As much as I want to be a 4 horse-race that predictions seem to suggest it is, I think at this point in the season, it's CTJ, and then the other 3 as a tossup. While it's been hard to find much recently from Vandy/VR, I just don't think the LISD schools will be quite up to CTJ's level just yet. I think each of them offer something that could steal captions from CTJ, but it's definitely CTJ's to lose. Now by San Antonio/Indianapolis, I think it will be a lot harder to predict the results between the Centex bands, but it's hard to topple the completeness CTJ puts out this early.

I'm also on board the CP in the top half train. I don't actually think CP was as bad as their slightly diminished results suggested last year (they actually ended up 6th after a scary 10th in prelims in Austin), I just think a lot of other bands took a major step last year that Cedar Park didn't quite keep up with. Their show this year feels much more quintessential CP and I expect them to get back to their sustained success.

As much as I want to be a 4 horse-race that predictions seem to suggest it is, I think at this point in the season, it's CTJ, and then the other 3 as a tossup. While it's been hard to find much recently from Vandy/VR, I just don't think the LISD schools will be quite up to CTJ's level just yet. I think each of them offer something that could steal captions from CTJ, but it's definitely CTJ's to lose. Now by San Antonio/Indianapolis, I think it will be a lot harder to predict the results between the Centex bands, but it's hard to topple the completeness CTJ puts out this early.

While I understand where you're coming from, (and possibly agree with you on this) I think if there's any year to have one of the LISD bands pass up CTJ, this is the one. Both Leander and Vandy are also going to grand nats, so we will really be trying to put our best foot forward. Also, Vista is going to be trying to ride the wave of winning state to their fullest potential. My personal bet is on Vandy because wow have seen how clean they are? Just my two cents, and maybe a little lisd bias.

While I understand where you're coming from, (and possibly agree with you on this) I think if there's any year to have one of the LISD bands pass up CTJ, this is the one. Both Leander and Vandy are also going to grand nats, so we will really be trying to put our best foot forward. Also, Vista is going to be trying to ride the wave of winning state to their fullest potential. My personal bet is on Vandy because wow have seen how clean they are? Just my two cents, and maybe a little lisd bias.

I totally agree with you. Although I think CTJ is still the most likely to win this, Vandy or Vista has the best shot at beating them. I'd love to see LISD win, but I might also be a bit biased.

If CTJ ended with their ballad at BOA Austin, do you think that would impact them at all?  Just curious about others' perspective if all of the LISD bands and CTJ ended around the 8 minute mark.  I'd love to know because I think that would be a much better indicator.  I like that the LISD bands tend to grow throughout the season but I also like that CTJ puts it all out there asap, and then works on cleaning it the rest of the season.  I can see the benefits to both for sure.  

As a CTJ parent, I’m obviously biased but from videos I’ve seen on the LISD schools, its going to be an exciting finals! I’m not making predictions because I think it’s going to be close at the top. But that’s what I’m hoping for because it’s so freaking exciting!! I can’t comment on music, sound, etc because I don’t have a musical background but I freakin love marching season!! I’m so proud of my son and I can’t wait to hear and celebrate all of our kids!

I just reread this and realize I sound like a doofus and contributed nothing to the conversation. My bad.

I find you a very likable person!  And I don't think you sound like a doofus at all.   :lol:

As a CTJ parent, I’m obviously biased but from videos I’ve seen on the LISD schools, its going to be an exciting finals! I’m not making predictions because I think it’s going to be close at the top. But that’s what I’m hoping for because it’s so freaking exciting!! I can’t comment on music, sound, etc because I don’t have a musical background but I freakin love marching season!! I’m so proud of my son and I can’t wait to hear and celebrate all of our kids!

I just reread this and realize I sound like a doofus and contributed nothing to the conversation. My bad.

I love this message! Its exciting to see who will win and I cant wait to see, but its all about those kids who have worked so hard. I have so much respect for every one of them out on the field no matter if their group gets first place or last.

Just gonna go ahead and file that Vandy ballad right next to Leander Brittney as potential top moments of the year for me. I’ve been saying for years that Vandy needs to break their mold just a little bit to get over the hump to the top, and that ballad might just do it. My goodness, what a cool movement! I’m typically pretty anti-drum line in ballads but their drumline is smoking and it really adds to the drama. I’m sold!

I wouldn't count anyone out of contention that has made the Grand Nationals finals 3 times. Programs sometimes have slumps, so they could surprise us all this year. I personally like come-backs.

I went over to dragon stadium yesterday to watch RR practice. Their new design team is from Carolina Crown who happened to be there last night. In my opinion they are going to substantially improve this season.

Noticed through a lot of videos on YouTube and Instagram of bands ditching their shakos for their show... perhaps picking up on Vista Ridge's style from last season and DCI trends? I know VR didn't wear shakos so they could exemplify their facial expressions to the press box, but I wonder if other schools are able to do it too. 

Noticed through a lot of videos on YouTube and Instagram of bands ditching their shakos for their show... perhaps picking up on Vista Ridge's style from last season and DCI trends? I know VR didn't wear shakos so they could exemplify their facial expressions to the press box, but I wonder if other schools are able to do it too. 

I was told that the concept of losing hats was because hats/plumes accentuate body movement - especially if it a white plume or one that contrast to the green turf field - lose the hat if your drill is not spot on

by losing the hat, you lose the accent of a lack of body synchronization in a group - as BOA has moved more judges to the box VS field in the past 2 years  - it is a bigger concern for Visual/GE - same can be said to some degree for white uniforms - props to FloMo for sticking with the white Uni.