Watching BOA from the outside looking in...it’s almost surreal. Especially for McAllen; Our band performed there last year but saw almost no Valley programs perform due to our schedule. I can’t comment on all the bands (because I didn’t some all of them) but I certainly have thoughts on some that I’m hoping to post in a bit.

My thoughts listed off as I watch :

United: Some really ambitious technique here, and overall really powerful sounds. Sometimes got carried away but McAllen is the regional to do that :). Overall a really fun show with a LOT of content (which I believe in early regionals, is definitely a good thing); and, it’s all performed well. They are in a great spot to improve later in the season.

Del Rio: Respect points for the pink dancer outfits. Lots of places to show off technique, and they do it very cleanly. Sound is brilliantly blended but feels a bit “small” in my opinion. Cool musical effects throughout. Love seeing Del Rio’s ambition with BOA given their location. It’s paying off.

Pioneer: What a fun show. What a fun show. Their show? It was fun. And also powerful. Preliminary, but, like United, it’s got a lot of content with a lot of room to grow (which is excellent). Expect these guys to storm state! These guys have a good shot at medaling through some GE power.

Ok so I won’t list thoughts on every band as I decided that eating dinner is something that I should kinda do, but I will say:

I think JBA sweeps captions over prelims Churchill (except maybe visual...?). And would have blown last year’s 7L McAllen finals performance out of the water. That is a GE Monster.

One thing that I feel JBA is doing phenomenally that very few other bands in Texas are doing is *feeling* the show’s message (of course to do that you need a clear understand of what it is) and using that to enhance the musical performance and overall effect. Definitely their best example of this would have been their “WAR” impact; the energy and sound complemented the chord structures and overall message very well.

BOA McAllen Finals:

10: 69.50 - United

9: 69.80 - Mission

8: 71.05 - Del Rio

7: 72.00 - Sharyland

6: 72.10 - Birdville

5: 72.95 - McNeil

4: 73.80 - Pioneer

3: 76.10 - Winston Churchill

2: 76.10 - Roma

1: 77.10 - John B. Alexander

Music: John B. Alexander, Roma

Visual: Winston Churchill

General Effect: John B. Alexander

And the city of Laredo takes home its first ever BOA Regional Championship! Congrats to John B. Alexander! And it's the first South Texas regional championship since Harlingen in 2005!

Winston Churchill takes its first medal in well over a decade--since 2007.

Roma and Pioneer back in the top half, with Roma grabbing another medal.

A great day down in the Valley!

I couldn't make it to BOA McAllen today but I'm curious to know how Roma sounded with mellophones? I believe this is the first year they march mellophones after years and years of them marching concert horns and was wondering how their sound changed (if any) :) 

It is definitely a different texture, more in line with the rest of the activity, but still with outstanding players. I miss the unique color and visual of the concert French horns, but the mellos allow them to speak and project through a lot more easily.