2020 WGI and TCGC

I thought our varsity guard was scholastic open. I wonder why they moved down a class too. I’ll have to ask.

Probably to be more competitive. The skill level in a guard can vary greatly from year to year, especially if you lose a lot of seniors the year before or in the staff. It's typically a matter of moving to a class that is more of the same skill level so that you can more fairly compete. It's not a step down, but a step to a more appropriate class.

I know it’s nearly two months away (Feb 29 & Mar 1) but I also just HAVE to comment on how quickly the upcoming WGI Austin (CG) event has grown. This year they had to split the contest into two venues, with Scholastic A prelims being held at Tom Glenn HS and all other classes prelims being held at Rouse HS. All finals will be at Rouse btw. So exciting to see this one grow so large so quickly AND to see all four of the Texas World Class guards signed up for it. (CTJ, TWHS, Bowie and Dripping Springs).

Another comment on this one. Last year WGI Austin was not streamed live on FloMarching. This year it is going to be. That tells me that the growth down here is getting SERIOUS! :)

I checked. They were Scholastic A last year.

Now I’m curious if Keller moved up. I’m going to check.

Nope...they are still Scholastic A as well. Go figure.

One day they will...

Can a group be promoted based on their performance through out the season or only by a top 5 finish at championships?

I believe a group can "self-promote" but they are only moved up automatically if they place top 5 at Championships. I'm just going off of memory, but I think Keller got 6th or 7th in class A 2 years ago and opted to stay class A. Last year they competed two groups in class A and both did decently well. I think their guard has gotten smaller this year though from watching their field show.

Keller placed 6th in Dayton during the 2018 season. They were 4th overall in prelims so it must’ve been disappointing to be just outside the top 5 in the end. If I had to guess, they probably would’ve self-promoted (at least I think they should’ve) but that was the last season that the guard instructor at the time was with Keller. Last season was a bit of an interesting one as Keller had 2 guards make finals at both the WGI Austin and Dallas regionals in the Scholastic A class. I’ve never seen two groups from the same school do that before, although I’m sure it’s happened.

I've wanted to get into WGI for a while now, but I could never find all the information I wanted for it. Is there a main website where I can find a lot of info? Also what are the different class distinctions?

There is a website. I also looked up the wgi rule book and have been reading up on that the past few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming TCGC contest at Westwood HS on January 25!  Here's the schedule:

Cadet
Lake Travis MS @ 9:00 AM
Hays Cadets @9:06 AM
Westlake HS Cadet@ 9:12 AM
Cedar Park MS @ 9:18 AM

Novice
Lockhart HS JV @ 9:34 AM
Belton HS C @ 9:41 AM
Cedar Ridge HS JV @ 9:48 AM
Temple Winter Guard @ 9:55 AM
O'Connor HS JV @ 10:02 AM
John B. Alexander HS Avant Guard B @ 10:09 AM
New Braunfels JV @ 10:16 AM

Scholastic Regional A
Navarro Early College HS @ 10:37 AM
Stony Point HS @ 10:44 AM
Round Rock HS JV @ 10:51 AM
LBJ HS @ 10:58 AM
Anderson HS @ 11:05 AM
Santa Fe HS @ 11:12 AM
Madisonville HS @ 11:19 AM
Ronald Reagan HS B @ 11:26 AM
Belton HS B @ 11:33 AM
Rouse Spin Club @ 11:40 AM
Lehman HS JV @ 11:47 AM

Scholastic JV
Hendrickson HS JV @ 12:08 PM
Pflugerville JV @ 12:15 PM
Leander HS JV @ 12:22 PM
Westwood HS JV@ 12:29 PM
McNeil HS JV @ 12:36 PM
Vista Ridge HS JV @ 12:43 PM

Scholastic AA
San Marcos HS @ 1:50 PM
Shoemaker HS @ 1:57 PM
Marble Falls HS @ 2:04 PM
Harker Heights HS @ 2:11 PM
John B. Alexander HS Avant Guard @ 2:18 PM
Lockhart HS @ 2:25 PM
John B. Connally HS @ 2:32 PM
Ronald Reagan HS A @ 2:39 PM
Hutto HS @ 2:46 PM
Westlake JV @ 2:53 PM
Vista Ridge HS @ 3:00 PM

Scholastic A
Jack C. Hays HS @ 3:21 PM
O'Connor HS @ 3:29 PM
Akins HS @ 3:37 PM
Belton HS @ 3:45 PM

