2020 6A State

1 hour ago, banddad84 said:

in a year that has been 6 kinds of crazy - it is great to finally see something that resembles normal.

This weekend is the UIL Area events across the state. As Dan Sanchez noted about an hour ago on the live blog, there will be bloggers at most of the Area events that will be blogging on the TXBands from Area B, C, D, F, H, and I - as well as input from the normal TXBands team - the 2020 return of the Daniels. 

for those that are planning to attend the UIL state - the line up will be announced by 3pm on Sunday December 6th. Tickets for State will go on sale through ticket master on Monday December 7th. Tickets are General Admission and $20.00 per person for that Class (2/4/6/) 

Parking at the Alamo Dome is $15 per car (CASH) 

I understand that the TXBands team will be onsite for the State event. I also understand that MFA/BOA is working on content to interject into the live stream between performances. Great to see MFA and UIL working together on this project. if you are not able to attend the BOX5-TV will be well worth the $12 per class cost to watch from the safety of your home or office.

Looks like there will be 19 bands set to perform at 6A state - in a finals only - one and done event. so we will definitely have some new programs at state that we did not see in 2018 - some for the first time.

hope you are all staying safe and have a chance to enjoy the upcoming UIL events in this strange and difficult year. 

If fans are allowed in and I can score a 6A ticket next Monday, I will definitely be in attendance!

1 hour ago, banddad84 said:

This weekend is the UIL Area events across the state. As Dan Sanchez noted about an hour ago on the live blog, there will be bloggers at most of the Area events that will be blogging on the TXBands from Area B, C, D, F, H, and I - as well as input from the normal TXBands team - the 2020 return of the Daniels. 

Does anyone know if the Area contests (specifically B and C) are open to the public? Reading the Area C website it sounds like that's the case there, especially if the TXBands team will be there, but I want to make sure before trying to go.

37 minutes ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

Does anyone know if the Area contests (specifically B and C) are open to the public? Reading the Area C website it sounds like that's the case there, especially if the TXBands team will be there, but I want to make sure before trying to go.

my understanding is that they are open to the public - tickets are $5.00 each - some may be clearing the stands between classes for cleaning and decontamination - the blog team at each site are educators/alumni that will blog onsite. the TXBands team will be commenting from a separate location - as they usually do not do UIL area as it is in so many sites and with a full schedule in a normal year it would be difficult to manage 9 sites. this year with reduced participants and timing,  it is more manageable. Example - 6A in area D runs from 9:30am to 11:50am - 6A Area G is 12:40 to 2:20pm - 6A Area B is 2:00pm to 3:25PM - get to see the blog for 6A sites from across the state

7 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

If fans are allowed in and I can score a 6A ticket next Monday, I will definitely be in attendance!

Fans are allowed - socially distanced and masks are required the entire time. Box Office will open 75 minutes prior to first band and doors will open 45 minutes prior to first performance to avoid congregating at the entry points. there is a extended performance time to allow for each band and the crew/chaperones to clear the field between performances.  

Hope to see you there - look for my CTJ - BandDad84 mask

Ooh!  There is a better lineup than I expected.  It will be interesting to see if we have any major surprises this year since things are obviously going to be very different.  It might cause some of the more competitive areas (like area I) to be different than we think.  Also I have no idea what to expect for the 4th spot in area C. 

On 12/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, banddad84 said:

Fans are allowed - socially distanced and masks are required the entire time. Box Office will open 75 minutes prior to first band and doors will open 45 minutes prior to first performance to avoid congregating at the entry points. there is a extended performance time to allow for each band and the crew/chaperones to clear the field between performances.  

Hope to see you there - look for my CTJ - BandDad84 mask

Will do!

so it is 6A Area day - by 3pm on Sunday, we will know the 19 programs that will advance to 6A UIL State in the AlamoDome on Dec 15th

here is my uneducated stab at the programs that will advance to 6A UIL State by area - asterisks notes projected Area Champion 

• Area A
    • None
  • Area B 
    • Coppell*
    • Waxahachie
  • Area C
    • Hebron*
    • Marcus 
    • FlowerMound
    • Rockwall
  • Area D
    • Claudia Taylor Johnson*
    • Jack C Hays
  • Area E
    • Pearland*
    • Dawson
  • Area F
    • TWHS*
    • Oak Ridge
  • Area G
    • Harlingen - advanced from region - no Area
    • Harlingen West - advanced from region - no Area
  • Area H
    • Lake Travis*
    • Del Rio
  • Area I
    • 7 Lakes*
    • Cy - Ranch
    • Cy - Falls

If you don't get a chance to get to an area event, be sure to check out the TXBands.com for the live Blog - there will be bloggers at all 6A area events today

stay safe and lets do this 

9 hours ago, banddad84 said:

so it is 6A Area day - by 3pm on Sunday, we will know the 19 programs that will advance to 6A UIL State in the AlamoDome on Dec 15th

here is my uneducated stab at the programs that will advance to 6A UIL State by area - asterisks notes projected Area Champion 

• Area A
    • None
  • Area B 
    • Coppell*
    • Waxahachie
  • Area C
    • Hebron*
    • Marcus 
    • FlowerMound
    • Rockwall
  • Area D
    • Claudia Taylor Johnson*
    • Jack C Hays
  • Area E
    • Pearland*
    • Dawson
  • Area F
    • TWHS*
    • Oak Ridge
  • Area G
    • Harlingen - advanced from region - no Area
    • Harlingen West - advanced from region - no Area
  • Area H
    • Lake Travis*
    • Del Rio
  • Area I
    • 7 Lakes*
    • Cy - Ranch
    • Cy - Falls

If you don't get a chance to get to an area event, be sure to check out the TXBands.com for the live Blog - there will be bloggers at all 6A area events today

stay safe and lets do this 

Congrats to  Area D advancements

Claudia Taylor Johnson - Area D Champion

Jack C Hays - Advance to State

Looking forward to whom else will advance

Just watched Hebron at Area C. Several holes, but WOW do they still sound great. Huge sound, amazing technical features and great ensemble blend. No big props, but still a substantial amount of complex choreography considering there’s no GE caption to worry about this year. Shorter than last years show, but I wouldn’t expect any band to go longer than the 8 minutes this year. Some cleaning to be done before state, but they’re still the Hebron we all know and love. Very good chance they win tonight.

I have a question anyone can answer

How will the bands attending state work logistically? I don't know how it is across the state, but about 90% of my band opted out of taking buses to football games and chose to drive there/get dropped off. So will the students drive down in one giant herd or will they take a bus and will they stay overnight at san antonio? Just curious.

13 minutes ago, skittles132 said:

I have a question anyone can answer

How will the bands attending state work logistically? I don't know how it is across the state, but about 90% of my band opted out of taking buses to football games and chose to drive there/get dropped off. So will the students drive down in one giant herd or will they take a bus and will they stay overnight at san antonio? Just curious.

I can only answer for my band--but buses for us were opt in only. Many students are driven by their parents (even to San Antonio, 5-6 hours one-way) but for those on buses, there is a very strict seating protocol of maybe 1/4 the students on them, fully masked. We will be driving there and back. It'll be a very long day but it'll be worth it.