New to Texas and Texas Bands

so I hope this is the right place to put this.

I have been viewing this site for for a few weeks since moving to TX from TN. I have learned a great deal about Texas bands in the past few weeks from this site but it scares me.

I have a new freshman that will be joining a program here. Some of the band parents recommended this site as my orientation. - WOW!!!

it would appear that band is king in Texas - forget the football thing.

look forward to learning from those of you that have been here awhile

I will apologize in advance for any stupid questions I may ask - 

Looking forward to learning more as enjoying the Texas Band Experience

Welcome to Texas!

Yes Band is a big thing in Texas and getting bigger but don't be fooled, football is still King.   For me however the games will always be the reason to have a halftime show and the halftime show the reason to come to the game!   After 7 years as a Texas Band Dad and my 2nd kid is going into her Sr. Year the advice I give is to jump in with both feet, get involved, volunteer, watch the other bands and shows as much as you can and have a blast.   Band has been a fantastic experience not only for my kids but also for my wife and I as well.   After my daughter graduates next year we plan on continuing to go the the half time shows and contests.

I am glad you were pointed to Texas Bands to help show you the camaraderie and the community.   Even though we are mostly all highly competitive we all (parents, teachers and kids) know and understand we are part of a larger entity and help support each other, even our biggest rivals when called on. 

Hope you have a great year this year and stick with it!  It's not easy but it is highly rewarding and for most all Band has a profoundly positive impact on the kids!

Welcome to Texas!

Yes Band is a big thing in Texas and getting bigger but don't be fooled, football is still King.   For me however the games will always be the reason to have a halftime show and the halftime show the reason to come to the game!   After 7 years as a Texas Band Dad and my 2nd kid is going into her Sr. Year the advice I give is to jump in with both feet, get involved, volunteer, watch the other bands and shows as much as you can and have a blast.   Band has been a fantastic experience not only for my kids but also for my wife and I as well.   After my daughter graduates next year we plan on continuing to go the the half time shows and contests.

I am glad you were pointed to Texas Bands to help show you the camaraderie and the community.   Even though we are mostly all highly competitive we all (parents, teachers and kids) know and understand we are part of a larger entity and help support each other, even our biggest rivals when called on. 

Hope you have a great year this year and stick with it!  It's not easy but it is highly rewarding and for most all Band has a profoundly positive impact on the kids!

thanks - My wife signed us up for concessions and crew last week. while I am still not sure that that entails, we are "all in" and looking forward to the experience. I have been surfing YouTube and the videos of the programs in Texas are amazing. the level of competition in Texas is insane.  we are excited to be in our new home and a new adventure.   

I have been viewing this site for for a few weeks since moving to TX from TN. I have learned a great deal about Texas bands in the past few weeks from this site but it scares me.

I have a new freshman that will be joining a program here. Some of the band parents recommended this site as my orientation. - WOW!!!

welcome to the TXbands family - strap in - it will be a great ride

WELCOME! I’m so glad that you introduced yourself this way. Most people come in and don’t really do that right off the bat, so kudos to you.

I moved here from Tennessee as well, but it was back in 1997. I’m from the Memphis area and still get back there at least twice a year. I was in high school band, but nothing prepared me for what I was going to experience here when my youngest daughter joined the Leander band her freshman year (2013). It’s been a wild and exciting ride, and even though she graduated two years ago, I’m still a huge fan. Maybe even more so now than I was when I was in the thick of it. :)

I hope you will stick around the forum and let us get to know you better. Maybe even long enough to change your nickname from Visitor to something more permanent. :D

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the forum. 

Texas bands and the community are phenomenal. You and your child are going to have a great time. 

Do you or your family have past experience with high school bands? I marched with 2 high powerhouses in the late eighties and early nineties in another state. I have followed marching band heavily since to include high school and Drum Corps International. 

Which school district or school is your freshman with?  My son will be a junior at Cedar Park High School this year and we, as a family have had an absolutely great time. Cedar Park is in what is getting known as LISD South. The Leander Independent School District has: Leander High School (6A), Vandergrift (6A), Current 6A State Champion Vista Ridge, Current 5A State Champion Cedar Park, and 5A up and coming bands Rouse (5A), and Glenn High School (5A). 

Which Texas bands have you been enjoying style-wise in your YouTubing? 

Ask away with "stupid" questions. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Texas bands and the community are phenomenal. You and your child are going to have a great time. 

Do you or your family have past experience with high school bands? I marched with 2 high powerhouses in the late eighties and early nineties in another state. I have followed marching band heavily since to include high school and Drum Corps International. 

Which school district or school is your freshman with?  My son will be a junior at Cedar Park High School this year and we, as a family have had an absolutely great time. Cedar Park is in what is getting known as LISD South. The Leander Independent School District has: Leander High School (6A), Vandergrift (6A), Current 6A State Champion Vista Ridge, Current 5A State Champion Cedar Park, and 5A up and coming bands Rouse (5A), and Glenn High School (5A). 

Which Texas bands have you been enjoying style-wise in your YouTubing? 

Ask away with "stupid" questions. 

North East district. I watched a bunch of videos from the schools here like Reagan and Johnson,but I watched a video of the Flower Mound, Woodlands and some of the Austin programs. I was amazed by the size of the bands. saw a montage of finals from last year with all the bands on the field at the end - WOW - this is new to me and my wife.

