The Danpodcast - BOA Applications And You

Ready or not, the 2019 Texas Marching Season is here!!  Listen as I attempt to explain the application process for Bands of America.  I'll also quickly preview the awesome BOA contests in Texas as well as the Texas Armada heading up to Grand Nationals this year!

Thank you so much for the support!!!

0:00 - The Danpodcast 101
4:18 - How BOA Applications Work
10:10 - The Waitlist *Thunderclap*
13:05 - BOA Texas Regionals Preview
20:18 - Thank You, Seniors

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j71gEMIlrI8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

great listen - thanks for sharing

Cannot thank you enough for the ode to seniors that you included at the end of this. I really do owe it to so many excellent people during my 4 year tenure at the Seven Lanes Band; your reminder helped me understand that.

I cannot wait to experience the 2019 marching season through the eyes of an enthusiast in the same ways that many of you all have been. I’m going to follow this activity for a long time, no doubt. Unfortunately some of the activities I wanted to see live won’t work out since I’m in college marching band (which I’m definitely excited about), but that’s what FloMarching is for!

And this should go without saying but thank you for the rest of the podcast as well. So much excellent information packed in them as always.

I get my Amazon package and a new Danpod episode a day early? Also, should've had the thanks to the seniors starting a second later.

I feel like he saw this message before writing the YT description.

Although I actually like “20:18” better because that was the year of my last HS Marching season...

Cannot thank you enough for the ode to seniors that you included at the end of this. I really do owe it to so many excellent people during my 4 year tenure at the Seven Lanes Band; your reminder helped me understand that.

I cannot wait to experience the 2019 marching season through the eyes of an enthusiast in the same ways that many of you all have been. I’m going to follow this activity for a long time, no doubt. Unfortunately some of the activities I wanted to see live won’t work out since I’m in college marching band (which I’m definitely excited about), but that’s what FloMarching is for!

And this should go without saying but thank you for the rest of the podcast as well. So much excellent information packed in them as always.

Definitely a good time to reflect on the experiences, positive and negative, and use those lessons to help you figure out the next phase in Life.  Thanks for listening!!

Ready or not, the 2019 Texas Marching Season is here!!  Listen as I attempt to explain the application process for Bands of America.  I'll also quickly preview the awesome BOA contests in Texas as well as the Texas Armada heading up to Grand Nationals this year!

Thank you so much for the support!!!

0:00 - The Danpodcast 101
4:18 - How BOA Applications Work
10:10 - The Waitlist *Thunderclap*
13:05 - BOA Texas Regionals Preview
20:18 - Thank You, Seniors

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j71gEMIlrI8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

new to the forum and appreciate the education :D

new to the forum and appreciate the education :D

If you have time at some point, I recommend going back to the podcasts from last year and listening to them in order. You will learn a lot about the different BOA contests and about the top bands (as well as some lesser known ones!) that way. Dan is a wealth of knowledge and is very easy to listen to. He’s also a pretty nice guy IRL. ;)

If you have time at some point, I recommend going back to the podcasts from last year and listening to them in order. You will learn a lot about the different BOA contests and about the top bands (as well as some lesser known ones!) that way. Dan is a wealth of knowledge and is very easy to listen to. He’s also a pretty nice guy IRL. ;)

I have already listened to a few of the "nerd In" and "cherry on top" podcasts. I had heard about the SA Dome event before moving here - I was not aware that there were so many other major events in Texas. 

I am assuming that BOA is the big thing in Texas. from the look of it all the bands in Texas participate in this?

I have spent more than a dozen hours online this weekend looking at this site, horn rank, MFA and youtube videos - I am getting educated on what to expect. I had lunch today with some other band parents we met and thinking that the volunteering for concessions and crew might have been a mistake.  :D

About 10-15% of Texas bands compete in BOA. But, a vast majority of the Bands that view it as a competitive endeavor will attend BOA.

Concessions and crew are awesome! You'll love it!

I thought the crew would be fun. but then I saw all the semi trailers yesterday with one of the band parents and thought "what the heck are they hauling and what did I sign up for".... but I am always game for a new adventure.

Concessions  :D I can eat and serve hot dogs all day long

based on what I have seen here , San Antonio appears to be the capital of marching band - BOA, UIL State and DCI southwest. the dome is the place to be. Texas marching band was a big part of deciding to move here. my kids are very excited about the journey.

Oh my goodness I’m so excited for your family! I could probably easily pick y’all out at a BOA competition. You’ll be the ones standing around in complete awe. ;) I can’t wait to hear from you again after your first BOA!

based on what I have seen here , San Antonio appears to be the capital of marching band - BOA, UIL State and DCI southwest. the dome is the place to be. Texas marching band was a big part of deciding to move here. my kids are very excited about the journey.

If I may ask, what school will your child be attending?

I have already listened to a few of the "nerd In" and "cherry on top" podcasts. I had heard about the SA Dome event before moving here - I was not aware that there were so many other major events in Texas. 

I am assuming that BOA is the big thing in Texas. from the look of it all the bands in Texas participate in this?

I have spent more than a dozen hours online this weekend looking at this site, horn rank, MFA and youtube videos - I am getting educated on what to expect. I had lunch today with some other band parents we met and thinking that the volunteering for concessions and crew might have been a mistake.  :D

Now for some real fun, go back to the "nerd in" and "cherry on top" for the SA contest in 2017.  Those got me hooked on his podcasts and have actually listened to them a few times for good memories.