Scholastic National A
Round Rock HS @ 4:03 PM
Lake Travis HS @ 4:11 PM
Cedar Ridge HS @ 4:19 PM
Lampasas HS @ 4:27 PM
Pflugerville HS @ 4:35 PM
New Braunfels HS @ 4:43 PM
Westwood HS @ 4:51 PM
Rouse HS @ 4:59 PM
Lehman HS @ 5:07 PM
Westlake HS @ 5:15 PM
Cedar Park HS @ 5:23 PM

Independent A
Glenn HS @ 5:31 PM

Scholastic Open
Ronald Reagan HS @ 6:39 PM
Leander HS @ 6:48 PM
McNeil HS @ 6:57 PM

Independent Open
Origins @ 7:06 PM

Scholastic World
James Bowie HS @ 7:25 PM

Interesting results from the Westwood contest. Way to go!

All the scores seemed correct except for Cedar Park coming out ahead of Westlake by over a point. I would have had it the other way and having Westlake ahead by maybe .250. I felt overall Westlake's performance was just a little better. However, I liked them both and am looking forward to seeing the shows at the end of the season and what they do with them. Good shows for both! I'm also looking forward to seeing Cedar Ridge's show once it it cleaned up. 

All the scores seemed correct except for Cedar Park coming out ahead of Westlake by over a point. I would have had it the other way and having Westlake ahead by maybe .250. I felt overall Westlake's performance was just a little better. However, I liked them both and am looking forward to seeing the shows at the end of the season and what they do with them. Good shows for both! I'm also looking forward to seeing Cedar Ridge's show once it it cleaned up.

It was awesome to finally meet you yesterday!

I spent yesterday with our TWHS guards at the TCGC competition. In the past I’ve only showed up and watched my daughter in the cadet/novice category (as she was in jr high) and stayed to watch the few categories after them until the retreat they participated in.

My take away from spending the day with the Highschool guards-

There’s so much talent out there! I wasn’t able to watch as many as I wanted to- later this year I’ll have a chance to watch more when I’m not chaperoning.

The guard community is amazing! I was wondering how on earth they handle their equipment, floor, AND significant size props... and the chaperones that have been doing this told me the other guards all help each other. One of our guards went and helped another guard with their stuff, and then they came and helped our guard with their props and floor. Such great support and help.

I got emotional watching the programs yesterday. I am awed by the opportunity these kids have to perform and learn and push themselves- and walking past and listening to the coaches as they gave their pep talks to the kids and helped them focus to do their best... was inspiring.

I think our program is about to make another jump in its development. The feeder jr high is now in its second year of holding a color guard gym class and now has both a jv and varsity jr Highschool cadet teams. They’ll be alternating competitions they perform in. They took 1st place in their division yesterday. In a few years the Highschool girls will have 2 years of solid skills learned before they even come to Highschool. This year the freshmen had one year of being in a color guard class instead of it just being an after school practice- and we are already seeing the overall skill levels of the guard increase. Last year the JV guard made state in Scholastic A... they are hoping they can again this year and started the year on a good note with a 3rd place finish at yesterday’s competition.

Here are the Klein Collins results from yesterday

Cadet

George Ranch HS Cadets37.330 (4)

George Ranch JV 47.690 (3)

Friendswood Cadets 53.020 (2)

McCullough JH 54.420 (1)

Novice

Splendora HS 49.000 (6)

Mayde Creek Winter Guard 52.350 (5)

Tomball HS JV 42.490 (7)

Hightower HS 52.590 (4)

Shepherd HS Royal Guard 55.090 (3)

Lamar Consolidated JV 38.010 (12)

Porter High School Ascension Visual 41.290 (9)

Nimitz HS 38.500 (11)

Stephen F. Austin 64.500 (1)

New Caney HS 41.810 (8)

Bridgeland HS JVB 57.120 (2)

Terry HS JV 40.450 (10)

Scholastic Regional A

Goose Creek Memorial HS 55.220 (6)

Caney Creek High School 48.710 (8)

Deer Park HS 64.810 (1)

Oak Ridge High School 60.680 (2)

Conroe HS 51.400 (7)

Jersey Village JV 58.960 (4)

Langham Creek HS JV 58.410 (5)

James E. Taylor HS JV 60.320 (3)

Klein HS JV 47.900 (9)

Angleton HS Winterguard 35.460 (10)

Eisenhower HS 62.140 (2)

Tomball Memorial HS JV 62.530 (1)

