2020 6A State

2 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Area I is sending four bands to the State Contest! Seven Lakes, Bridgeland, Cypress Woods, and Tompkins. Congrats to those bands!

Super excited for Cy-Woods! First time going to state since doing so in 2010. Also nice to see them come so far after a heartbreaker in 2018. 212!

2 minutes ago, adammac46 said:

Super excited for Cy-Woods! First time going to state since doing so in 2010. Also nice to see them come so far after a heartbreaker in 2018. 212!

Yeah, their show this year is great and I can't wait to see how they do at the State Contest! Also I never noticed until you mentioned it, but that is awesome to see that they were able to come back after loosing to a tiebreaker to get into finals. Congrats to them on their advancement!!!

Twhs will do a one day trip.  Those whose parents can drive them out will go with parents. Busses will be taken, with smaller numbers of students and masks worn for those that need busses.  For area we averaged 10 kids per school bus.  8 busses- the rest went with parents.  

Honestly the fact that it’s the first day of finals and will cause them to have to take them late - and study and take finals the next day- might be causing more headaches for some parents/kids than the transportation to get out there.  

Wow, yeah I was expecting a medal from marcus after their area results but going first is going to be rough for them.

My top 10:

1. CTJ

2. Flower Mound

3. Hebron

4. The Woodlands

5. Marcus

6. Waxahachie

7. Pearland

8. Seven Lakes

9. Coppell

10. Oak Ridge

Lake Travis, Wylie, and Bridgeland could also be up there. 

CTJ has the favorable time slot and doesnt have to worry about travel, so I feel they are the favorites in this one.

33 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Wow, yeah I was expecting a medal from marcus after their area results but going first is going to be rough for them.

My top 10:

1. CTJ

2. Flower Mound

3. Hebron

4. The Woodlands

5. Marcus

6. Waxahachie

7. Pearland

8. Seven Lakes

9. Coppell

10. Oak Ridge

CTJ has the favorable time slot and doesnt have to worry about travel, so I feel they are the favorites in this one.

I would agree, rough time slot for Marcus. with Covid concerns, I wonder if they will be able to come the day before or if they will have a 5 hours bus ride at o dark thirty?

CTJ with late spot and being at home should be a real advantage, but I still think that the top 5 you have listed are the front runners but the placing could be very fluid with  no finals - so looking forward to this event - going to camp out at the dome for the entire day and get my band on

Maybe not the right thread for this but I just have to say, I was REALLY impressed with area I. I was there all day and really anyone through about 1th place could have advanced. I was in particularly proud of Cy Park and Cy Lakes who likely put out the best performance in school history. Very very very great stuff.

21 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

My top 10:

1. CTJ

2. Flower Mound

3. Hebron

4. The Woodlands

5. Marcus

6. Waxahachie

7. Pearland

8. Seven Lakes

9. Coppell

10. Oak Ridge

I definitely see Dawson and Bridgeland being in the Top 10. Oak Ridge and Coppell I see being around 12-13th Place.

1 hour ago, CCisd Band Parent said:

I definitely see Dawson and Bridgeland being in the Top 10. Oak Ridge and Coppell I see being around 12-13th Place.

How is Oak Ridge this year? I haven't seen any bands outside of area I

I thought oak ridge was great- but looks significantly smaller than they’ve been in the past few years.   Since I haven’t seen anyone other than our area I can’t even begin to guess where they might rank.  They still have a great sound and their color guard complements the show a lot.  

My predictions - I still stick by my early comments that the medal race is across CTJ, Woodlands and the Lewisville Trio. - my thoughts

I have looked through the UIL scoring from the weekend - while I understand that the scores are from many different judges - it does give us a place to start in a year that we have not seen much from any of these programs other than some football games

based on overall UIL scoring - different judges 

• CTJ
  • Waxahachie
  • Marcus
  • FlowerMound
  • Lake Travis

Based on overall scoring across 5 rubrics - again - different judges 

• CTJ
  • Waxahachie
  • TWHS
  • Pearland
  • Lake Travis

these are just my thoughts based on all of that mixed with the performance times

1. CTJ - Home field with a late performance - most UIL centric show I have ever seen from this program and it is clean
  2. FlowerMound - perform later (right before CTJ) - 2-3-2-2-2 on Saturday in the most difficult Area event
  3. Marcus - early performance with a 5+ hours bus ride and no finals may impact them
  4. TWHS - another great show for a program that has been hard at it for months 
  5. Hebron - 1-2-3-3-3 at Area and they also have an early performance time with no finals - that could hurt them

sleepers - Pearland and Waxahachie could sneak up on any of the top 5 - Pearland after CTJ - second to the end

I know that there is no rhyme or reason to my predictions - just my thoughts - another week to clean - let's do this

21 minutes ago, Bandmomx4 said:

I thought oak ridge was great- but looks significantly smaller than they’ve been in the past few years.   Since I haven’t seen anyone other than our area I can’t even begin to guess where they might rank.  They still have a great sound and their color guard complements the show a lot.  

Even smaller than last year?

1. Marcus

2. Flower Mound

3. CTJ

4. The Woodlands

5. Hebron

6. Waxahachie

7. Seven Lakes

8. Coppell

9. Pearland

10. Oak Ridge

11. Lake Travis

12. Cy Woods

13. Wylie

14. Bridgeland

15. Dawson

16. Tompkins

17. Hays

18. Del Rio

19. Harlingen

20. Harlingen South

"Marcus is still Marcus" - Daniel "Danpod" Valdez

They went on first on Day 2 of San Antonio last year and won the music caption, I know this is UIL but I think its more suited for Marcus' style

7 minutes ago, Bandmomx4 said:

No kidding!  Our band parent text thread is blowing up with people trying to match up and get tickets...  those that bought the “pods” and those that couldn’t get them.  ?

many of the tickets offered are not event in an area that is in the front half to see the band - they have capped at 17% capacity - about 11,000 people. I needed 3 tickets but had to buy a pod of 6 - don't get me started on the $43 in additional fees from ticket master

3 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

many of the tickets offered are not event in an area that is in the front half to see the band - they have capped at 17% capacity - about 11,000 people. I needed 3 tickets but had to buy a pod of 6 - don't get me started on the $43 in additional fees from ticket master

Yea, mine are horrible seats. I’m unfortunately going to have to depend on the big screens- daughter is a senior so I wasn’t missing this!