Things we love outside of band...

LeanderMomma

I envy those of you with frequent flyer miles and reward points. Traveling is expensive! I do use my travel credit card a lot to build points, but nothing like I’m sure you must have through work travel. You are blessed!

Speaking for myself, it is both good and bad. Being away can be tough, because you miss things. You try to schedule around what you can foresee, but surprises happen too.

As long as your company allows you to accrue the benefits of frequent travel it is good for the points etc. I have heard that not all employers allow this - fortunately so far all my employers have allowed me to keep the frequent traveler benefits and use them personally.

I am very appreciative of having been able to visit many places around the world (including 2 business trips that actually went around the globe). But, I have come to dislike the overall travel experience even though I very much love visiting places. But you can't visit if you don't travel!

Speaking for myself, it is both good and bad. Being away can be tough, because you miss things. You try to schedule around what you can foresee, but surprises happen too.

As long as your company allows you to accrue the benefits of frequent travel it is good for the points etc. I have heard that not all employers allow this - fortunately so far all my employers have allowed me to keep the frequent traveler benefits and use them personally.

I am very appreciative of having been able to visit many places around the world (including 2 business trips that actually went around the globe). But, I have come to dislike the overall travel experience even though I very much love visiting places. But you can't visit if you don't travel!

You raise some good points. Traveling is great on your own terms but I’m sure it’s very different when it’s for work and not for fun. Though I’m sure you can still work some fun in occasionally. :) I feel fortunate to be mostly off in the summertime and I definitely take advantage of that to travel as much as I can with my family or with my best friend. And my daughters have turned out to be as adventurous as I am, if not even more so. The youngest is currently spending a month with the oldest, who lives in DC, and I’m of course in California with the middle one. My poor hubby is home alone and starting to really feel it.

I'm sure that a lot of people know this about me already, but my dream job is a research meteorologist. That entails going out into the field (Storm Chasing) and collecting data, then using that data to build better software and hardware that can help improve lead times or the strength of infrastructure which all leads to less lives lost. I've had a passion for weather for my entire life. When I was a young'n I used to sit on the arm of the couch and stare out of our sliding glass doors as a typhoon passed over our house in Japan (Yes, I lived in Okinawa, Japan for three years -- it's absolutely beautiful there by the way). 

I love to read and write. I'm a current GT student and I'm currently enrolled in 2 different colleges and am in six different college classes. I took 4 AP exams this year and plant to take at least 7 next year with a possibility of up to 9 exams. 

I used to play tennis, basketball, golf, and ran track for school, but now I just play on my own time as Band is way too much of a commitment, especially now that I am on the leadership team as one of two librarians (We kill a LOT of trees by the way). I also used to play baseball for a league but I had to stop for the same reasons as above.

I am an avid football fan but would never play the sport myself (how about Jason Witten coming back and that trade for Randall Cobb, eh?). I also love watching tennis, billiards, and poker.

I'm from Nebraska by the way. I've traveled a lot if you can't tell lol. I LOOOOOVVVEEE road trips. When our band took our disney trip last year I was awake for 44 hours straight from the morning we left to the wee hours of the morning on the day after we arrived. I like to watch the scenery go by. It's calming for me, especially at night when everyone is asleep and it's dead quiet on the bus.

Some other passions I have are Parapsychology and flying (as a pilot). My favorite non- animated TV show is Ghost Adventures and my favorite animated series is Avatar the Last Airbender.

Oh, and I'm really good at solving rubik's cubes. I have over two dozen different cubes and my fastest solve on a traditional 3x3 is 17.233 seconds.

Life outside of band is going to change this year after a few years volunteering.  My wife and I are amateur radio operators and trained weather spotters.  We help with our counties Skywarn activity as radio operators and/or spotters (not chasers) and have volunteered at the National Weather Service during storms to bring in reports for the counties they serve.  I tend to be on the computer more than I should be with automating water treatment plants at work to reading band forums at night or using weather radar in the middle of the night to position spotters.  Enjoy traveling and seeing new sites and have been in 42 states so far, for both pleasure and business.  Next season of life will include drum corp as the youngest heads off to Shadow DBC for the summer. ....and I used to be able to solve a 3x3 Rubix cube in under a minute...but not anymore. :)   Go Colts.

