I heard something about a staff change. They still played with confident sounds but it was overall a messy performance probably caused by mediocre design and leadership.

There also seemed to be a few issues going on outside of performance. The props rolled in pretty late compared to the rest of the band, the guard didn't have uniforms in yet, so they wore what looked like show shirts (which is totally understandable, sometimes uniforms don't come in on time, but I can see it effecting the visual GE in a minor way just because the show shirts really didn't fit with the rest of the props or band uniforms), it also got pretty hot during their run, and during their run I saw a member of their band sitting on the back of the field being fanned by someone, and they later had to be helped out. So it seems like they had a rough run overall, I hope things can get better for them as the season progresses.

Sorry for somehow getting this onto a money track.  I meant it as a serious question and not meant to stir the pot.  It just seemed to surprise me that the same bands from the district are going so often when others aren't.  Given the info and I am sure lead time, I would imagine seeing bands like Vista Ridge going in two years.  They are in the same if not slightly better financial situation than Leander and slightly worse than Cedar Park.  Vandy, is head and shoulders about the rest of the schools in the district when it comes to financial support.  I don't mean that derogatory at all, I have many friends at all the schools across our district.  $ certainly can make some things easier, sometimes not having $ can make other things easier.

Sorry for somehow getting this onto a money track.  I meant it as a serious question and not meant to stir the pot.  It just seemed to surprise me that the same bands from the district are going so often when others aren't.  Given the info and I am sure lead time, I would imagine seeing bands like Vista Ridge going in two years.  They are in the same if not slightly better financial situation than Leander and slightly worse than Cedar Park.  Vandy, is head and shoulders about the rest of the schools in the district when it comes to financial support.  I don't mean that derogatory at all, I have many friends at all the schools across our district.  $ certainly can make some things easier, sometimes not having $ can make other things easier.

It is a topic that comes up fairly often, and we all have our opinions. I've had the chance to see it from both sides (as a performer at a relatively poor, rural school in Kentucky, and as a parent with The Woodlands).

The Woodlands program makes it clear that they will attend Grand Nationals every 2 years. This is learned at the first booster meeting for the incoming freshman class. And when you haven't paid attention, and your freshman year also happens to be an Indy year - yikes! Band fees are around $2k (and increasing, of course) for Indy years at TWHS. Roughly half that on the off years.

It is a topic that comes up fairly often, and we all have our opinions. I've had the chance to see it from both sides (as a performer at a relatively poor, rural school in Kentucky, and as a parent with The Woodlands).

The Woodlands program makes it clear that they will attend Grand Nationals every 2 years. This is learned at the first booster meeting for the incoming freshman class. And when you haven't paid attention, and your freshman year also happens to be an Indy year - yikes! Band fees are around $2k (and increasing, of course) for Indy years at TWHS. Roughly half that on the off years.

I had the same shell shock - in 2011, my freshman was informed they would make their first trek to GNats - the cost was surprising. our program goes every 3-5 years because the cost is a huge impact. it depends on what else they are doing like Rose parade, etc..

now we have another freshman going this year - but I too have seen both sides as a poor student in CA and a parent in CTJ

For those of you whose kiddos are going to grand nats this year, will the kids fly or bus out there?

Charter flight. 2 flights. It’s the only way we can book that large of a group out there. From what I’ve been told- we are only allowed to have the kids to miss 2 days of school for the trip- so there’s no way we could bus out and make it out in time to perform and get back and only miss 2 days.

For those of you whose kiddos are going to grand nats this year, will the kids fly or bus out there?

buses in 2011 (24 hour trip-each way) 2016 and again this year will be charter flights - flights take at least a day off of the time out of class and it is not a UIL sanctioned event so it impacts attendance 

Lake Travis in 7th is going to set them up for dramatic success this season. I would start looking at them seriously for a top half placement in St Louis and a photo finish to finals at San Antonio.

Lake Travis performed right before my band (Cedar Park) did in prelims. They sounded so good! And that opener... wow.

One more amazing thing from the contest Saturday that happen with a Vista  Ridge student in Finals.  Just amazing what this student did!!!   If you watch the FlowMarching replay you will see around the 5:50 time mark a Clarinet player step on a flag and fall,  It's on the right side (side 2?) at the 20 yard line up front.   She recovered quickly and got back in place in just a couple of seconds.  What we found out after is that she broke her wrist in the fall and completed the rest of the show with all the body and arm movements!!!!  This was closer to the end of movement 1.    Not only did she finish the show but she stayed for the retreat ceremony!!!   Just blown away by this!   If you see a big football player with a broken wrist they are down writhing around but this young lady popped back up and kept going!   We are going to have to get her a Wonder Woman award or something for this!

That reminded me of this topic: http://www.txbands.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6848-gruesome-and-not-so-gruesome-band-injuries/

edited to add: The one that is really documented is https://www.collegem...uit-performance Don't click through if blood bothers you.

Edited by TWHSParent

I can't wrap my head around just 2 charters to Indy. When we marched in Macy's we took 7 charters Jet Blue/Delta and there were only 3 seats available for non band members. Our trucks went up a week in advance.

Freshman year...$3K over and above annual fees and that's after a record setting fund raising drive.

I can't wrap my head around just 2 charters to Indy. When we marched in Macy's we took 7 charters Jet Blue/Delta and there were only 3 seats available for non band members. Our trucks went up a week in advance.

Freshman year...$3K over and above annual fees and that's after a record setting fund raising drive.

I guess it depends on the size of the charter? TWHS gets either 737's or A320's that hold about 170-180 people each. There are usually some spots available for parents to purchase seats.

Steering back to BOA Austin and performances.... I just gotta say... really love what Westwood and Cedar Ridge are doing this year!  I was at the RRISD Festival of Bands last night and it reconfirmed how much I liked those 2.  The crowd last night just ate up both shows.  

Also, Westwood's use of the Pines of Rome's Villa Borghese movement in their holiday-themed show is brilliant.  That music just fits the holiday/wintry/whimsical theme perfectly and the kids are selling the heck out of it. So excited to see the further development of this show over the season.  

Steering back to BOA Austin and performances.... I just gotta say... really love what Westwood and Cedar Ridge are doing this year!  I was at the RRISD Festival of Bands last night and it reconfirmed how much I liked those 2.  The crowd last night just ate up both shows.  

Also, Westwood's use of the Pines of Rome's Villa Borghese movement in their holiday-themed show is brilliant.  That music just fits the holiday/wintry/whimsical theme perfectly and the kids are selling the heck out of it. So excited to see the further development of this show over the season.  

I agree.  I loved both shows.  I loved how at the end of the Cedar Ridge show the band surrounded the "King" piece in a "check mate" sort of move.  All the colors matched well and they sounded good.  I agree with the music for Westwood and think in San Antonio when we are a little closer to Christmas, it will be even more of a hit.  I don't know if anyone else noticed but in prelims the snowman fell over and at first I thought it was either planned or a fitting gesture considering how HOT it was that day.  Maybe it was just me but I sort of enjoyed seeing the snowman "melt" in the hot Austin sun.  I am sure it will stay upright in the cool air-conditioned Alamodome!!  HA!!