2020 6A State

Another big change is that UIL is now taking 14 bands to finals if there are more than 40 bands in prelims, which there will be.

There are 8 bands that have been a finalist at both UIL State and the BOA Super Regional every time for the past 4 years and should be considered locks:

FloMo

Hebron

Marcus

Vandegrift

Leander

Reagan

Keller

The Woodlands

Leander is now 5A, so take them off the list (and add them to the likely 5A state champion list!)

CTJ didn't attend in 2016 due to Grand Nats, but is obviously a lock as well.

Vista Ridge didn't advance in 2016, but as the defending champion is clearly a lock.

That's 9 bands that barring a disaster will be performing the 2nd day.

The only times that LD Bell hasn't been a finalist in recent memory were the two years that they didn't advance to state at all.  That is unlikely to happen again, so count them in.  

That leaves 4 spots for a huge number of great bands.

Coppell, Round Rock, and Cedar Ridge have either been in finals or just missing out the past several times, and Waxahachie has made the jump to 6A smoothly.

The bubble outside of this is big.  Lots of great bands!

Area D will be a big one to watch, as of now with all the drops I have only have 5 bands projected to qualify for state (barring potential boundary changes). We have seen the big 3 RR schools (Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, and Westwood) all make state at least once in the past 3 cycles (with CR being the only one to do it all 3 times) and this past BOA SA with them all finishing within 0.375 points inside of each other, anything could happen. I also could see any of these groups in finals if they qualify for state. Reagan and CTJ certainly won't be missing state anytime soon and I feel similarly about Bowie, though not quite as strongly. Churchill is another group that could be thrown into the mix with with RR schools, but they haven't qualified for state since 2010(?) and their staff change seems to have set them back a little.

Edit: I forgot to mention Churchill at first

Not to mention Hendrickson moving to 5A and Hutto moving to 6A ensures that they will still take 6 bands from area to state. I feel like ctj, reagan, rr, bowie and cr are locks and hendy moving down almost ensures that Westwood won't see a lot of competition like they have in years past. Keep in mind too that when we edged out round rock in 2014, we were only one out of finals and we are SO MUCH BETTER than we were four years ago. also the addition of two more finalists might mean we'll see all six bands from area h in finals, with bowie and westwood seeing massive improvements. couldn't be more excited for next year!

Not to mention Hendrickson moving to 5A and Hutto moving to 6A ensures that they will still take 6 bands from area to state. I feel like ctj, reagan, rr, bowie and cr are locks and hendy moving down almost ensures that Westwood won't see a lot of competition like they have in years past. Keep in mind too that when we edged out round rock in 2014, we were only one out of finals and we are SO MUCH BETTER than we were four years ago. also the addition of two more finalists might mean we'll see all six bands from area h in finals, with bowie and westwood seeing massive improvements. couldn't be more excited for next year!

Lets just hope theres still at least 30 bands that go to area D for 6 state spots :/

• 3 weeks later...

Yall definitely were great this year! My choice for the upset band of 2020. Loved yall at Houston finals. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Have not been on in awhile, but I heard a rumor about a shocking change. I heard that in Area C (I think), instead of taking the top 4 to state, they are only taking the top 2. The top 4 typically always had Flower Mound, Hebron and Marcus and sometimes Keller. But if they are only taking two, it is possible that a LISD Powerhouse Band may not be at state this year...

32 minutes ago, SomeBandNerd said:

Have not been on in awhile, but I heard a rumor about a shocking change. I heard that in Area C (I think), instead of taking the top 4 to state, they are only taking the top 2. The top 4 typically always had Flower Mound, Hebron and Marcus and sometimes Keller. But if they are only taking two, it is possible that a LISD Powerhouse Band may not be at state this year...

Flower Mound, Hebron, and Marcus are in Area C but Keller is in Area B. Keller isn't competing in any contest this season anyways. Curious to see who is competing.

1 hour ago, SomeBandNerd said:

Oh boy, it's been awhile since I've been on here. Good to be back!

Anyways, I don't think this will be the case. Looking at the 6A Area C performance order (which was published before any Region contests took place), there are 17 bands that intend to participate in the Area contest. The UIL rule for advancing to state basically says that for every 5 bands at Area, 1 advances to state, with a minimum of 2 advancing. This means that Area C will advance 3 bands assuming all 17 bands advance to the Area contest. Of those 17, the five 6A bands in Regions 2 and 25 performed Saturday and all earned 1st divisions and will advance. The remaining 12 (11 in Region 3 and 1 in Region 21) have their Region contests tomorrow (Nov. 18th), but I find it unlikely that any 3 of those would fail to advance to Area and thus have only 14 bands at Area and causing only two would advance.