Welcome to Texas and to the TXBands forum.  We have a pretty good time here. :)  I have two older graduated band kids, and two this year in Band and Color Guard.

I'm a fellow texas transplant, and have roots that go back to Tennessee.  :)  What area are you coming from?  My sister lived in the Nashville and Memphis areas for the last 17 years. I went to highschool up in Clarksville eon's ago; and my mom grew up in the Nashville and Davis County area.

Band in Texas takes some adjustment... but as long as your kids love it, it's worth the extra efforts, $ and time.  As the co-chair for our concessions crew at our band- I encourage you to dive in and work a few concessions shifts and try some of the pit crew shifts... try all the different areas of volunteering and find your nitch where you make your friends and feel like you are a part of your new band family.

Welcome to Texas and to the TXBands forum. We have a pretty good time here. :) I have two older graduated band kids, and two this year in Band and Color Guard.

I'm a fellow texas transplant, and have roots that go back to Tennessee. :) What area are you coming from? My sister lived in the Nashville and Memphis areas for the last 17 years. I went to highschool up in Clarksville eon's ago; and my mom grew up in the Nashville and Davis County area.

Band in Texas takes some adjustment... but as long as your kids love it, it's worth the extra efforts, $ and time. As the co-chair for our concessions crew at our band- I encourage you to dive in and work a few concessions shifts and try some of the pit crew shifts... try all the different areas of volunteering and find your nitch where you make your friends and feel like you are a part of your new band family.

Did I know we had the Tennessee connection in common? So cool!

Did I know we had the Tennessee connection in common? So cool!

I think I had missed that you were from Memphis.  :)  

I was up in Clarksville from '90-'92

My sister just left Tennessee and moved her family to Utah last month...  

My mom still owns her parents house (they've passed on) and some farm property out there.  

Welcome Visitor2020!!!  I have been on the Crew with CTJ for 9 years now....3 more to go.  Crew in NEISD is a great community.  I have had great experiences with all our sister schools as well as the schools at the competitions.  Depending on the school, it is a lot of work but you'll be in great shape by the time November rolls around. 

Strap in for a wild ride and don't let your freshman give up the first couple days of summer band.  We moved into CTJ my daughter's freshman year...from a school that marched Military style!!!  She was overwhelmed the first three days but was all in after that.

Welcome to Texas and to the TXBands forum.  We have a pretty good time here. :)  I have two older graduated band kids, and two this year in Band and Color Guard.

I'm a fellow texas transplant, and have roots that go back to Tennessee.  :)  What area are you coming from?  My sister lived in the Nashville and Memphis areas for the last 17 years. I went to highschool up in Clarksville eon's ago; and my mom grew up in the Nashville and Davis County area.

Band in Texas takes some adjustment... but as long as your kids love it, it's worth the extra efforts, $ and time.  As the co-chair for our concessions crew at our band- I encourage you to dive in and work a few concessions shifts and try some of the pit crew shifts... try all the different areas of volunteering and find your nitch where you make your friends and feel like you are a part of your new band family.

we are coming from Nashville (Franklin)  but we had only been there for 20 months, my employer has moved us around a lot the past 20 years (8 moves, in 4 states in 20 years) we had been in Texas before, just not as a band family. My employer has promised me that this is at least a 5 year or more assignment.

• 1 month later...

Welcome!!  It's awesome that you've already jumped in as a volunteer.  It's a shame that so many parents miss out on that aspect of the experience.

Bands of America-San Antonio is the epitome of Texas band competition.  There is no harder competition in the nation, in my opinion, and it speaks volumes about the level of competition in Texas. 

The best part to me, though, is the genuine support between bands.  HS football may be "king" in Texas but that doesn't mean it's superior to band.

This morning's weather in Houston is unheard of for July!  77 degree's!!  I know the guard is out there enjoying the great weather!   It still will get hot into the 90's though... :)  After two days of camp my freshman color guard was complaining she couldn't walk up or down the stairs to her room last night lol!... they are getting their workouts in!

Our camp starts on Monday! I can't wait, it's going to be another great season of High School marching band... and sadly my last. Can't wait to see what this season has in store for me!

Expect to be emotional in one or more of your final performances. Perform in the moment, all the time. Enjoy your final season!

just dropped off my freshmen for day 1 of camp - should be an interesting dinner conversation  :D

at least you still get some dinner time with them.  :)  Our camp this week is two a day's...  morning 8-12 and then 4-9 tonight.  Guard has to meet at the Jr High in the morning because the HS main campus and 9th grade campus is over scheduled for large open rooms.  Last week guard was at 9th grade campus... Tonight is the first time they put the whole band together.

at least you still get some dinner time with them.  :)  Our camp this week is two a day's...  morning 8-12 and then 4-9 tonight.  Guard has to meet at the Jr High in the morning because the HS main campus and 9th grade campus is over scheduled for large open rooms.  Last week guard was at 9th grade campus... Tonight is the first time they put the whole band together.

This sounds about right - I recall it happened every year for the last 4 (or a slight variation).

Good to bump into you at the store on Saturday! :)

our camp this week is done my 6pm - we did a meet and greet in the morning for the new parents and I got to watch the kids dancing on the band pad for awhile before lunch. my wife is serving meals at lunch so she gets to check in on him. - so far he is keeping a smile on his face and working through the blisters on his feet.