2020 Season: Bands to look out for

HP doesn't do BoA. What competitions do they attend?

Highland Park won the Midlothian Marching Contest and the Mansfield Preview Marching Contest. They also finished first in the AREA C Prelims and won the Area C 5A Marching Championships. Do not expect them to move up to 6A. Highland Park always tends to come in under the 5A enrollment limit. They have a very well funded Band Program. 

Highland Park is a very small, yet very well playing band. It takes a lot to challenge Cedar Park for the 5A title, they did a very good job of that. The future holds a lot in store for them, let’s see how they play alongside 6A. I hope they keep a similarly designed show than the one this year, this years show was fun and entertaining and yet it kept with a UIL style. Their music book was challenging yet fun and was carried by the excellent performance the band gave with it. Same with the visuals and minimalistic props. Maybe I was just a big fan of the show design overall, but a show design like that can go along way in UIL and the overall good enjoyable experience the students have performing it. It’s a great balance I think they’ve hit with this show. Let’s see if they can carry it to next year.

The fact they stood their ground against bands much larger than them in 5A goes to show, they’re not letting size stop them. Whatever numbers they have they’ll give a good show with them that’s for sure. I wouldn’t put them out of area finals if they do make the jump to 6A. It was a big breakout for them this year for them and while some bands do sadly struggle with keeping the momentum of a breakout year going i really hope Highland Park doesn’t.

Their small size and determination makes them a unique and fun group to watch they add more depth to the DFW area than it already has. Let’s hope the best for Highland Park next year, a new year and they must keep the momentum going. I think they can pull it off but we’ll have to wait and see.

Outstanding show last year. Here it is if any of you missed it. The sound they pack despite being so small, it’s something you have to appreciate in a program like this:

Highland Parks 2019 Production: PLAY!

You know I got to give some credit to Spring HS. They were the best they have been in years this season, and while they likely arent BOA Houston finalist quality as of rn, this years showing was a sign of good things in their future.

Agreed. I’d add Dawson to that list.

Agreed. One thing Dawson needs is more consistent show designs, which can be very hard. Some years (2011, 2013, 2016, 2019), they have had some very very good shows that sell very well, and on other years, they have shows that fall a little flat. They are always stellar performers nevertheless. Cant wait to see what comes of them!

Glenn in Leander is looking pretty good as of right now, as well as Connally in Pflugerville. Also, holy cow McCallum came in strong this year.

Connally came back very strong this year!

I think the 3 NEISD Bands that routinely do BOA competitions will be looking for a big year in 2020

Reagan - big year with their first BOA SA Gold and rumored to possibly make a run at Grand Nats next year

CTJ - always a fun program that does their style of show even during a state year - after 8 top 5 and 2 golds at BOA SA - I see them coming back strong in 2020 and it will be interesting to see what they come up with - something different I am sure.

Churchill - Bronze medal in McAllen tied for 2nd and only a point away from gold - did not compete in Austin or SA as they normally do - I believe their director is in her first year there - will be interesting to see them come back - they had a long history of always making finals in BOA regionals 

the other 4 schools in the district do not do much more than BOA-SA because it is local.

Well they are going to Grand Nats so Cedar Park is probably planning it well in advance and I’m sure it will be far more of a BOA type show.

Yes, it is in planning and development. Kids and boosters do not know at this time. But, this is going to be a full blown BOA show and my guess is it will be of similar style to their last Grand Nats show.

Yes, it is in planning and development. Kids and boosters do not know at this time. But, this is going to be a full blown BOA show and my guess is it will be of similar style to their last Grand Nats show.

I'm super excited to see what they come up with. Can't say who it is yet, but CP will have a new drill writer and new uniforms next year. Despite BOA SA results cp has had a very smooth transition of staff over the last couple years. 2020 will be the first year of a new cp. Fitting that the change will happen at the start of the next decade.