UIL Legislative Council Meeting Music Results

This will go into effect in 2020. So next years 5A schools will have to make a choice between BOA SA or UIL Area. 

This is even more reason that BOA needs a "grand nationals" in Texas. Make it the Second weekend of November. Those that truly want to do BOA SA can attend this event and extend the season a week, as well as other out of state schools. 

Are schools required to compete in UIL or could they "opt out" to do BOA if they wanted to? I am thinking of what CTJ did in 2016. Would we potentially see more of that from LISD South & North and NEISD if these potential UIL conflicts become a reality?

No school is required by UIL to compete at all. School districts are another story completely.

There’s no suspension for skipping an Area competition. Tons of bands do or did it—military, show band, mid 2000s SFA—and their organizations still went to UIL Concert in the spring, still participated in UIL football, choir, etc.

Skipping UIL altogether gets tricky. Then you do start messing with other stuff—like UIL Concert, Solo & Ensemble. However, it doesn’t impact other events in the school. Westfield won football championships while their band was practicing 12 hours a week, and the school district held their own Concert Contest and Solo & Ensemble to make up for having to miss those events. Their choir continued to go to UIL Concert.

The choice is there—it’s just up to the school districts.

Just a few stats to add to the discussion....

Including San Antonio, there are 164 different schools from Texas that competed in a BOA competition this Fall (can you guess which school did the most?).  

7 Class A

11 Class AA 

49 Class AAA

77 Class AAAA

20 Unknown Classes because SA will be their first BOA comp this season (although most are quite large)

Leander ISD?  :D

20 new bands in BOA?  How exciting!

This is interesting.  Guess it would keep those judges employed!  You also have to think about the availability of the stadiums as well to hold the extra weekend of the Area contest.   

In some ways, I like the idea because for those bands not competing in BOA, it gives them more of a reason to put out a great show and compete for State, but I would hate to see 
bands have to choose between this and BOA.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-26-at-11.31.18-PM.pn

So much to unpack here.  I think BOA SA is Oct 30-31 next year?  If so, 3A and 5A schools will have a choice to make, won't they?  Or will BOA push it back a week because GN is Nov 12-14?  Of course, the availability of the Alamodome is also a factor.  I guess BOA could let the 3A and 5A bands do prelims on Friday and then they could do Area on Saturday?  But what if a 3A or 5A band makes finals, then what?  I guess the CTJ 2016 option is on the table to do Area prelims and then not do finals.  In that case they could do BOA prelims on Friday, Area prelims on Saturday morning and potentially BOA finals Saturday night?  This is going to affect LISD South pretty hard with Cedar Park, Rouse, Glenn and possibly Leander if they move down to 5A.  WOW!!!

Screen-Shot-2019-10-26-at-11.31.18-PM.pn

Interesting thing I noticed on the area page tonight. They already have dates for the non-state year area contests. Confirms what was said previously in the thread.

Also, I'm confused about the 1A thing. Were 1A groups not able to go to state before?

1A bands have been able to go to State for years, however there is no 1A Area contest. If a 1A band gets a 1 at region, they go directly to State.

I have it on decent-to-good authority that BOA San Antonio will be the week after State next year and the year after, pushing this problem back a little bit.

so we can assume that the change this year to have grand nats a week later may become a permanent change - so BOA SA lands at the end of the first week in Nov and GNats at the end of the second week. 

so we can assume that the change this year to have grand nats a week later may become a permanent change - so BOA SA lands at the end of the first week in Nov and GNats at the end of the second week.

I think the general planning goal is that it starts on the second Thursday of November. So it’s fine for now, but when GN gets earlier (8th-11th) and area gets later (Nov. 1st-4th), there may be some trouble.

The MFA website lists these future dates for GN:

• Nov 12-14, 2020
  • Nov 11-13, 2021
  • Nov 10-12, 2022

As principalagent points out, the GN dates inch back each year so perhaps 2023 is the tipping point for UIL -v- BOA?

I mentioned this on one of the contest threads, but it was explained to me that the move for Area every year is a move in the direction to having the state marching contest every year. Baby steps. Start with Area every year and then once everyone has acclimated to that, move to state every year.

As for those saying well 32 having multiple state champs somehow has sway over the state, thats not how it works. If the majority of regions voted for it then it moves forward with the will of the majority, sway or no sway. Region 32 doesn't dictate the will of the entire state, sorry.

I mentioned this on one of the contest threads, but it was explained to me that the move for Area every year is a move in the direction to having the state marching contest every year. Baby steps. Start with Area every year and then once everyone has acclimated to that, move to state every year.

As for those saying well 32 having multiple state champs somehow has sway over the state, thats not how it works. If the majority of regions voted for it then it moves forward with the will of the majority, sway or no sway. Region 32 doesn't dictate the will of the entire state, sorry.

Nobody claimed Region 32 had sway over the state.

And the baby steps to State every year makes no sense. It was the Directors who voted to STOP doing that. And they have voted multiple times overwhelmingly to keep it this way.