2020 6A State

53 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

You missed my point.  If there are no Finals, how can we have new bands advance to Finals???

my thoughts are not that there will be no finals - rather with at least 16 of the 32 bands that made 6A finals in 2018 will not compete. both at Area and state it is not that there will be no finals - but rather that there will be no prelims. it is one and done. with so many programs that routinely advance to state not attending it will open up more spots for programs that do not usually advance - as it is currently projected that the State competition will include 18-20 programs - that will include between 2-4 programs that did not advance last year.

just my thoughts

26 minutes ago, Danpod said:

As far as I know, UIL will hand out a Finalist Trophy at Area and State to those programs who would have qualified if a Finals contest was being held.

These distinctions will be officially recognized.

that is great to hear - though many will call this an asterisks year - I disagree - do LeBron and the Lakers have an asterisks next to their NBA trophy this year? 

30 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I didn't even realize that they were still holding a state competition this year!  After Keller cancelled their season, I just decided to avoid everything relating to marching band to shield from the sadness of not getting to see a great season.  Maybe I will tune in for state.  When is it?

Area competitions are scheduled for Dec 5th, 2020

State Schedule in the Alamo dome is as follows

Monday, December 14: 2A Contest (Approximately 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM)

Monday, December 14: 4A Contest (Approximately 3:30 PM - 10:00 PM)

Tuesday, December 15: 6A Contest (Approximately 12:00 PM - 6:30 PM)

Performance schedules will be posted on Sunday, December 6th by 3:00 PM.

BOX5-TV will have the live stream for UIL State - $12.00 for each class

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

There would definitely be an asterisk if half of the teams that were in last year's playoffs didn't play the season.

When I was in the military - we called it - "embracing the suck" - or you accept what you have and make the best of it.

CTJ choose to "embrace the asterisks" - they just move on with what they have.

they "know who they are" and moved forward. though we don't know what the next 2 weeks will bring for us or any other program

keep in mind, that as always, I do not speak for the program - just a band parent that supports this program and the direction that they have chosen in this very difficult year

I'm not judging anyone and I wish nothing but the best for all of the kids competing this year. I'm sure they will make some great memories in a year that is like no other.

I'm pretty sure the UIL doesn't put asterisks on its record books.  But if it did, there is a ton of stuff happening this year that would be worthy of an asterisk. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Culper said:

I'm not judging anyone and I wish nothing but the best for all of the kids competing this year. I'm sure they will make some great memories in a year that is like no other.

I'm pretty sure the UIL doesn't put asterisks on its record books.  But if it did, there is a ton of stuff happening this year that would be worthy of an asterisk. 

I think they put a note by the year. Like one year they had to cancel finals at State due to Weather, and so they put a note by that year.

6A Area Contests

Participating Bands:

Area A - No Contest

Area B - Waxahachie, Coppell, Arlington, De Soto, Crowley.

Area C - Rowlett, Naaman Forest, Rockwall Heath, Hebron, Sachse, Garland, Flower Mound, Lewisville, North Garland, Tyler Legacy, Mesquite, Lakeview Central, Wylie, John Horn, Marcus, Rockwall, North Mesquite.

Area D - Killeen, Belton, Jack C Hays, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Copperas Cove, Ellison, Del Valle, and Harker Heights. 

Area E - Clear Brook, Clear Lake, Deer Park, Channelview, Dawson, George Ranch, Clear Falls, Clear Creek, Clear Springs, Pearland.

Area F - Conroe, Grand Oaks, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands.

Area G - No Contest

Area H - Judson, Lake Travis, Wagner, Steele, Clemens, and Del Rio.

Area I - Langham Creek, Cypress Creek, Cypress Falls, James E Taylor, Seven Lakes, Cypress Springs, Cypress Ranch, Cypress Fairbanks, Cinco Ranch, Cypress Woods, Mayde Creek, Cypress Park, Cypress Ridge, Katy, Jersey Village, Cypress Lakes, Bridgeland, Tompkins, Morton Ranch.

