Duncanville Marching Invitational 2019

FYI, the schedule has been updated to add both Lake Highlands and JJ Pearce. This is due to the cancellation of the Coppell USBands that has several DFW area bands scrambling to find a replacement competition. It is possible that one or two more may or may not be added in the next day or two.

https://www.duncanvilleisd.org/cms/lib6/TX01917816/Centricity/Domain/70/DMI%20Schedule%20102219.pdf

ranking in groups:

Medalists:

Hebron, Marcus, Keller

large gap

4-7:

Wax, TC, Prosper, KC

Finals Bubble:

Summit

Trinity (may be able to break into 4-7 grouping w/ a really strong performance)

Wylie

Rockwall

Permian (finalist at Midland! this is a very competitive contest but they definitely could be a finalist).

Haltom is literally impossible to place here. They will more or less certainly be a finalist band, but they haven't performed at all yet. St. Louis will be the indicator of where they place. I expect them to be somewhere in the Wax/TC zone but more or less impossible to say.

Just curious where you'd place Haltom now that St. Louis is done and they medaled after prelims and finished 4th overall.

I'm very excited for this contest, I plan on driving up from Austin the morning of, even with the Westwood vs. Leander game the night before. I'm also bringing my college friend from San Diego to enlighten him on the beast that is Texas band. Before this, the biggest bands he's even heard of were Arcadia, so this will be mind-blowing for him to say the least.

I'm guessing they will be competitive with Waxahachie for that 4th place spot with a closer gap to Keller than I previously predicted. Hachie just bronze medaled at Waco, a little more than a point behind Keller, with Haltom a similar distance behind Bell. Bell and Keller have competed once so far with Keller taking 4th place over Bell's 5th place at DFW earlier in the month.

Right now, I'm thinking Waxahachie has the slight edge over Haltom just because of the massive improvements they made from DFW --> Waco, but I'm guessing it will be pretty close.

Just curious where you'd place Haltom now that St. Louis is done and they medaled after prelims and finished 4th overall.

I'm guessing they will be competitive with Waxahachie for that 4th place spot with a closer gap to Keller than I previously predicted. Hachie just bronze medaled at Waco, a little more than a point behind Keller, with Haltom a similar distance behind Bell. Bell and Keller have competed once so far with Keller taking 4th place over Bell's 5th place at DFW earlier in the month.

Right now, I'm thinking Waxahachie has the slight edge over Haltom just because of the massive improvements they made from DFW --> Waco, but I'm guessing it will be pretty close.

I would also expect Keller to be much improved over Waco.  Their last production was really, really dirty.  Given their history as a group that peaks late, I would expect that they will be MUCH cleaner this week.

All I’m saying is id love to see something totally unexpected happen at this contest . Imagine Marcus or Keller not medaling . Or a group like waxahachie or Haltom snagging a medal. I would absolutely live for this

Honestly I don’t think it would be totally unexpected for Haltom or Waxa to medal over Keller. This competition is judged so differently to BOA and out of the top 5 (other than Hebron), Keller has the most room to grow. Also, I believe that this I Haltom’s last competition so I expect peak cleanliness from them.

Keller is a group that does seem to excel at peaking right at the very end of the season at San Antonio, and their closer does still need a bit of cleaning from where it was at Waco. Although I personally have Keller in 3rd over Haltom, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Haltom place over them, as they had a very strong showing at St. Louis.

Indy is great but if someone bought me a ticket and flight to Indy I'd still go to DMI.

:I

Duncanville doesn't have a Shapiro's Deli and Indy is indoors...I might have to give the nod to Indy if someone else is paying for the trip.  That was some of the best corned beef I've ever had.

Looking at the forecast, it's gonna be cold with the possibility of a little rain on Saturday morning (upper 40s).  Hopefully, the rain is gone by the time the contest starts.

Dang...I may have to go to this one.  The new Hornrank list is out and Haltom was 20th (previously unranked)....ahead of Keller (23...previously 14).  That's a massive jump for Haltom and a big drop for Keller.

This is going to be gooooooood! 

oof.. and James Bowie is now 21 (previously in next 10) so good to see them back in.

i think keller will have to have a very rough run to fall out of the top 3. haltom had a fantastic showing at st louis and waxahachie has made some amazing improvements, but keller at waco is the dirtiest they will be this entire year. keep in mind this is the same band that beat THE marcus at HEB and barely came in 4th to them at DFW.

while anything could happen - i still think the top 3 here will more or less be in a league of their own.

i think keller will have to have a very rough run to fall out of the top 3. haltom had a fantastic showing at st louis and waxahachie has made some amazing improvements, but keller at waco is the dirtiest they will be this entire year. keep in mind this is the same band that beat THE marcus at HEB and barely came in 4th to them at DFW.

while anything could happen - i still think the top 3 here will more or less be in a league of their own.

Agree here.  Keller has one of the most challenging shows of the fall, and has a reputation for peaking at the very end of the season.  Counting them out here or at San Antonio would be foolish I think.

Regardless, this will be a great show!  So many good bands here... finals will be worth the price of admission.

Keller is a group that does seem to excel at peaking right at the very end of the season at San Antonio, and their closer does still need a bit of cleaning from where it was at Waco. Although I personally have Keller in 3rd over Haltom, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Haltom place over them, as they had a very strong showing at St. Louis.

^I came here to make this same exact comment. I thoroughly enjoyed Haltom's performance at STL. I think there is a strong possibility of them medaling. Keller is definitely a late season peak band, so they will still likely have room to grow between now and San Antonio. This is likely Haltom's last competition, so they'll be on fire. 

Duncanville doesn't have a Shapiro's Deli and Indy is indoors...I might have to give the nod to Indy if someone else is paying for the trip.  That was some of the best corned beef I've ever had.

Looking at the forecast, it's gonna be cold with the possibility of a little rain on Saturday morning (upper 40s).  Hopefully, the rain is gone by the time the contest starts.

YES, I love Shapiro's Deli. My airbnb was a five minute walking from there a couple years back.