Does a show need a slow movement?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ha ha..nice.

I personally am a fan of fast, intense shows, but I do believe that a ballad is a nice contrast to constant loudness. If the ballad doesn't fit the show, however, it really has no place in it. I mean..a people usually perceive ballads to be softer, but the climax of a ballad usually is what most people would call a "blow section." It's the moment in the ballad that just grabs you and makes you think "oh man, this band can play!"

But yeah...slow movement only if it fits the show.

• 1 year later...

Although a slow movement is nice as a breather, I don't think that a show would need one. However, it shows the judges that you are capable of playing softly, and adds contrast between fast and slow. It also depends on the show: if you have an empire theme such as The Rise and Fall of Rome, a slow movement might show how the empire, once established, is a beautiful and peaceful machine of bureaucracy.

I think that a marching show does not NEED a slow movement but it sounds beter with a slow movement in it. It gives the listener a chance to just breathe.

I also feel like the slow movements are a good time to showcase the woodwinds and the soloists.

Although the shows do not NEED a slow movement, most of the time the show sounds better with a slow movement [in my oppinion]

my $.02... a show doesnt NEED a slow movement. variation of tempos, if done correctly, can add alot to a show, but it isnt neccesary to have a good show. Alot of shows would be better without their ballad. The ballad only helps if its done correctly, and many bands look at the ballad as the breather, the break, etc. but truth is, it is probably the hardest part of your show. It deserves alot more attention than it gets. A ballad done well shows the maturity of a band, not only can the band play loud and march fast, but they can make music. The ballad is normally my favorite part of shows.

• 2 years later...

There are a large number of factors that play into the usage of a ballad during a show, but one of the most prominent has to do with effect. There are basically two ways you can relay effect:

-Contrast

-Conformity

You can contrast different elements of the show (whatever they might be) to elaborate on specific identity, or you can compare two or more like elements (again, whatever they might be) to create a sense of uniformity and a powerful presence.

A ballad is generally a contrast to the rest of the show - a great source of music GE if used correctly; Among other things, it usually takes the focus off just the band (seeing how the slower music might be more ambient than thematic) and places it upon a contrasting element that amplifies the effect. In other words, it gives the band a break from melting your face, and gives someone (or something) else a chance in the spotlight for a while.

While I don't see a ballad as absolutely crucial to having a good show, I do see it necessary for more flexibility of the performers and a display of the [hopefully] broad talent range being presented. (i.e, I can play "Gems of Adiemus" and then turn around and play something like "O Magnum Mysterium")

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't think that it is necessary but it certainly helps to have a slower or more melodic piece than the typical drill-play-hold-scream-drill-hit-play-drill-technique-play-drill-halt aspect of the band. I have seen a few shows with 6 minutes of opener-type music then a small emphasis on some quieter, or slower piece, but I don't recall seeing one completely without a "ballad".

• 2 months later...

From what I've read, most people are tackling this question from a judge/spectator view. As a performer whose director generally chooses fast paced shows, a full slow movement is basically the only chance for me (a slightly not-athletically-inclined person) to recover. This year, our show's second/fifth movements were supposed to be at least 178 with very few holds (part five had one 8 count and one 4 count hold). If it weren't for the slow/hold-intensive 3rd movement and the relatively slow (124) 4th movement, movement 5 would have been much worse than it was.

On the other hand, last year's show wasn't quite as fast, but kept up the pace the entire time. Never felt I needed a break, and the show flowed pretty well.

What I'm getting at is the question can't be answered from a general standpoint. Some shows need a slow movement so that the performers don't tire out. Some shows probably don't need it because it just wouldn't fit the theme. Some really intense shows have stronger marchers so they don't need it. To really answer this question, you have to look at the individual show, the band/corps, and what they're trying to do.

Edited by RedJoker25

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Very late here, but I'd say that above all, keep in mind that slow movements are HARD. Sure, they're easier in terms of technicality and energy, but they expose marching fundamentals a lot. Most of all, you have to really engage musically to make them compelling.

So be wise - know if your group can pull off slower, quieter music. A boring slow movement drags you down, but if you really nail an emotional ballad, you can put yourself above and beyond the competition.

I have always thought that it's the slower stuff and keeping dynamics and balance great in all tempos that shows real ensemble musicianship. Fast, flashy loud stuff is just silly and obnoxious when that's all you can do.