast - The July 21st Chronicles: Bands Of America

Bands Of America announced its shutdown of the 2020 Fall Regional/Grand National Championships last week. Let’s go over what led to this monumental decision, some fond memories competing at their events, and why the 2021 BOA Season will be the greatest in History.

Way to early 2021 predictions:

GE Scores: go through the roof next year! A whole year to fine tune competitive shows that already have solid foundations will result in some very intriguing depth of concept. Design teams will really get a chance to milk the most out of these shows over the year and I think it will show on the field next year.

Music Scores: get a bump. Students usually get music a few months before marching season, but now imagine having it for a whole year beforehand. I think how directors handle this will be the most interesting. I think we see much more ambitious musical productions next year since students will have a whole year to practice the base production, allowing the marching season to be a place where some very technical new parts and pieces are added (sim to what we typically see throughout a DCI season). Do bands rehearse the show music over the course of this year? or would that be unfair to seniors?

Visual Scores: Might suffer slightly. Yes, I know bands are still attempting some type of show(s) this year, but those won't replace the experience of doing a full 8+ min competitive show, so it's possible visual programs aren't quite as strong next year. 

Of course this is all relative. We likely won't see a literal change in scores, but the overall level of quality relative to past years will probably vary per above. 

Very good insights on this podcast!!!  I had not thought of the hotel logistics you described.  Got me to wondering if all your logic and good points as to why San Antonio hotels are not staffed to handle BOA this year, then how would they be staffed to handle a UIL contest this year either?  Plus the extra bus, parking, and fans in stands concerns you raised.  Makes me think UIL state contests might not happen.

20 hours ago, LHSbandDad said:

Very good insights on this podcast!!!  I had not thought of the hotel logistics you described.  Got me to wondering if all your logic and good points as to why San Antonio hotels are not staffed to handle BOA this year, then how would they be staffed to handle a UIL contest this year either?  Plus the extra bus, parking, and fans in stands concerns you raised.  Makes me think UIL state contests might not happen.

UIL does not have the “business obligation” like BOA does to provide the City of San Antonio with X amount of occupied hotel rooms. Programs are kind of on their own for State Contest.

What will make things interesting is if UIL decides to condense their 6A State Contest to one day instead of Prelims one day and Finals the next. 

Tons of other factors and decisions need to be made well before we can think about talking State Contest. 

3 hours ago, Danpod said:

UIL does not have the “business obligation” like BOA does to provide the City of San Antonio with X amount of occupied hotel rooms. Programs are kind of on their own for State Contest.

What will make things interesting is if UIL decides to condense their 6A State Contest to one day instead of Prelims one day and Finals the next. 

Tons of other factors and decisions need to be made well before we can think about talking State Contest. 

I think it will also be interesting to see how many regions and areas consolidate their contests. How many schools are actually going to compete this year? For most of the "big" schools they cannot even start learning drill until Sept 7th or 8th. At which time the 8 hour rule is now in effect. Is that enough time to learn a 8+ minute show? There are no other contests to go to for a tune up before Region/Area/State, is that going to effect the quality of the product? this is Texas we have the best marching programs in the country arguably. I think for the schools that have not made a decision yet because they are waiting to see how things play out, just the not knowing part of that is driving people crazy.