To make things even more messy for next year, a new local circuit is starting up next year. They’ll use the new UIL sheets and they have a show in the Alamodome on the 7th...

http://info.directorschoice.travel/marching-contest

Interesting. They probably should have spelled Mr. Christian's first name correctly on their webpage.

I don't see BOA San Antonio going to a semifinal round. 

With the addition of every year Area we will probably see fewer bands participating at BOA SA.
The kids still have to attend a minimum number of days of class.  Semis are great if everyone can perform and still be in class for a half a day.  Once you get outside the two hour bus ride, adding a semifinals would mean that the North Texas schools would have to miss at least one if not two days of class.  In a State year it would be two to three days (schools would not go for that.  Number of days missed would put a huge hindrance on attending Grand Nats.  Missing a week of school for Band competitions (especially during the climax of football season) would not be  looked upon favorably.

Yes, I would love to have more performances with our great bands, but I am trying to be real here.  I really think that the days of us seeing six or more Texas bands at Grand Nats is going to be an extreme rarity going forward.  Or the bands that go more often will be the ones that are closest to San Antonio. 

I can’t imagine BOA would institute a semis round at San Antonio without adding them to the St. Louis and Indianapolis supers as well- even though it may be true that SAs level of competition is deeper, they don’t want to appear to be playing favorites. Not to mention a semis round at SA would take away from the luster, appeal and all around uniqueness of grand nationals. Im firmly of the belief a semis round will never happen for these reasons and the ones laid out above by flomo parent

I don't see BOA San Antonio going to a semifinal round. 

With the addition of every year Area we will probably see fewer bands participating at BOA SA.

The kids still have to attend a minimum number of days of class.  Semis are great if everyone can perform and still be in class for a half a day.  Once you get outside the two hour bus ride, adding a semifinals would mean that the North Texas schools would have to miss at least one if not two days of class.  In a State year it would be two to three days (schools would not go for that.  Number of days missed would put a huge hindrance on attending Grand Nats.  Missing a week of school for Band competitions (especially during the climax of football season) would not be  looked upon favorably.

Yes, I would love to have more performances with our great bands, but I am trying to be real here.  I really think that the days of us seeing six or more Texas bands at Grand Nats is going to be an extreme rarity going forward.  Or the bands that go more often will be the ones that are closest to San Antonio. 

it could be done with Thursday performances being filled with those closer to San Antonio area and Friday for those that are further out. Much smaller they would miss Thursday but regain Friday in class. so no major impact on attendance. the bigger issue would be the what to call it - it would not be the same as St Louis and Indy SR - and if there was an extra day impact, it would likely eliminate the ability for a program to do both SA and GNats - UIL is excused absence - BOA is not.

the most likely way we get semis would be in the creation of a GNats North and South. before everyone jumps on me for suggesting it - hear me out

• let UIL do what they want to do and run their course of area and then state for a bands every year - 
  • do away with the San Antonio SR - if UIL does what it has proposed and programs have to pick between Area championships and BOA SA - we wont need a Semi finals because there will be a dramatic decline in participants. there are a good deal of programs in and around SA that attend BOA SA just because it is here and close by and they do not go to any of the other 6 Texas BOA Events. 
  • Most bands plan their show for UIL state years differently than they do for non-state years - If UIL is every year, we will lose years like we just saw - the shows are always better on a non-state year (my opinion)
  • Have a Gnats South in SA and a Grand Nats North in Indy the same week end in mid November to end the season.

Think about it - the proposed UIL changes where voted on by the directors across the state. because they have a common goal - the programs that don't really do BOA vote yes to get the chance at an area title every year, it costs nothing to perform there and it is excused from school attendance. those that are avid supporters of BOA and attend multiple events in the season and make a trip to Indy every few years also get what they want -  the chance that this will force MFA to address the fact that BOA SA is not like other Super Regionals - the deepest field in the country - more than 100 programs that want to attend. 

MFA does not want to give up LOS - great venue with a long term deal. but what would they be losing - last year there was 1 Texas band that ventured to Indy - this year there are 6 - so they lose the Texas bands - half a dozen at most - if they make BOA SA the same format as indy and open it up to 105 bands in each location - they make more money, involve more bands, and you continue to grow the sport in Texas - the bulk of the bands at Indy will remain in Indy - half of the bands (44 from what I see this year) are from Indy and Ohio (Ohio has more bands than and other state) - Making SA the same format and weight as Indy would likely draw more programs to Texas that would never go to Indy due to cost constraints.

just my thoughts - OK - let the flogging begin

I like that north and south national champion thing. Don’t think they’ll ever do it, but that’s thinking out of the box band dad 84! Having grand nats in Texas every other year may lower out of state competition though. That’s what we surmised last year while having this same discussion. However, north and south champions wasn’t brought up last year. BOA needs to do something though, there is no super regional equal to boa SA, even the Indy sr.

We NEED semifinals!

The only issue is that if boa added semis to sa, it would have to change from a super regional to potentially another grand nationals or similar competition. I agree though, with how intense the entire event is, it's crazy to me that we don't have semifinals yet.

I can’t imagine BOA would institute a semis round at San Antonio without adding them to the St. Louis and Indianapolis supers as well- even though it may be true that SAs level of competition is deeper, they don’t want to appear to be playing favorites. Not to mention a semis round at SA would take away from the luster, appeal and all around uniqueness of grand nationals. Im firmly of the belief a semis round will never happen for these reasons and the ones laid out above by flomo parent

I completely disagree with this sentiment that adding a semi finals to SA is somehow playing favorites,or that you would HAVE to add it to the other supers. The other super regionals don't even come close to the size of SA. It's a quality of life improvement for a regional that's grown past what boa and mfa probably expected. It's not about prestige.

MFA does not want to give up LOS - great venue with a long term deal

It is unclear how long that long-term deal is. DCI recently announced a contract extension through 2028. MFA only recently announced future dates for 2021 and 2022. This time last year, they only had future dates through 2020, so it does seem like their contract is a bit closer to one or two years at a time, instead of 10 years at a time like DCI's. I'm not saying they'll be moving Grand Nationals anytime soon, but I don't know if they're quite as locked in to Indianapolis as everyone thinks.

I know this isn’t the point of anything stated above but I think the era of state vs non state year shows is over. 2016 Flomo was not only the best BOA show that year, it also won state. Many programs are doing just as difficult, albeit maybe slightly shorter, shows on their state years as they are on their non state years.

I know this isn’t the point of anything stated above but I think the era of state vs non state year shows is over. 2016 Flomo was not only the best BOA show that year, it also won state. Many programs are doing just as difficult, albeit maybe slightly shorter, shows on their state years as they are on their non state years.

Look at BOA-SA vs 6A last year. What was it, ten Finalists in common?