2019 Band Productions

On video they dont look much smaller than last year if they are at all. The guard also looks phenomenal. Seems to be the strongest start from them in many years if not ever. Super excited to see how the season plays out for them.

Ā 

Agreed. This is an unusually strong start from a usually fantastic program. I'm wondering if Avon took a page from Reagan's show from last year with all the Bach. They play many of the same pieces, including the Fugue in G Minor, but it's not as playfully arranged as it was in Reagan's book. I'm loving the Chaconne in D Minor in the opener. Probably the greatest piece of music ever written. The drill writing is superb. Beautiful to behold and thrilling (and rather baroque). Avon also sounds better than they usually do around this time of the year. Unlike Texas bands, which come out of the gate really hot musically, Avon tends to take some time to reach their "final form." (Probably this is because their drill is extremely challenging.) I suspect their "final form" this year will earn them another top 3 finish at Nationals, if not their 4th Eagle. Obviously, there are many potential champions I have yet to see anything from, like Hebron or TWHS, and the shows at this point in the season are all incomplete, so I don't want to prematurely call it, but Avon's show is the best of the ones I've seen so far.

Agreed. This is an unusually strong start from a usually fantastic program. I'm wondering if Avon took a page from Reagan's show from last year with all the Bach. They play many of the same pieces, including the Fugue in G Minor, but it's not as playfully arranged as it was in Reagan's book. I'm loving the Chaconne in D Minor in the opener. Probably the greatest piece of music ever written. The drill writing is superb. Beautiful to behold and thrilling (and rather baroque). Avon also sounds better than they usually do around this time of the year. Unlike Texas bands, which come out of the gate really hot musically, Avon tends to take some time to reach their "final form." (Probably this is because their drill is extremely challenging.) I suspect their "final form" this year will earn them another top 3 finish at Nationals, if not their 4th Eagle. Obviously, there are many potential champions I have yet to see anything from, like Hebron or TWHS, and the shows at this point in the season are all incomplete, so I don't want to prematurely call it, but Avon's show is the best of the ones I've seen so far.

What makes it better? Iā€™m always confused by this from the Indy bands. When I ask it in other forums I usually get jumped on, but I feel safer asking it here. What is it that makes it better than what CTJ and Leander are doing right now? Iā€™m trying so hard to learn what to look for this season so I can better understand what the judges are looking for when I am watching a competition. Is it a style that just resonates better in Indy? That classical style? Do they prefer the classics over contemporary? Is classical music more difficult to march to? More lovely to listen to in the judges minds? I really want to understand it all better!

What makes it better? Iā€™m always confused by this from the Indy bands. When I ask it in other forums I usually get jumped on, but I feel safer asking it here. What is it that makes it better than what CTJ and Leander are doing right now? Iā€™m trying so hard to learn what to look for this season so I can better understand what the judges are looking for when I am watching a competition. Is it a style that just resonates better in Indy? That classical style? Do they prefer the classics over contemporary? Is classical music more difficult to march to? More lovely to listen to in the judges minds? I really want to understand it all better!

I think a lot of the reason why Carmel and Avon are consistently at the top comes down to more rehearsal time. No matter how good Texas bands get at managing their time, more rehearsal time always will give out of Texas band an advantage. And I think itā€™s most apparent in color guard. Middle school color guard is not exactly commonplace, so a restriction on rehearsal time really affects how ambitious guards can be because so much of basics learning happens in high school.

I went to the Cedar Ridge v Vandegrift on Friday and got to see Vandy's show. Some crazy good sounds coming out of that band. I'm always impressed by the absurd amount of sound they can pump out, but I imagine having a band as massive as they do helps. Their ballad has a KILLER trombone soloist, definitely look out for him at BoA Austin. I also noticed that they were performing without Shakos. Likely just because it was a football game, but it seemed a little odd since it looked like they had the rest of their uniforms on. Didn't get to see Cedar Ridge since they had their senior night, but I've seen them plenty before this, and they're doing great things as usual.

Interesting.... my son and I was there on the 50 and watched them live. We said the Eagle was flying to Texas this year after their show. Lots of long notes and another soloist, but the sound was not what we expected after an earlier class B smaller band actually surprised us more with their sound. Its all early with plenty of time to clean and change for everyone. Carmel's score was a 69.0 tonight, 10+ over 2nd.

I was actually thinking just the opposite of that... I was at Brownsburg last night as well and I thought this was the best Carmel has sounded, this early in the season, since 2012 (Oh What a Tangled Web).

Ā 

Either way, I imagine that Avon and Carmel will be right there towards the top once Grand Nats rolls around. I also thought Brownsburg has the makings of a really good show... I could see them making it into Semi-finals this year.

Ā 

Ā 

I think a lot of the reason why Carmel and Avon are consistently at the top comes down to more rehearsal time. No matter how good Texas bands get at managing their time, more rehearsal time always will give out of Texas band an advantage. And I think itā€™s most apparent in color guard. Middle school color guard is not exactly commonplace, so a restriction on rehearsal time really affects how ambitious guards can be because so much of basics learning happens in high school.

Ā 

I thought Texas bands generally started their music in May if not earlier for the fall season.Ā  It seems that I saw quite a few YT videos of show themes and opening songs?Ā  I think our kids started getting music mid June then added to it throughout the rest of the season when my kids were in band.Ā  I know we don't have your 8 hour rule and they don't have to wait until Aug to start drill, but I thought Tx was ahead with music.Ā  Ā They do start our kids early with the cadet guard in middle school as does Carmel, then the A guard before the World guard to gain experience.Ā  Texas bands seem to be bigger than the Indiana ones and provide a powerful sound.

I was actually thinking just the opposite of that... I was at Brownsburg last night as well and I thought this was the best Carmel has sounded, this early in the season, since 2012 (Oh What a Tangled Web).

Ā 

Either way, I imagine that Avon and Carmel will be right there towards the top once Grand Nats rolls around. I also thought Brownsburg has the makings of a really good show... I could see them making it into Semi-finals this year.

Their drum line definitely was better than they have been in the past.Ā  I really liked the 2012 show with the amazing flute soloist and how it all flowed together.Ā  Last night didn't "grab me" as others have, but it usually takes a couple of shows for me to really get into one.Ā  We were just blown away with Northview's unexpected sound I guess that I was waiting for Carmel to give it with all their horns.Ā  They do have great low brass support with 18(?) tubas that fill out the chords behind the soloist.Ā  Beginning of the season so most shows are still a work in progress.Ā  I like seeing the early versions and comparing them to the finals to see how everyone grew throughout the season.Ā  I can see Brownsburg and Plainfield making semis this year.

i do wish our guards could begin learning the basics earlier like they do in California and Indiana. Leander has come a long way in just three weeks time, but they could be so much further along if the basics were learned in MS along with more dance technique.

There are a few middle school guards in the state, but not a ton. Cedar Park MS is the only middle school with a color guard in Leander ISD. The program isn't that big on cost from what I know and would be very affordable for other LISD schools. Very odd.

I went to the Cedar Ridge v Vandegrift on Friday and got to see Vandy's show. Some crazy good sounds coming out of that band. I'm always impressed by the absurd amount of sound they can pump out, but I imagine having a band as massive as they do helps. Their ballad has a KILLER trombone soloist, definitely look out for him at BoA Austin. I also noticed that they were performing without Shakos. Likely just because it was a football game, but it seemed a little odd since it looked like they had the rest of their uniforms on. Didn't get to see Cedar Ridge since they had their senior night, but I've seen them plenty before this, and they're doing great things as usual.

Heard that theyā€™re still working on getting uniforms ready for this season