Outside of band, I do Graphic Design, and dabble in photography and video work! Funnily enough, I often find myself doing both for band more often than not. I also really enjoy Marvel, both comics and movies, and Godzilla/Kaiju in general. My favorite movie is a Japanese animated film called 'Your Name.', which is where my profile picture on this site comes from. I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to say some stuff! I also have an Instagram for my Graphic Design and Video Work, soooo if any of ya'll wanna check that out, it's @wahajdesignsstuff!

Outside of band, I do Graphic Design, and dabble in photography and video work! Funnily enough, I often find myself doing both for band more often than not. I also really enjoy Marvel, both comics and movies, and Godzilla/Kaiju in general. My favorite movie is a Japanese animated film called 'Your Name.', which is where my profile picture on this site comes from. I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to say some stuff! I also have an Instagram for my Graphic Design and Video Work, soooo if any of ya'll wanna check that out, it's @wahajdesignsstuff!

Cool! I dabble in photography as well and have recently wanted to start doing more graphic design. I think I will start an account now and maybe try to make posters for past and upcoming shows.

Basketball by a lot I watch almost every game thats on TV. Favorite teams are Atlanta and Denver, sadly neither of them are in the final. I want Raptors to win though cause 3 straight from Golden State is a no from me dawg. I also play Super Smash Bros a lot and have gone to tournaments, but haven't won anything yet lol

Hello hello, I’m also rooting for the raptors, they’ve got a heck of a team! Also I’ve gone to several tournaments here too, looking to improve this summer and do better in the locals. Ness main here haha

Hello hello, I’m also rooting for the raptors, they’ve got a heck of a team! Also I’ve gone to several tournaments here too, looking to improve this summer and do better in the locals. Ness main here haha

Oof PK Fire/Freeze/Thunder will forever haunt me wherever I go lol But still super cool im a dark pit/lucario main

So I just wanted to start a thread for those of us who are equally passionate about things other than band. For me it’s Texas Ranger baseball and even more so, college softball. My middle daughter was a gifted athlete and she was an especially good softball player. She played select softball from 12 years on up and also played in college. We are still avid fans, and she and I are currently wrapped up in the Women’s College World Series. Anybody else watching?

I think it is good for us to like other activities.   I am a big USC and PAC12 Sports Fan(Congratulations to the Bruins in Softball) and while being assigned in England became a rabid fan of Manchester United and their great Coach Sir Alex Ferguson. He convinced me that great leaders can make average individuals great.  The fact is that great Bands in general are lead by Great Directors and that is why they usually win in contests, either Marching or Concert Wise. 

• 1 month later...

So I just wanted to start a thread for those of us who are equally passionate about things other than band. For me it’s Texas Ranger baseball and even more so, college softball. My middle daughter was a gifted athlete and she was an especially good softball player. She played select softball from 12 years on up and also played in college. We are still avid fans, and she and I are currently wrapped up in the Women’s College World Series. Anybody else watching?

I'm very late but I love softball. I missed the Women's College World Series this year. I also love Texas Ranger baseball so much that 3 of my 5 animals are named after former Ranger players.  Kinsler Murphy (Ian Kinsler and David Murphy) a now 6 yr old German Shepherd Dog, Mitch Moreland (called Mo) a 6 yr old maine coon cat, Joshua Hamilton is a 4 yr old Catahoula Leopard Cur. I wanted to name our 2 younger animals after Ranger players but My family vetoed that because we name our animals and the player is immediately traded. I also am very into all levels of Woman's artistic gymnastics. I attend as many meets as possible. I"m really happy that the next few years the Women's College Gymnastic Nationals are in Fort Worth. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Followed