Bottom line: we will most likely see all three Lewisville ISD powerhouses in San Antonio. Sorry if that's a lot of information, we're not doing UIL so I've got way too much time on my hands.

6 minutes ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

Oh boy, it's been awhile since I've been on here. Good to be back!

Anyways, I don't think this will be the case. Looking at the 6A Area C performance order (which was published before any Region contests took place), there are 17 bands that intend to participate in the Area contest. The UIL rule for advancing to state basically says that for every 5 bands at Area, 1 advances to state, with a minimum of 2 advancing. This means that Area C will advance 3 bands assuming all 17 bands advance to the Area contest. Of those 17, the five 6A bands in Regions 2 and 25 performed Saturday and all earned 1st divisions and will advance. The remaining 12 (11 in Region 3 and 1 in Region 21) have their Region contests tomorrow (Nov. 18th), but I find it unlikely that any 3 of those would fail to advance to Area and thus have only 14 bands at Area and causing only two would advance.

Bottom line: we will most likely see all three Lewisville ISD powerhouses in San Antonio. Sorry if that's a lot of information, we're not doing UIL so I've got way too much time on my hands.

The amount of State Qualifiers from an Area depends on how many programs qualify for Area and not how many actually attend the contest. 

Plano, Plano East, Plano West and Allen got 1s at Region. Although they are choosing not to advance, their qualification still counts. Assuming the 17 who intend to do Area all get 1s, you add those to the four listed above who qualified, that makes 21 Area qualifiers. This translates to 4 bands advancing from Area C to State.

17 hours ago, Danpod said:

The amount of State Qualifiers from an Area depends on how many programs qualify for Area and not how many actually attend the contest. 

Plano, Plano East, Plano West and Allen got 1s at Region. Although they are choosing not to advance, their qualification still counts. Assuming the 17 who intend to do Area all get 1s, you add those to the four listed above who qualified, that makes 21 Area qualifiers. This translates to 4 bands advancing from Area C to State.

Thanks for the correction! Either way, Flower Mound, Hebron, and Marcus can all still advance to state.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, itsjaredh97 said:

I would not count on any locks until we know for sure who will be attending. rumor mill here in San Antonio is that Reagan performed at Region but declined to advance to Area. the calendar does not show area or state competition 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:11 PM, bancl said:

Another big change is that UIL is now taking 14 bands to finals if there are more than 40 bands in prelims, which there will be.

There are 8 bands that have been a finalist at both UIL State and the BOA Super Regional every time for the past 4 years and should be considered locks:

FloMo

Hebron

Marcus

Vandegrift

Leander

Reagan

Keller

The Woodlands

Leander is now 5A, so take them off the list (and add them to the likely 5A state champion list!)

CTJ didn't attend in 2016 due to Grand Nats, but is obviously a lock as well.

Vista Ridge didn't advance in 2016, but as the defending champion is clearly a lock.

That's 9 bands that barring a disaster will be performing the 2nd day.

The only times that LD Bell hasn't been a finalist in recent memory were the two years that they didn't advance to state at all.  That is unlikely to happen again, so count them in.  

That leaves 4 spots for a huge number of great bands.

Coppell, Round Rock, and Cedar Ridge have either been in finals or just missing out the past several times, and Waxahachie has made the jump to 6A smoothly.

The bubble outside of this is big.  Lots of great bands!

wait is Vandergrift performing this year for UIL?

from what I have heard to date - and this is subject to change, I would count these as locks (in no particular order)

• FloMo
  • Marcus
  • Hebron
  • CTJ
  • Coppell
  • TWHS

I am not aware of any of the Austin 6A big hitters that are going to UIL - 

could open up spots for some new programs - in our school district, only 1 of the 7 high schools is doing UIL beyond Region - and some did not even do region.

3 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

from what I have heard to date - and this is subject to change, I would count these as locks (in no particular order)

• FloMo
  • Marcus
  • Hebron
  • CTJ
  • Coppell
  • TWHS

I am not aware of any of the Austin 6A big hitters that are going to UIL - 

could open up spots for some new programs - in our school district, only 1 of the 7 high schools is doing UIL beyond Region - and some did not even do region.

Yeah I can defiantly see those bands being locks for the 6A contest. Would be cool to see some new bands advance to the State contest as well! Give those bands the chance to march with the top schools in Texas!

15 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Yeah I can defiantly see those bands being locks for the 6A contest. Would be cool to see some new bands advance to the State contest as well! Give those bands the chance to march with the top schools in Texas!

there should be some new schools at State - after all it is 2*2*