Areas A and G will still be certifying two (2) bands each to send to the state marching band contest.

Edited by DawsonBandAlumni
Added information

23 minutes ago, DawsonBandAlumni said:

6A Area Contests

Participating Bands:

Area A - No Contest

Area B - Waxahachie, Coppell, Arlington, De Soto, Crowley.

Area C - Rowlett, Naaman Forest, Rockwall Heath, Hebron, Sachse, Garland, Flower Mound, Lewisville, North Garland, Tyler Legacy, Mesquite, Lakeview Central, Wylie, John Horn, Marcus, Rockwall, North Mesquite.

Area D - Killeen, Belton, Jack C Hays, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Copperas Cove, Ellison, Del Valle, and Harker Heights. 

Area E - Clear Brook, Clear Lake, Deer Park, Channelview, Dawson, George Ranch, Clear Falls, Clear Creek, Clear Springs, Pearland.

Area F - Conroe, Grand Oaks, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands.

Area G - No Contest

Area H - Judson, Lake Travis, Wagner, Steele, Clemens, and Del Rio.

Area I - Langham Creek, Cypress Creek, Cypress Falls, James E Taylor, Seven Lakes, Cypress Springs, Cypress Ranch, Cypress Fairbanks, Cinco Ranch, Cypress Woods, Mayde Creek, Cypress Park, Cypress Ridge, Katy, Jersey Village, Cypress Lakes, Bridgeland, Tompkins, Morton Ranch.

Areas A and G will still be certifying two (2) bands each to send to the state marching band contest.

wait how do you know about Area A and G certifying two bands if they didn't have a Contest?

My Predictions:

Area A: not sure

Area B: Waxahachie and Coppell

Area C: Hebron, Flower Mound, Marcus, and Rockwall

Area D: CTJ, Hays, and Belton

Area E: Pearland, Clear Brook, and Dawson

Area F: The Woodlands and Oak Ridge

Area G: not sure

Area H: Lake Travis and Clements

Area I: Seven Lakes, James E. Taylor, Langham Creek, and if 4 advance, then Bridgeland.

24 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

My Predictions:

Area ? Hebron, Flower Mound, Marcus, and Rockwall

Area I: Seven Lakes, James E. Taylor, Langham Creek, and if 4 advance, then Bridgeland.

I would agree with all of these - I think the 6A battle for medals at state will be between Hebron, FloMo, Marcus, CTJ, and TWHS

43 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

My Predictions:

Area ? Hebron, Flower Mound, Marcus, and Rockwall

Clements is not part of Area H

36 minutes ago, banddad84 said:

in a year that has been 6 kinds of crazy - it is great to finally see something that resembles normal.

This weekend is the UIL Area events across the state. As Dan Sanchez noted about an hour ago on the live blog, there will be bloggers at most of the Area events that will be blogging on the TXBands from Area B, C, D, F, H, and I - as well as input from the normal TXBands team - the 2020 return of the Daniels. 

for those that are planning to attend the UIL state - the line up will be announced by 3pm on Sunday December 6th. Tickets for State will go on sale through ticket master on Monday December 7th. Tickets are General Admission and $20.00 per person for that Class (2/4/6/) 

Parking at the Alamo Dome is $15 per car (CASH) 

I understand that the TXBands team will be onsite for the State event. I also understand that MFA/BOA is working on content to interject into the live stream between performances. Great to see MFA and UIL working together on this project. if you are not able to attend the BOX5-TV will be well worth the $12 per class cost to watch from the safety of your home or office.

Looks like there will be 19 bands set to perform at 6A state - in a finals only - one and done event. so we will definitely have some new programs at state that we did not see in 2018 - some for the first time.

hope you are all staying safe and have a chance to enjoy the upcoming UIL events in this strange and difficult year. 

Can't wait!!!!!!