Lamar Consolidated HS 57.430 (4)

Aldine HS 54.710 (5)

Cypress Ranch HS JV 49.780 (7)

Magnolia HS 49.860 (6)

Cypress Park 47.690 (9)

Manvel HS JV 48.450 (8)

Rudder HS 58.700 (3)

Scholastic JV

Waller JV 33.700 (5)

Clear Creek JV 42.790 (4)

Cy-Fair HS JV 50.180 (3)

Cypress Falls JV 53.850 (2)

Klein Collins JV 62.670 (1)

Scholastic AA

Waller HS 36.920 (6)

Summer Creek HS 42.180 (4)

Humble HS 38.270 (5)

Jersey Village HS 49.290 (1)

Manvel HS 44.980 (3)

Kingwood Park HS 45.730 (2)

Scholastic A

Pasadena Memorial HS 50.960 (8)

George Ranch Varsity 47.750 (11)

Tomball HS 55.850 (6)

Tomball Memorial HS 61.820 (1)

Lumberton HS 59.950 (2)

Clear Creek High School 49.580 (10)

Cypress Ranch HS 57.630 (4)

Cy-Fair HS 53.380 (7)

Terry HS 49.640 (9)

The Woodlands HS JV 59.090 (3)

Klein HS 56.820 (5)

Scholastic National A

Langham Creek HS 55.840 (6)

Cypress Falls HS 58.340 (5)

James E Taylor HS 63.690 (2)

Klein Collins HS 63.430 (3)

Bryan HS 65.880 (1)

Westfield HS 61.230 (4)

Scholastic Open

Klein Oak HS 56.300 (1)

Independent Open

Spirit Independent 56.900 (3)

Black Gold Open 62.500 (1)

Undaunted 60.200 (2)

Scholastic World

The Woodlands HS 61.200 (1)

Independent World

Black Gold World 64.600 (1)

I spent yesterday with our TWHS guards at the TCGC competition. In the past I’ve only showed up and watched my daughter in the cadet/novice category (as she was in jr high) and stayed to watch the few categories after them until the retreat they participated in.

My take away from spending the day with the Highschool guards-

There’s so much talent out there! I wasn’t able to watch as many as I wanted to- later this year I’ll have a chance to watch more when I’m not chaperoning.

The guard community is amazing! I was wondering how on earth they handle their equipment, floor, AND significant size props... and the chaperones that have been doing this told me the other guards all help each other. One of our guards went and helped another guard with their stuff, and then they came and helped our guard with their props and floor. Such great support and help.

I got emotional watching the programs yesterday. I am awed by the opportunity these kids have to perform and learn and push themselves- and walking past and listening to the coaches as they gave their pep talks to the kids and helped them focus to do their best... was inspiring.

I think our program is about to make another jump in its development. The feeder jr high is now in its second year of holding a color guard gym class and now has both a jv and varsity jr Highschool cadet teams. They’ll be alternating competitions they perform in. They took 1st place in their division yesterday. In a few years the Highschool girls will have 2 years of solid skills learned before they even come to Highschool. This year the freshmen had one year of being in a color guard class instead of it just being an after school practice- and we are already seeing the overall skill levels of the guard increase. Last year the JV guard made state in Scholastic A... they are hoping they can again this year and started the year on a good note with a 3rd place finish at yesterday’s competition.

That’s awesome that TWHS area has that kind of interest and talent. Oh how I wish Leander could start training these kiddos in middle school! It absolutely must make a massive difference in the high school guards when these kiddos come in with some experience already under their belt. California does it too and they even have elementary school guards. By the time they get to high school, they are insanely talented!

That’s awesome that TWHS area has that kind of interest and talent. Oh how I wish Leander could start training these kiddos in middle school! It absolutely must make a massive difference in the high school guards when these kiddos come in with some experience already under their belt. California does it too and they even have elementary school guards. By the time they get to high school, they are insanely talented!

Cedar Park has started with the Cedar Park Middle School. It is only a matter of time until all of the middle schools follow suit.

Cedar Park has started with the Cedar Park Middle School. It is only a matter of time until all of the middle schools follow suit.

Cedar Park has been doing this for many years, but most schools are not going to do this as there is not staff to adequately teach the high schools and middle schools. Also, most color guard staff are not district employees and are paid by the band boosters and adding middle school staff is an expense that is harder to justify. It is actually very rare to have programs in the middle schools. It's great when they do, though, as it really helps build depth in the guard program.